Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

I agree I think the passing game in general including the TE we should have a solid advantage if the TE gets used like it's been hyped. I think they have a solid advantage at the running game though, I have no faith in our running game as of right now either though.

This. I think people on here are mixing together Cam lighting it up + reported WR & TE production reports coming out of camp, and assuming that means we're better than FSU at WR. In totality we're better on offense, IMO, and it's not even close. But as of right now, Restrepo is the only true differentiated WR across the two groups.

... IF George steps up, IF Horton steps up, IF Ray Ray or Jojo or Carr become phenoms, and/or IF we grab a headliner out of the portal, only then will we be more than an X better than FSU at WR. ... Of course, the Noles could argue the same hypotheticals on their side.

Advertisement
It’s not a trash FSU’s WR room level while anointing ours difference like some think.
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

This. I think people on here are mixing together Cam lighting it up + reported WR & TE production reports coming out of camp, and assuming that means we're better than FSU at WR. In totality we're better on offense, IMO, and it's not even close. But as of right now, Restrepo is the only true differentiated WR across the two groups.

... IF George steps up, IF Horton steps up, IF Ray Ray or Jojo or Carr become phenoms, and/or IF we grab a headliner out of the portal, only then will we be more than an X better than FSU at WR. ... Of course, the Noles could argue the same hypotheticals on their side.
Per @Bender previous post

Jacoby George had a 800+ yd, 8 TD season with a 5, 153, 2 TD day vs Florida State playing with Emory Williams.

That is quite a bit of production, granted the penalties are enough to drive you mad,

Advertisement
Per @Bender previous post

Jacoby George had a 800+ yd, 8 TD season with a 5, 153, 2 TD day vs Florida State playing with Emory Williams.

That is quite a bit of production, granted the penalties are enough to drive you mad,

Talent out the ***. Head full of rocks. Sounds like Beard “might” have gotten through to him. But that’s a hopeful projection.

As it relates to the secondary and our likelihood of targeting a CB and Safety in the Portal... what type of players are we looking at there? I was thinking we likely need a high-end 1-year rental starter at Safety... like a Jacoby Mathews, to sure up that room. At CB, while I'm sure we all want a top guy, it's more likely we'll go after a younger (RS-Fr. or Soph) developmental type of guy (similar to Richard last year). Thoughts?

Advertisement
When you know you’ve made a good point with that final confirmation. Lol

👇

View attachment 285845

:ibis-roflmao-sm3:
I can get behind FSU completely over blowing their WR core because they clearly lack proven production..

Now there’s a lot of potential there for sure, anyone denying that is being biased. We desperately wanted Hykeem and Jalen Brown out of high school, and the tune changed real quick when we didn’t land either one. They could bust…they also could not.

But when it comes to our WRs, we don’t have anyone proven after Restrepo and George. George is “proven” but he’s also a known headcase and can check out of games. So in reality, we have one reliable WR (and a **** good one) for a bonafide top 10 QB. That’s why I want another portal guy, someone proven in games and not on the practice field…someone that we can rely on in key moments and not waste the talent Ward possesses.

People have a very short memory on Horton. He looked borderline unusable in multiple games last season. There were plays that he ran the wrong route or just looked completely confused out there. And yet, now he’s going to be a stud. He had two games with multiple receptions…and one was the bowl game. Again, far from reliable.

The light certainly could have turned on, or it could be propaganda from the Hecht as the reason why we’re not going after a WR in the portal ($$ + upsetting current players) - hence Horton is the goods now and the freshmen are unguardable.

Obviously I don’t want to clown the kid because he seems like a hard worker and the potential is there, but I’ve been fooled too many times by the Greentree reports. I mean I hope he balls out, if he has more than 600 yds receiving as WR3, we should probably win 9-10 games…but I’m not one to rest on laurels, especially when those laurels had less than 120 yds receiving a year ago.

By the way, two weeks til the Portal opens for the Spring. April 15th.

What we decide to do (or not do) during this period will be very interesting to obvserve…and potentially a fascinating dichotomy with the Spring reports.

Actions speak louder than words. Huge two weeks for the current players on the roster as well. Everything is taken with a grain of salt in the Spring, but this will be the last chance to upgrade the roster…and potentially the last chance for for current players to prove they can be relied on during games.

By the way, two weeks til the Portal opens for the Spring. April 15th.

What we decide to do (or not do) during this period will be very interesting to obvserve…and potentially a fascinating dichotomy with the Spring reports.

Actions speak louder than words. Huge two weeks for the current players on the roster as well. Everything is taken with a grain of salt in the Spring, but this will be the last chance to upgrade the roster…and potentially the last chance for for current players to prove they can be relied on during games.

Entirely agree. Lots of love for Horton, Trader, Carr, Ray Ray and Robby. Same with George pre-injury. But should that change the original strategy to be aggressive in the portal for a WR1? I personally think we should be all in and highly proactive on finding one. It's not tampering to call up a family member or former high school coach of a kid playing elsewhere just to let them know how impressed you are with their boy.

