Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Advertisement
I don't understand how people are just so happy to lose guys with crazy high talent and super high ceiling after their 1st seasons. Sets a bad standard
Who says he has a crazy high ceiling and crazy high talent. Do you because of his 247 ranking? If the coaches who coach him and see him everyday and don’t think he lives up to the ranking and cost, there’s gotta be something to it. It happens, a lot. Don’t think anybody wants him to go. But Oline is a developmental position. If he costs as high as he does, and isn’t producing as expected, is it worth it to burn the $ there? I highly doubt the coaches are forcing him out. If they are, they are seeing something we clearly don’t. We have about as much optimism as we have had for a season in awhile. If he doesn’t want to be here it is what it is. No sense in melting down over it, especially if he doesn’t make or break the season.

I'm all for building through high school signing 22 to 25 guys then have a extra 5 guys from portal sprinkled in. But that's if we actually keep and develop the high school guys. Like you said this is starting to defeat the purpose of getting excited with High school recruiting

We don't have the UGA depth where they can lose 8 to 10 blue chip guys a year but the rest the do keep are high 4 to 5 star guys.

In his 2 classes (I don’t count 2022) Mario has signed 30 kids who are 4 or 5 stars per 247.

TWO of those kids are no longer on the roster. Two. Out of 30. Collins and Wayne. What am I missing here? Who is saying push out or “cut” blue chip kids? Who is asking for this?

We are building the roster through HS recruiting. By signing 30 four or five stars and keeping 28 of them (so far) in 2 classes.

What you’re seeing a little more of this year is, frankly, desperation. Mario knows he can’t have a clunker in year 3. And he knows the fastest way to having a good team is to replace the turnover machine we had at QB last year with an elite player. So what did he do? He hid under Cam Ward’s bed for 6 weeks till he got him. And what did that do? Instantly raised the floor and ceiling for this team. Well, ****. We got 28 blue chips in the past 2 years. We got some other good kids. We got an elite QB. I know I HAVE to win this year or I’m pretty much cooked. I gotta dip into the portal a little more than maybe I’d like because I have to win now. I love Robert Stafford, I think he’s a baller. But I can’t risk losing a game because of a true freshman. Get me Hill on Line 1. Fill some holes, etc etc.

This isn’t hard to understand. The landscape of the sport is changing and has changed. Massively. And Mario’s mindset has too because of how poor the first 2 years went, as well as having a 1 year window with a Top 10 player at the most important position in the sport.

Last edited:
Advertisement

UCF got Penny Boone due to credits not transferring to UK. Is this another possible hint as to why this guy has seemed to be lacking interest from others?

**** UCF might as well sign CJ West while they're at it and beat UF in the fall

Who says he has a crazy high ceiling and crazy high talent. Do you because of his 247 ranking? If the coaches who coach him and see him everyday and don’t think he lives up to the ranking and cost, there’s gotta be something to it. It happens, a lot. Don’t think anybody wants him to go. But Oline is a developmental position. If he costs as high as he does, and isn’t producing as expected, is it worth it to burn the $ there? I highly doubt the coaches are forcing him out. If they are, they are seeing something we clearly don’t. We have about as much optimism as we have had for a season in awhile. If he doesn’t want to be here it is what it is. No sense in melting down over it, especially if he doesn’t make or break the season.

I was just going off the clips we seen last summer and limited film even tho it was lesser competition. Then projecting the same way they project Bell thinking long term. Makes you wonder if spending huge money on trenche players is the wisest investment since they take longer to develop.

But the coaches will figure it, just hard to follow all these moving pieces on a weekly basis. Makes me just want to tune in around August when the roster finalized.

I'm all for building through high school signing 22 to 25 guys then have a extra 5 guys from portal sprinkled in. But that's if we actually keep and develop the high school guys. Like you said this is starting to defeat the purpose of getting excited with High school recruiting

We don't have the UGA depth where they can lose 8 to 10 blue chip guys a year but the rest the do keep are high 4 to 5 star guys.
That isn't realistic anymore.

Advertisement
I was just going off the clips we seen last summer and limited film even tho it was lesser competition. Then projecting the same way they project Bell thinking long term. Makes you wonder if spending huge money on trenche players is the wisest investment since they take longer to develop.

But the coaches will figure it, just hard to follow all these moving pieces on a weekly basis. Makes me just want to tune in around August when the roster finalized.
Facts, I hear that. Hard to be as invested in the offseason. I def think o line is developmental, and money is probably well spent elsewhere. Unless you’re certain of the player. I know he’s from Massachusetts and they probably have the WORST football in the country. Probably hard to translate that high school tape. We’ll see what happens, I hope he stays. I think he does have a bright future.

In his 2 classes (I don’t count 2022) Mario has signed 30 kids who are 4 or 5 stars per 247.

TWO of those kids are no longer on the roster. Two. Out of 30. Collins and Wayne. What am I missing here? Who is saying push out or “cut” blue chip kids? Who is asking for this?

We are building the roster through HS recruiting. By signing 30 four or five stars and keeping 28 of them (so far) in 2 classes.

What you’re seeing a little more of this year is, frankly, desperation. Mario knows he can’t have a clunker in year 3. And he knows the fastest way to having a good team is to replace the turnover machine we had at QB last year with an elite player. So what did he do? He hid under Cam Ward’s bed for 6 weeks till he got him. And what did that do? Instantly raised the floor and ceiling for this team. Well, ****. We got 28 blue chips in the past 2 years. We got some other good kids. We got an elite QB. I know I HAVE to win this year or I’m pretty much cooked. I gotta dip into the portal a little more than maybe I’d like because I have to win now. I love Robert Stafford, I think he’s a baller. But I can’t risk losing a game because of a true freshman. Get me Hill on Line 1. Fill some holes, etc etc.

This isn’t hard to understand. The landscape of the sport is changing and has changed. Massively. And Mario’s mindset has too because of how poor the first 2 years went, as well as having a 1 year window with a Top 10 player at the most important position in the sport.

Yea they pressure of year 3 win now is very real like you said and we could find lightning in a bottle with Cam ward this year like when LSU got Burrow. I can't blame them add to the roster where there is virtually no or very few weaknesses at all.

just me being a fan just want them to keep all of the highly ranked or talented guys with NFL potential for 3 to 4 years

‘wins are all that matters right now’
So we sign portal kids who half will suck anyway because they all do and lose potentially really strong players who you are responsible for developing

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back