Mario Cristobal

Saban's wife has been with him longer than Cristobal.

Maybe we should hire her if being in proximity enables one to absorb experience and knowledge to become a good head coach.

We can do a lot better than Cristobal but let's not sit here and act like coaching trees are meaningless in football. Look at the Bill Parcells coaching tree (Bill Belichick, Tom Voughlin, Sean Payton) and the Bill Walsh coaching tree (Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy). It's widely known that some of the best current coaches have spent time under the best former coaches.

With that being said Saban has a few coaches like Muschamp who were absolutely terrible but then a few coaches like Jimbo and Mark D'Antonio, who everyone here loves, that have been successful. It'll be hit or miss but I think Cristobal would be a desperate move.

Advertisement
I don't get it - he was an unremarkable coach, he is not a coordinator, and he used to wear a tie. Heck of a recruiter but no thanks.

If you all want a cane legacy guy from a good coaching tree, why not CJ? Coached under Payton, head coaching experience - he had a decent year for Tulane last year - and he's a great recruiter. Better than wario

Guys like Al and Mario are suspect to me. You need a coach that can do one of two things: identify and develop QB talent or run an elite defense.

If you can't do one of those two things the program will always be dependent on coordinators. Look at Clemson. They spend top dollar on coordinators because their head coach is a boob. If either of clemsons coordinators go dabo has to pray he can find an elite replacement because he can't step in.

If the HC is a master of one side of the ball, the program can focus the coordinator budget on the other side. Look at Jimbo, Cooley bounced and they didn't miss a beat because Jimbo ran that side of the house.

Al unfortunately styles himself as a defensive coach but he learned his trade from grohl who has been driven out of the profession.

For these reasons I'd prefer an assistant coach who like Montgomery from Baylor or a guy from the chip kelly tree to a generalist like Mario.

Hiring Mario as Miami's HC would prove what we already suspected - the UM administration doesn't give a **** about football.

Advertisement
I don't get it - he was an unremarkable coach, he is not a coordinator, and he used to wear a tie. Heck of a recruiter but no thanks.

If you all want a cane legacy guy from a good coaching tree, why not CJ? Coached under Payton, head coaching experience - he had a decent year for Tulane last year - and he's a great recruiter. Better than wario

Although he did coach here, CJ is a University of Idaho grad not a cane legacy. CJ is a great recruiter but I'm not so sure he is HC material but IMO neither is Mario.

Can someone please tell me what the infatuation is with Mario freaking Cristobal? What has he done to earn this job or are we just giving this job away to anyone who is willing to apply?

What did Randy Shannon, Larry Coker or Al Golden really do?

Butch is the best option here, but for all of those wishing harm on Mario's family for leaving UM, he not only gets the last laugh, but vital experience in how to properly run an annual title contender. He would be much better for us now rather than straight from FIU...still, Butch brings it all.

UM

Can someone please tell me what the infatuation is with Mario freaking Cristobal? What has he done to earn this job or are we just giving this job away to anyone who is willing to apply?

What did Randy Shannon, Larry Coker or Al Golden really do?

Butch is the best option here, but for all of those wishing harm on Mario's family for leaving UM, he not only gets the last laugh, but vital experience in how to properly run an annual title contender. He would be much better for us now rather than straight from FIU...still, Butch brings it all.

UM

Exactly so making another hire on the level of Shannon, Coker, or Golden will only be a continuation of what has not worked here. We need a proven guy as our next hire and can not afford to miss.

I like Butch but I don't know if he would be successful here on his second stop. He had some great assistants that helped him develop all the talent that he brought in. I'm not sure if he could recreate that same level of success. Moreover, I doubt this Admin has the balls to hire someone with a checkered past like Butch, so the discussion is probably moot.

Advertisement
If we can't get Fat Mario back then I think we should make a run at Derek Dooley. He had an even longer time with Lil Nicky to soak up those winning ways!

Jesu Christo, this is what we've become. Hoping to get an unproven guy that may have had some success dust rub off on him in passing at another place by another coach whose methods probably don't even translate here. Wake me up when we're only considering guys that have actually done anything on their own and it's not qualified by it being at a Temple or a FIU or within the proximity of a coach you respect but in the meaningless capacity of a positions corch...

Sounds like Miami fans would only be happy with Butch Davis and they curse out anyone else who suggests someone else

Problem: Butch Davis will never be hired here

There are probably 100 more qualified coaches in the country. Legitimately.

And stop this "he's a great recruiter" nonsense. So was Al Golden and James Coley. But if u can't coach, you can't win games, and nobody wants to commit to a loser. Get a real coach in here for a goddam change.

Advertisement
Wears ties. Do not want the Cuban Al Golden.

Mario-Cristobal.jpg

dude isnt een as good as Golden.

The whole FIU thing was a fluke...dude lived off of TY Hilton being superman.

Had better talent available than any of the counterparts in his conference. He isnt an x's and o guy, solid recruiter, completelty clueless in game just like Golden.

Anyone making a case for Kenny Dorsey if we're going down this path? No, didn't think so. Guess what? From an X's and O's perpective alone, Dorsey would be viewed as more knowledable. Don't think so? Who do think would get more consideration tomorrow in an interview for an OC job in the NFL- Fat Mario or Dorsey? Neither (along with Jedd Fisch) belong in this conversation. Again, either get a guy with a legit COMPLETE resume or stfu about a real desire to win. We've gone the in-house/Cane connection route. We've gone the up and comer (that'll come cheap) route. We've gone over a decade of being junk as a result of both.

Advertisement
Probably be my last choice but I fear he would be near the top of our list.

Disaster hire IMO.

I'd rather Randy Shannon(HC) Larry Coker(OC) Al Golden(DC) all on lifetime contracts than one season with Mario ****** Cristobal as the head coach. What an embarrassment that would be. They'd probably just shut down the football program after that.

cristobal is a cane who said his idol was paterno, thats why he wore the tie. No thanks.

Advertisement
Back