Coaching Mario speaks on Joe Rose

“You have to be able to block it up and you have to scheme it open too. Systematically, it just didn’t fit. They worked for us at Oregon and Alabama, but when you are in a roster transition and it doesn’t fit, you have to find tweaks to make things work."............

That right there is what I wanted to hear Mario say.... Just letting us know he's not afraid to evolve as a Coach... That's important.... You know the environment around you has changed so adjust accordingly..... I like it...
I agree on the admission of failure and willingness to evolve.

However, an element of that quote is also what scared and continues to scare a lot of us re: his perspective. While relying on prior experiences is often helpful, you needed to actually see and experience the worst offense in our lifetime to come to the conclusion that some things that worked for you at Oregon and Alabama might not have worked last season?

Let's hope Mario and crew really learned their lessons and that, going forward, we don't have to knock ourselves out head first into the wall to spark adjustments.

Advertisement
Good answers, although people shouldn't buy into players gaining weight. That weight gain will drop during football practice anyway.

An important part was not mentioned. Paraphrasing Mario, he said it's not that difficult to move on from people whether they find a new job, you help them find a new job, or you just have to move on. He says that can give an opportunity to upgrade and get fresh new ideas in. He said it's not as difficult has people think.

He also said you need a balance in a coach. They need to be able to recruit and coach.

I would encourage everyone to try and listen to this interview at some point.

However, an element of that quote is also what scared and continues to scare a lot of us re: his perspective. While relying on prior experiences is often helpful, you needed to actually see and experience the worst offense in our lifetime to come to the conclusion that some things that worked for you at Oregon and Alabama might not have worked last season?

Let's hope Mario and crew really learned their lessons and that, going forward, we don't have to knock ourselves out head first into the wall to spark adjustments.

I've said this previously, but it's still true.

I don't think Mario was surprised by the lack of talent and depth. I had been hearing from good sources that the talent-deficit was known last spring.

But Mario was surprised at the lack of committment and effort from the players, and even from some key coaches. And I have spoken previously that I think Mario took a lot of peoples' promises to him at face value, and then Mario didn't have anywhere to go when they didn't live up to what they promised to him.

What Mario had at Oregon and Alabama was a different starting point, both with players and coaches. I do think that Mario expected a certain level of Hurricane Pride from many players, and I won't even address the coaching issue at length. Mario is clearly addressing the "too old to care" factor on the coaching staff, and we are better off not even talking about the Gattis disaster.

Advertisement

Valid concern.... My belief is once Mario realized there was a major talent issue he had to suck it up and take it on the chin....
I mean he did say early on that the roster wasn't to his liking so there's that...
Does it excuse some of the coaching decisions throughout the season and some of the losses we took??? Nope...
But it happened... He understands it and is trying to rectify it.... Rebuilds suck but it's where we are..

Well said.

I still have major concerns about his offensive philosophy.

Bored Chris Rock GIF by Bounce

Advertisement

I don't think Mario was surprised by the lack of talent and depth. I had been hearing from good sources that the talent-deficit was known last spring.

But Mario was surprised at the lack of committment and effort from the players, and even from some key coaches. And I have spoken previously that I think Mario took a lot of peoples' promises to him at face value, and then Mario didn't have anywhere to go when they didn't live up to what they promised to him.

What Mario had at Oregon and Alabama was a different starting point, both with players and coaches. I do think that Mario expected a certain level of Hurricane Pride from many players, and I won't even address the coaching issue at length. Mario is clearly addressing the "too old to care" factor on the coaching staff, and we are better off not even talking about the Gattis disaster.
I agree with you. Just reading the room so to speak. Based on his comments, demeanor throughout the season.

His complete unwillingness to bend for any of it is also really the only explanation for watching such an absolute **** show of a team this year. No one was on the same page at all.

Advertisement
I stand beneath the flowing veil of offseason Kool-Aid nectar with my arms lifted, my face turned upward to the glowing optimism of press conference staph and corch-speak, my lips opening wide despite the twenty years of despair and cruel mirages I have choked down in this relentless drought, and I cry out, "I am ready! I am ready! I believe!!"

I hear you and I agree we lacked talent, commitment, and all the other issues. We talked about those on here last Spring. Perhaps we can blame the combination of issues, but I thought we looked entirely worse than we needed to last season.

Not that you're necessarily doing it, but absolving Mario and the staff of all accountability for last season is going too far, though. There were countless amateur, idiot fans (myself included as a know-nothing) who saw the writing on the wall from a "try to do X (Bama or Oregon-like methods) with Y (our roster in terms of more than just physical talent)" last season. We talked about it (doing the best with what we had) non-stop before and after Spring and headed into the season.

Here is one example of the discussion: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

Let's keep it simpler: was there really a need to go out and get someone to lead our offense who'd make TVD look like he forgot how to play football? The Steele decision I can buy into and, oh well, it didn't work out. The Gattis and general offense decision? It's on Mario, IMO, and not because of reliance on promises. If he was lied to by Gattis about what he'd attempt, he should have done his due diligence. Lots of people (even the Michigan loons on Twitter) had Gattis pegged.

Like I said elsewhere, the positive side to this is at least he's made a quick admission and evolution. Doubling down would have been catastrophic.

Advertisement
An important part was not mentioned. Paraphrasing Mario, he said it's not that difficult to move on from people whether they find a new job, you help them find a new job, or you just have to move on. He says that can give an opportunity to upgrade and get fresh new ideas in. He said it's not as difficult has people think.

He also said you need a balance in a coach. They need to be able to recruit and coach.

I would encourage everyone to try and listen to this interview at some point.
And listen with an open mind not with a particular pre-conceived agenda.

Advertisement
Back