Jim Harbaugh on the most important position group

my guy, i love reading your posts, but snarky gif uses won't change my mind one bit.

if you feel that way, cool, i feel differently about it. at least i can explain my position based on what i see on the field and not use the gif of a gator because im too lazy to make an explanation
Brother like I explained I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. The point in the gif was simply while everyone keeps trying to pick an example that proves JIM HARBAUGH wrong, there's tons of examples that's prove him to be right *** well. No pressure though. It's the purpose of having our own brains right.

Advertisement
I could've just as easily said Stetson Bennett (he got much better 2nd title so I didn't). Several of the recent Bama teams (Jake Coker, Freshman Hurts). Not discrediting your point. Bold is true.

All I'm saying is most of these teams that have won the past 15 years have several things in common.. Dominant OL, great defenses (minus LSU), elite skill positions.. while QB play has been more sporadic.
This is the point I always try to make - it goes way beyond just OL & QB

You can win a NC with any 1 or 2 positions being average as long as ALL other position groups are elite.

2014 - OSU - Average QB Cardale Jones. But had Ezekiel Elliott & Michael Thomas
2015 - Alabama - Average QB Jacob Coker. But had Derrick Henry & Calvin Ridley
2018 - Clemson - Average OL But Had Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Tee Higgins

IMO Offensive success is a sum of all the position groups. Just looking at OL & QB isn't enough.

Like - can anyone name an NC example of Great OL & Great QB but average skill positions players? Auburn/Cam Newton is the closest example I can think of.

Last edited:
NFL career had nothing to do with college. Miami has had more NFL success at O line than Clemson so why were you hyping their O line, if mone of those guys made it in the league?

Malik won games. That’s all that mattered. I didn’t think he was good but he was the best option at the time. And I know we’re not arguing how lucky that team was.
You can have a great/elite college ol without many top draft picks. Oline is the only position group really where the unit as a whole grade is all that matters.

Rosier sucked.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Brother like I explained I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. The point in the gif was simply while everyone keeps trying to pick an example that proves JIM HARBAUGH wrong, there's tons of examples that's prove him to be right *** well. No pressure though. It's the purpose of having our own brains right.
Bama won those titles cause the OL, and Dorsey at UM never got touched that OL was all time and that team was all time cause of it.

Did we not just have an elite OL & Avg. QB?
We had a "very good" OL throughout the season.

Our QB passer rating for the year was 140. The mean for CFB was 135 +/-.
So, on the average, we were...average.

The problem is, in 6 games, our QB play was not only below average...it was BAD.

Replace just average QB play with bad QB play vs GT, NC St, and FSU and I'm thinking we can add a few more W's for '23.

Advertisement
Bama won those titles cause the OL, and Dorsey at UM never got touched that OL was all time and that team was all time cause of it.
Our quarterbacks barely got hit in 2023. The more time our QB had, the worse his passing got. You can protect a mediocre quarterback all day but if he can’t make plays, you don’t win.

Our quarterbacks barely got hit in 2023. The more time our QB had, the worse his passing got. You can protect a mediocre quarterback all day but if he can’t make plays, you don’t win.
Bad qb and Mediocre are two different things....I saw him as a terrible QB. If he was able to run at least we win more games just on that alone

Advertisement
Bad qb and Mediocre are two different things....I saw him as a terrible QB. If he was able to run at least we win more games just on that alone
Nah he was mediocre. Sometimes great sometimes bad. If he was terrible, we would have went like 3-9 last year.

It’s an interesting point because yes, without a good OL, you have zero time to throw the ball as a QB or holes to run through as an RB.

But I’d argue an OL can’t solely win you a natty, it just sets the foundation for a successful football team. Michigan doesn’t win that Natty without their DL. Texas and UW don’t make the playoff without their WRs. That’s where the difference makers are found.

Not sure there’s a truly right answer, just some good discussion.
I think that's fair and we can even use Mario's Oregon teams as an example. They had great OL and for a year or 2 arguably the best in the country but deficiencies at a few other positions gave them a hard ceiling. You need everything to win a natty and most are in agreement it starts in the trenches. Thinking back to all our NCs and I don't remember one position group that where it was like yea we won the whole thing even though this group was meh.

Advertisement
Back