Coaching Mario speaks on Joe Rose

Can't disagree with a word he said. Facts: the program has been beaten down and irrelevant for too long. We're like the bully Mike Tyson after he's battered and exposed. Now, everyone wants to taunt - upside down U - and whip his ***.
Mario says all the right things. Proof will be determined on the field.

Advertisement
While that may be partially true, 2017 was our best season in 20 years and 2022 was possibly our worst season in 40 years if not ever.
Feels like he's deflecting from how bad of a year 2022 was by lumping it into the "last 5 years" instead of acknowledging that 2022 was the worst out of all of them and he didn't see it coming.
First of all, he was talking about draft picks.

Secondly, you’re still wrong technically even in your mistaken record 20 year reference because the 2000 2001 2002 and 2003 teams would all love to say hi. (Just saying, for those who don’t understand what 20 years means)

Advertisement
Advertisement
I hear you and I agree we lacked talent, commitment, and all the other issues. We talked about those on here last Spring. Perhaps we can blame the combination of issues, but I thought we looked entirely worse than we needed to last season.

Not that you're necessarily doing it, but absolving Mario and the staff of all accountability for last season is going too far, though. There were countless amateur, idiot fans (myself included as a know-nothing) who saw the writing on the wall from a "try to do X (Bama or Oregon-like methods) with Y (our roster in terms of more than just physical talent)" last season. We talked about it (doing the best with what we had) non-stop before and after Spring and headed into the season.

Here is one example of the discussion: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

Let's keep it simpler: was there really a need to go out and get someone to lead our offense who'd make TVD look like he forgot how to play football? The Steele decision I can buy into and, oh well, it didn't work out. The Gattis and general offense decision? It's on Mario, IMO, and not because of reliance on promises. If he was lied to by Gattis about what he'd attempt, he should have done his due diligence. Lots of people (even the Michigan loons on Twitter) had Gattis pegged.

Like I said elsewhere, the positive side to this is at least he's made a quick admission and evolution. Doubling down would have been catastrophic.
Agree on the not giving him a pass, especially on the coaches, but I also think aside from talent and motivation he realized that a good portion of the roster does not have good football IQ which is why he just went out and hired two coordinators who run system that are easy to pick up.

This is all assumptions by me (someone who has basically zero football IQ), but we have heard about players having issues picking up the playbook (usually offensive players and predating Mario) and we have seen defensive issues first hand (how many times was there an issue with coverage between the CBs and safeties last year). I am not sure if this is a south Florida thing or what and coaches like Gattis, Enos and D'nofrio seem to compound the issue, but I would not be surprised at all if that was a large part of Mario's decision making after being around the team for a year.

Last edited:
Facts. I do think room is better than we think (CYoung takes next step, healthy X, etc).. but I'll lose my mind if we don't go after 1-2 more portal guys
Got to believe the "Gattis negative comments" last Summer regarding the WR room had a real impact on kids performance. Coaches are supposed to be MOTIVATORS, get kids fired up, believe in themselves, try to break through barriers to another level. Gattis totally sucked the energy, desire and spirit out of the WR room ... and the entire offense. What a colossal ***** up that guy was. Unprecedented.

Advertisement
I hear you and I agree we lacked talent, commitment, and all the other issues. We talked about those on here last Spring. Perhaps we can blame the combination of issues, but I thought we looked entirely worse than we needed to last season.

Not that you're necessarily doing it, but absolving Mario and the staff of all accountability for last season is going too far, though. There were countless amateur, idiot fans (myself included as a know-nothing) who saw the writing on the wall from a "try to do X (Bama or Oregon-like methods) with Y (our roster in terms of more than just physical talent)" last season. We talked about it (doing the best with what we had) non-stop before and after Spring and headed into the season.

Here is one example of the discussion: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/my-biggest-questions-going-into-fall-camp.178845/

Let's keep it simpler: was there really a need to go out and get someone to lead our offense who'd make TVD look like he forgot how to play football? The Steele decision I can buy into and, oh well, it didn't work out. The Gattis and general offense decision? It's on Mario, IMO, and not because of reliance on promises. If he was lied to by Gattis about what he'd attempt, he should have done his due diligence. Lots of people (even the Michigan loons on Twitter) had Gattis pegged.

Like I said elsewhere, the positive side to this is at least he's made a quick admission and evolution. Doubling down would have been catastrophic.

Agreed. We could write a book on the Gattis disaster, no exaggeration.

And I've received a lot of interesting information that the Gattis hire coulda/woulda/shoulda been avoidable, but that's gonna be red meat for a vicious crowd. Once he was hired, the roller coaster ride had already started. I don't disagree with you at all on the coaching-decision aspects on offense, and there are both public and private details on all of the disagreements (and efforts to fix those) on offense. There was at least one significant fight among certain coaches, and multiple Mario efforts to get coaches on the same page.

