Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

I thought before all this that we had 10-11 win potential with a few sports shored up. Def think it’s now Acc champ game and top 15-20.

But in the event everything goes our way and Ward is all we bargained for I can’t wait to hear that 20 million get tossed around everywhere. Because it’s prob not that high and much more in line with what others are spending…but we pay our bills.

Advertisement
Giving Mario $20M worth of players... don't care how good of friends they are or how much they love the program.. buddy better figure it out on the sidelines or this thing is going to come to screeching halt and money will dry up. You pull some more Georgia Tech BS or even something like letting Jacolby George walk all over him and rack up 3 stupid personal fouls... that generosity will be gone. People don't mess around with that kind of money regardless of what they're worth.

It's the Cam Ward effect. Big money people believe in him and want to throw in behind him. He's a national championship level QB and those don't come around often, so why let the moment go to waste. Nobody wants to waste the Cam Ward season and lose a few games because we couldn't get our defensive line figured out, for example. So load it up. It's throwing good money after good. They feel like Cam is a good horse to bet on and build around IMO, and I agree with them.

Giving Mario $20M worth of players... don't care how good of friends they are or how much they love the program.. buddy better figure it out on the sidelines or this thing is going to come to screeching halt and money will dry up. You pull some more Georgia Tech BS or even something like letting Jacolby George walk all over him and rack up 3 stupid personal fouls... that generosity will be gone. People don't mess around with that kind of money regardless of what they're worth.
Always one who has to **** in the pool. Let us enjoy the offseason before beating us over the head with reality. That will come soon enough.

I’m probably being irrational and irresponsible with this take but failing to live up to expectations this season probably equates to the final nail in the coffin for this program.

Playoffs or bust baby.

Bust = ain’t no one gonna want us in their conference and you probably lose the locker room and financial support you had.

Maybe a 9 win regular season doesn’t totally ruin Mario’s future success here. But it will absolutely be an uphill battle with like 10% chance of coming out alive.
You're not wrong. Anything less than 10 wins with this QB and this schedule, and I don't know how you recover from that. Our biggest and most important year in my time as a fan that I can remember. Now or never baby!!!!!

Educated/Estimated guesses back to the winter period:
Ward - $1.5M
Clark - $300k
Cook - $200k
Carpenter - $200k
Riley - $150k
Powell - $250k
Poffenbarger - $150k
Alston - $300k

Post Spring Targets:
Martinez - $500k
Brown - $300k
Alderman - $200k
Hill - $200k
Barrow - $750k
Harmon - $750k
Baron - $350k

Winter portal period - $2.85M
Spring portal period - $3.05M
Total - $5.9M

I would guess portal attrition off-sets this number by about $2.5-3.5M range.
If we're paying Cook $200k, he better be way better than Deen was last year. I had him pegged as an equivalent. Riley is $150k? Carpenter $200k? We're about to drop nearly $2M for 3 DL?

I'm in, but where is Jonah Hill's character from Moneyball?

Can we find a DB who can play #2 (inside) WRs, please? Pay him in bitcoin or something.

Advertisement
I’m probably being irrational and irresponsible with this take but failing to live up to expectations this season probably equates to the final nail in the coffin for this program.

Playoffs or bust baby.

Bust = ain’t no one gonna want us in their conference and you probably lose the locker room and financial support you had.

Maybe a 9 win regular season doesn’t totally ruin Mario’s future success here. But it will absolutely be an uphill battle with like 10% chance of coming out alive.
Short of Ward getting hurt you’ve got almost no excuses. Even with the woes at QB last season, FSU, Louisville and GT could/should’ve been wins. Thats 10. **** through NCST in there too. Obviously cherry picking cause UVA & Clemson could’ve gone the other way.

Point being you land 5-7 of the top 15 transfers with the last two freshman classes, you don’t have an excuse to not at a minimum play for the conference title.

I’m “gearing” up for a post Spring bench session

Keep that low key….
Bench Press Gym GIF by Ben L

Most of that was sarcasm btw

What you first responded to was an obvious statement I made and it did make me feel worse after typing it out. The rest was a joke.

It is what it is. Not my money... or very little of my money in the grand scheme of things. The ones giving the money were only giving if it was Mario Cristobal so this is how it has to be. I'm aware he's working hard and crushing recruiting and I absolutely hope they kill it in the next week and lock in all of these guys so we can finally win the ACC. Just not getting my hopes up.
I'm getting my hopes up, because it maybe the last time😆

Advertisement
If we're able to hit on 75% of the portal targets we have over the next week & don't get a crazy amount of injuries... if we're not playing for the ACC championship and making the 12 man playoffs then something's cooked.

If we can’t win with Ward and a loaded roster full of impact transfers (if it happens), just fold the program and put us out our misery

It's the Cam Ward effect. Big money people believe in him and want to throw in behind him. He's a national championship level QB and those don't come around often, so why let the moment go to waste. Nobody wants to waste the Cam Ward season and lose a few games because we couldn't get our defensive line figured out, for example. So load it up. It's throwing good money after good. They feel like Cam is a good horse to bet on and build around IMO, and I agree with them.
Amazing all this happened after the spring game. The big 💰 people got to see Ward in a game like setting now they all in

The best part is we don’t have to wait long. National statement game against our arch rival, who sucks, at their place. It won’t “tell me all I need to know” as is repeated ad nauseam around here, but can’t think of a better barometer

The best part is we don’t have to wait long. National statement game against our arch rival, who sucks, at their place. It won’t “tell me all I need to know” as is repeated ad nauseam around here, but can’t think of a better barometer
It is THE START for sure. Amazing how many Gators believe they have a shot at 7-0 for their initial 7 games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back