Advertisement
Entirely agree. Lots of love for Horton, Trader, Carr, Ray Ray and Robby. Same with George pre-injury. But should that change the original strategy to be aggressive in the portal for a WR1? I personally think we should be all in and highly proactive on finding one. It's not tampering to call up a family member or former high school coach of a kid playing elsewhere just to let them know how impressed you are with their boy.
I’m with you. When you have a QB like Cam Ward (especially for one year), you go all in. I don’t care who you upset or how much money it costs, you do everything in your power to mitigate any potential holes in the offense. And this is on top of not having a true RB1 on the roster, you’d think we’d go extra hard on the passing game.

It’s not my money, so yes I understand it’s easy for me to make a claim like this. But it almost seems like common sense. Wouldn’t you want to do anything and everything possible to give Cam another reliable weapon? Our offense would be borderline elite with another WR1-caliber guy to go along with a top 5 slot receiver in the country and a guy like George who when his head is on straight, can produce WR1 numbers game-by-game? And Horton as WR4, two talented freshmen making noise, not to mention the sophomores…

We’ll see come portal time. I still think if the right guy makes himself available, we’ll pursue. Especially a guy that can stretch the field…now you’ve got George and said WR going deep, opening the middle for Restrepo and the TE’s. Texas gave zero ***** adding Mitchell to their WR core last year, and look what that did to the offense. Oregon gave zero ***** adding Holden, Johnson and Bryant, and they nearly made the playoff.

That’s the attitude Mario needs to have in the portal. I give no ***** about people’s feelings, give me ballers and give me wins.

Last edited:
I see two scenarios at WR I'm not buying Horton all the sudden being a quality starter at all and that's just my opinion so scenario one bring in a #1 an let Horton be the Wr#4,5 that he is an it would take this offense to the next level! #2 ANYONE discounting George as a player is just dumb asf dude put up 800+ last year with the QB ****tin the bed! Ride with What we have George and X will get around a 1000 each if they stay healthy. Trader, Carr, Horton, Arroyo, Lofton, Willams and Ray Ray is a good bit of Talent! Personally I'm stuck on the fence maybe I need to see the spring game but I'd move George to X Jojo at Z with Restrepo in the slot! I think Jojo finally steps out of the shadows of Smith an give us a AR type freshman year. But yall need to stop with the George bs dude made some mistakes but he was a baller numbers don't lie!

Advertisement
I see two scenarios at WR I'm not buying Horton all the sudden being a quality starter at all and that's just my opinion so scenario one bring in a #1 an let Horton be the Wr#4,5 that he is an it would take this offense to the next level! #2 ANYONE discounting George as a player is just dumb asf dude put up 800+ last year with the QB ****tin the bed! Ride with What we have George and X will get around a 1000 each if they stay healthy. Trader, Carr, Horton, Arroyo, Lofton, Willams and Ray Ray is a good bit of Talent! Personally I'm stuck on the fence maybe I need to see the spring game but I'd move George to X Jojo at Z with Restrepo in the slot! I think Jojo finally steps out of the shadows of Smith an give us a AR type freshman year. But yall need to stop with the George bs dude made some mistakes but he was a baller numbers don't lie!

Why do you not buy Horton possibly being a quality starter and then call people who discount George dumb as ****. George took 3 years to finally become a quality starter. Horton is entering year 3 and has shown flashes. Guys improve every year so to say he cant breakout like George did last year is an interesting statement.

Dont think Horton can be the #1 but i think he ends up being better than George in his career.

Why do you not buy Horton possibly being a quality starter and then call people who discount George dumb as ****. George took 3 years to finally become a quality starter. Horton is entering year 3 and has shown flashes. Guys improve every year so to say he cant breakout like George did last year is an interesting statement.

Dont think Horton can be the #1 but i think he ends up being better than George in his career.
My opinion on Horton is he's a one trick pony an his body type not made for that one trick he got which is running streaks! He caught a couple deep balls last year if didn't we wouldn't have heard nothing about him one being against Texas a&m so it was talked about. As far as depending on him as a starter or being in George's league I don't see it. He definitely won't put up George numbers in his career at Miami that's almost laughable. You even contradicted yourself by saying he's not a number 1 well he's not a #2 or #3 either soooo.. what we talking about hear my friend?

And to answer about George his first 2 years did you not see our offense? His first year he was a true fresh skinny and had players ahead of him understandable, second year all I gotta say is Gatass

My opinion on Horton is he's a one trick pony an his body type not made for that one trick he got which is running streaks! He caught a couple deep balls last year if didn't we wouldn't have heard nothing about him one being against Texas a&m so it was talked about. As far as depending on him as a starter or being in George's league I don't see it. He definitely won't put up George numbers in his career at Miami that's almost laughable. You even contradicted yourself by saying he's not a number 1 well he's not a #2 or #3 either soooo.. what we talking about hear my friend?

George wasn't the #1 on the team last year and wont be this year. Our #1 option is X.

Advertisement
Back