Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

View attachment 287768

Espn Sport GIF by SEC Network
Jamming Jay Z GIF

Advertisement
I hate to even try to say this coming off of 5-7 and 7-6 but....

If you're ever going to do this and go for it, it's 2024. Saban gone, Georgia is still elite but they're not what they were in their 2 championship seasons, Ohio State doesn't have an NFL QB, etc.

The 2 teams to beat right now in my eyes is Texas and Oregon. Loaded rosters. But beatable. Get to the playoffs and see what happens.

Advertisement
I hate to even try to say this coming off of 5-7 and 7-6 but....

If you're ever going to do this and go for it, it's 2024. Saban gone, Georgia is still elite but they're not what they were in their 2 championship seasons, Ohio State doesn't have an NFL QB, etc.

The 2 teams to beat right now in my eyes is Texas and Oregon. Loaded rosters. But beatable. Get to the playoffs and see what happens.

I think long term too. Saban and Harbaugh just bounced. Ryan Day is a donkey. Kalen Deboer got the ******* Bama job, that should tell you what you need to know. The sport hasn’t been more wide open in a loooong time, from a coaching perspective and now with schools like Miami being able to finally legally compete with paying kids.

It’s time.

Advertisement
Giving Mario $20M worth of players... don't care how good of friends they are or how much they love the program.. buddy better figure it out on the sidelines or this thing is going to come to screeching halt and money will dry up. You pull some more Georgia Tech BS or even something like letting Jacolby George walk all over him and rack up 3 stupid personal fouls... that generosity will be gone. People don't mess around with that kind of money regardless of what they're worth.

Giving Mario $20M worth of players... don't care how good of friends they are or how much they love the program.. buddy better figure it out on the sidelines or this thing is going to come to screeching halt and money will dry up. You pull some more Georgia Tech BS or even something like letting Jacolby George walk all over him and rack up 3 stupid personal fouls... that generosity will be gone. People don't mess around with that kind of money regardless of what they're worth.
As it should be. Mario wanted Miami to put their money where their mouth is. Seems like they are. Now he needs to hold up his end.

Feel better now? You think Mario isn't aware? So are his $$ supporters.

Correct 1000%. There was already immense pressure on this season. Now you’ve convinced your bankroll to be arguably the most aggressive team in the country in the portal? That won’t last long if you don’t win. If they really do get all these kids that are visiting, for one that means they spent a ****load of money. For two, it’s all-in time, so slap your nuts on the table or don’t ask again. MASSIVE season incoming for the future of the program.

Advertisement
Feel better now? You think Mario isn't aware? So are his $$ supporters.
No. I feel worse now that I put it out there.

Gave a .500 coach $24M to come here in 2022 and then $20M worth of players in 2024.

I'd really like to more included in these decisions on where my $20 a month is being allocated. No one has consulted me on what DT that I want.

Advertisement
This is fun

So how much would a portal class like that cost?Gotta be a few million at least
Educated/Estimated guesses back to the winter period:
Ward - $1.5M
Clark - $300k
Cook - $200k
Carpenter - $200k
Riley - $150k
Powell - $250k
Poffenbarger - $150k
Alston - $300k

Post Spring Targets:
Martinez - $500k
Brown - $300k
Alderman - $200k
Hill - $200k
Barrow - $750k
Harmon - $750k
Baron - $350k

Winter portal period - $2.85M
Spring portal period - $3.05M
Total - $5.9M

I would guess portal attrition off-sets this number by about $2.5-3.5M range.

No. I feel worse now that I put it out there.

Gave a .500 coach $24M to come here in 2022 and then $20M worth of players in 2024.

I'd really like to more included in these decisions on where my $20 a month is being allocated. No one has consulted me on what DT that I want.
Okay ... the old ".500 coach" approach. No credit given for taking an FIU program that was 0-12 the year prior and winning his conference a couple of years later. Yes ... he screwed up big time with the Gattis hire, had brain fart issues on the sidelines last year. Let's see what he does with 2024 before you step off the ledge. And ... nobody "gave him $24M to come ... regardless of how much you want to call his buyout money payable to Oregon "compensation". Mario needs to win 10 regular season minimum, and I believe he needs to win the ACC Championship. Guy made mistakes but didn't stop working. His portal attack at this moment is epic.

Okay ... the old ".500 coach" approach. No credit given for taking an FIU program that was 0-12 the year prior and winning his conference a couple of years later. Yes ... he screwed up big time with the Gattis hire, had brain fart issues on the sidelines last year. Let's see what he does with 2024 before you step off the ledge. And ... nobody "gave him $24M to come ... regardless of how much you want to call his buyout money payable to Oregon "compensation". Mario needs to win 10 regular season minimum, and I believe he needs to win the ACC Championship. Guy made mistakes but didn't stop working. His portal attack at this moment is epic.
Most of that was sarcasm btw

What you first responded to was an obvious statement I made and it did make me feel worse after typing it out. The rest was a joke.

It is what it is. Not my money... or very little of my money in the grand scheme of things. The ones giving the money were only giving if it was Mario Cristobal so this is how it has to be. I'm aware he's working hard and crushing recruiting and I absolutely hope they kill it in the next week and lock in all of these guys so we can finally win the ACC. Just not getting my hopes up.

I’m probably being irrational and irresponsible with this take but failing to live up to expectations this season probably equates to the final nail in the coffin for this program.

Playoffs or bust baby.

Bust = ain’t no one gonna want us in their conference and you probably lose the locker room and financial support you had.

Maybe a 9 win regular season doesn’t totally ruin Mario’s future success here. But it will absolutely be an uphill battle with like 10% chance of coming out alive.

Advertisement
Back