Jim Larranaga should resign

Advertisement
“If the coach hadn’t had really successful years in the past years everyone would be calling for his head”

Well yea thats why we aren’t because he has earned the benefit of the doubt and should get the chance to bounce back from this terrible year lol

I believe the get rid of Coach L is the same banter we heard during these years. No he shouldn't have an endless rope. This team has no depth some their own doing by not playing young guys early int he year. Pack has shot miserably most of the year and Beverly I will never usnnderstand having a green light to shoot bricks.

1709206505582.png

This was a down year...real bad year...probably the most disappointing I can remember. Such high expectations and...just nothing. Everything that can go wrong went wrong. Sucks.

I get where OP is coming from...we've just had too many highs with Coach...after last year's run, I'll never not think he's got another in him.

Yeah I think the consensus opinion in this thread has the right idea, although obviously this was a very disappointing season that was at least partially brought about by L's mishandling of the roster in the offseason, the man has done so much for the UM basketball program that it would seem insane to fire him, particularly with a fairly good recruiting class coming in. Honestly I think Coach L will do his best efforts to convince the right players to stay and grab a couple big transfer portal guys and make next year his last run. I think if we have another disastrous season in 2024-2025 he will actually just retire on his own accord, so I really doubt it gets to the point where he makes UM have to actually make the decision to fire him (I could be wrong there, but that is just the vibe I get with him).

Advertisement
Id just like to have one year where we have a semi-complete roster. Where you actually have 2-3 players on the bench that can play. And that if one guy in the starting 5 isn't there, we can still win a game. For such a great coach, the number of season where we have basically 5 players is insane to me. They don't all need to be stars, but guys that can you know, dribble a ball better than my 7 year old would be great.

After looking at mess the baseball program is in, we might just be better off having Coach L stay until he’s 80 so he can outlast the abortion of an AD Rad is

Id just like to have one year where we have a semi-complete roster. Where you actually have 2-3 players on the bench that can play. And that if one guy in the starting 5 isn't there, we can still win a game. For such a great coach, the number of season where we have basically 5 players is insane to me. They don't all need to be stars, but guys that can you know, dribble a ball better than my 7 year old would be great.

His problem is he never feels it is necessary to have a full roster... then talks about injuries and not enough personnel

His problem is he never feels it is necessary to have a full roster... then talks about injuries and not enough personnel
Agreed. Its always driven me crazy about him but he's also easily the best coach we've ever had so hard to complain too much. I just don't understand how we can't have a 6-9 of decent players, even if we get them from smaller conferences to just play a role. Drives me crazy. Last game we got 2pts from the bench as we trot out Djobet and Jakai. No disrespect to them, but they shouldn't be playing. And Casey is not an ACC player either, unless he's like your 3rd big that rarely stands up outside of timeouts. It drives me crazy.

Advertisement
Well, this board is dead...
We can discuss whether I should drive 90 minutes Saturday to try and get Coach L's autograph (and watch yet another ugly loss.) Spent way over $50 for the ticket, sigh, good seat, too.

We can discuss whether I should drive 90 minutes Saturday to try and get Coach L's autograph (and watch yet another ugly loss.) Spent way over $50 for the ticket, sigh, good seat, too.
Let fate decide? Put it up for sale on the secondary market at a reasonable recovery of your losses. If it sells by Friday you’re free, and if it doesn’t go see if you can threaten L to victory like Inday did in Blacksburg.

OTOH, I absolutely would not drive 90 minutes to see this team play. I’m barely willing to drive 20 minutes on Wednesday (although it is a convenient excuse to avoid most of the baseball game).

My wife and I had every intention of going down for a game this yr and by mid-season I knew it wasn't worth it...I'm also coming from st augustine so that's like 5 hrs...does Coach L sign autographs on gamedays?

Advertisement
At this point, this team is on intramural mode. No real coaching or game plan.
Just go out there and shoot 3s or whatever goes.

Can we skip the ACC tourney?

My wife and I had every intention of going down for a game this yr and by mid-season I knew it wasn't worth it...I'm also coming from st augustine so that's like 5 hrs...does Coach L sign autographs on gamedays?
I was joking... not that i have seen. I took scanes advice and listed my ticket on stubhub... no bites yet. so despite a day of steady thundershowers, i guess ill be there rootin softly (for fear of spear)

Advertisement
2 things can be true of Coach L. He can be the best basketball coach this school has ever had, and he has also done one of the worst coaching jobs of any HC in America this season.

He can't even get the team to play hard for 40 minutes at this point.

Embarrassing performance from this bunch. No guts, no pride, soft as charmin.

2 things can be true of Coach L. He can be the best basketball coach this school has ever had, and he has also done one of the worst coaching jobs of any HC in America this season.

He can't even get the team to play hard for 40 minutes at this point.

Embarrassing performance from this bunch. No guts, no pride, soft as charmin.
He looks completely checked out. Not sure if the runs the past two years wore him out or if it was simply this year’s squad doing him in.

We’ve really never had a target on our backs like we did coming into this season and he’s always managed to extract everything from team’s he’s coached in the past, even in lean years

At this point, this team is on intramural mode. No real coaching or game plan.
Just go out there and shoot 3s or whatever goes.

Can we skip the ACC tourney?
they checked out weeks ago it feels like.. the losses and injuries added up and defeated an already mentally fragile team...

Trillie Donovan was interviewed by Matt Norlander this week and alluded to some major ACC coaching news breaking in the next few weeks

Advertisement
Back