Again, does not ABSOLVE anyone. It just provides context to why stuff got as bad as it did. Gattis was a bad hire, but if he had made even MINIIMAL effort to get through ONE SEASON, he probably could have (once again) gotten out of Dodge City before he was hanged. Instead, he pouted, he fought, he dug his heels, and he made **** INFINITELY worse than it needed to be.

Mario is to blame for the Gattis hiring. Mario is to blame for the investment of trust in Gattis and others. But talking about other components of the problem, such as the players (lack of talent, lack of effort) and other low-energy coaches does not absolve other mistakes.

This is an autopsy where there were multiple contributory causes of death.

Having Young and Horton stepping up would be huge, give us two big matchup problems on the outside. Not sure Ladson has it in him.
I agree. I think Ladson is who he is. Solid production, nothing flashy. He’s not gonna take over a game but a guy that can move the chains on 3rd down

A healthy Restrepo is gonna help these guys a lot too

Advertisement
Facts. I do think room is better than we think (CYoung takes next step, healthy X, etc).. but I'll lose my mind if we don't go after 1-2 more portal guys
I think everyone can agree with that. I think Mario feels even stronger about it than we do which is good.

Last year we whiffed on some big names, from what I was told. Can’t do that again this year. There were some guys that we were after that I was pretty shocked to hear their names so I’m hoping the undercover work this year pans out. Never know who is out there keeping things under wraps.

I’ve been bringing his name up for a couple weeks now , he’s been looking really good in player workouts.
I thought George flashed a bit in Lashlees offense. He can hopefully be a weapon.

Sucks when essentially we lost an entire year of development for all of these guys but somehow Young still stepped up.

My memory is a blur of the beating we received but I don’t remember TVD and Young getting any real meaningful time together either.

- On TVD:
“I was concerned about surrounding him with the caliber of talent that will allow him to be successful,” “You have to be able to block it up and you have to scheme it open too. Systematically, it just didn’t fit. They worked for us at Oregon and Alabama, but when you are in a roster transition and it doesn’t fit, you have to find tweaks to make things work. We didn’t do a good enough job when the injuries piled up. Tyler doesn’t get enough credit. A lot of guys would have run for the hills. He was instrumental in getting guys on board. The guy is motivated and focused on having a great season and a great football team.”

- On the WR room:
“We feel better about wide receiver, not only because of the two guys we have added, but also the uptick in levels of commitment and performance so far by some of the guys that have been here. Jacolby George and Brashard Smith have taken a tremendous step up…All of a sudden these guys have gained eight, ten, 12 pounds and they are grinding. Isaiah Horton hasn’t gotten a chance yet and he is looking great. Xavier Restrepo has always busted his butt. Then you got guys like Ray Ray Joseph and Robby Washington, those guys are impressive dudes that can really roll.”

- Mario mentioned there are a number of guys out recuperating from off season surgeries. Mentions the new guys and others will get plenty of reps,

- On recruiting and the transfer portal: (hints there could be more additions)
“You can never have enough defensive linemen and then experience at every position like a corner than can play in man coverage, a true nickel, a safety,” “You are always looking at different positions and you have to see how you come out from a health standpoint from spring football.”

On the 2022 season:
“We knew it was going to be a difficult challenge…There is a reason we were brought here—and it wasn’t because things were going well. There had to be an upheaval, especially culture wise with the capacity to work, the ability to press and push and be a team that can face adversity and then close a huge talent gap, which is defined by the NFL Draft. The last five years are the worst in recent Miami history. We knew we had to fix it and it stinks and hurts, but you have to be a tough son of a gun and go right back to work.”

On Dawson, new OC:
“He is an elite play-caller and quarterback coach,” “Part of his history is being in the ‘Air-Raid’ system, but as you can see over the last several years, those guys have transformed and evolved into guys that get downhill in the run game with power, counter, split-zone, and pin-and-pull and all that good stuff.” “What we expect is a very explosive enhancement to the offense and a guy that knows how to get the ball to the playmakers with a fortified and enhanced offensive line,”

On Guidry, new DC:
“Schematically, he is really hard to play against—and I have played against him before,” “You are never sure where the pressure is coming from and you are not getting the same picture every snap and that makes it hard for an offense to play against. That is one thing we had to take a drastic step in. Last year we were implementing a system and we stayed vanilla during the course of the year and this defense gives us a chance to be dynamic.” “The thing I like about him is he gets his guys to play really, really, really hard,” “They are flying all over the place and knocking people around. They get to the ball in a hurry and they finish. They are good tacklers and they are schematically aware of where their help is.”
Me gusta!

Advertisement
Back