Coaching Jahmile Addae gone

MariNo would likely throw for that many yards in 1 season now. Same with Elway and many of the others
Idk why everyone just assumes older QBs would be better than today's NFL QBs. I do think Marino would still be a franchise QB but this idea that he would throw for 6000 yards 50TDs a season that floats around the NFL boards just isn't realistic. I can see 4000-5000 yards 30-40TDs and 15-20INTs a season. Marino first 4 seasons he averaged 40TDs 19ints 4800 yards per every 16 games. The last 13 years he averaged 24TDs 17INTs 3,950 yards per 16 game season.

Advertisement
Idk why everyone just assumes older QBs would be better than today's NFL QBs. I do think Marino would still be a franchise QB but this idea that he would throw for 6000 yards 50TDs a season that floats around the NFL boards just isn't realistic. I can see 4000-5000 yards 30-40TDs and 15-20INTs a season. Marino first 4 seasons he averaged 40TDs 19ints 4800 yards per every 16 games. The last 13 years he averaged 24TDs 17INTs 3,950 yards per 16 game season.
So basically you’re saying he would average about the same stats today that he did back then?? In a league today where the rules clearly favor offense and the passing game in particular?? Never mind that Marino nor the receivers he was throwing to would have to worry about getting their heads knocked off.

In any event, I was referring to his college numbers which was what the post I was replying to was referencing due to Kelly’s “pedestrian” college stats when drafted. Penix threw for over 4900 yards while Beck threw for almost 4000. Do you think Kelly, Marino, Elway and others would have those same paltry numbers they had in today’s game?

That senior season killed Marino draft stock. He had 17TDs 22INTs and supposedly was a coke head. It all worked out in the end for him though.

I had a buddy who played at a school in Virginia during early 1980s and he mentioned the alleged drug use back then (via teammates from Pa). Then again, it was the early eighties so drug use was everywhere, including roids, which Pitt had a reputation with regards to usage. Also, Pitt had a lot of big-time NFL talent, including OL and DL but not so much at offensive skill position.

I had a buddy who played at a school in Virginia during early 1980s and he mentioned the alleged drug use back then (via teammates from Pa). Then again, it was the early eighties so drug use was everywhere, including roids, which Pitt had a reputation with regards to usage. Also, Pitt had a lot of big-time NFL talent, including OL and DL but not so much at offensive skill position.
Hugh Green was one of the greatest defensive players in the history of college football. 4X All-American, I believe. If I recall correctly in his first game at Pitt as a true freshman, he had two sacks and blocked a punt.

Was undersized at 6-2 220 pounds. Drafted by Tampa Bay sixth overall, he switched to outside linebacker and was an All Pro for several years. Unfortunately, he was in a car accident during the middle of the of the 1985 season and missed the second half of the season with injuries. Still, the Bucs were able to get first and second round pick from the Dolphins for Green. He played well for them too, but also had more injuries. Never developed into the Hall of Fame player he should have and could have been.

Green was an instant success at Pitt, piling up 12 sacks and two blocked kicks as a freshman. He would end his college career with 53 sacks, 52 tackles for loss, 24 forced fumbles and four interceptions. He would win the Walter Camp Award, Lombardi Award and Maxwell Award as well as earn both the Sporting News and UPI Player of the Year honors. In 1980, he would finish second in the Heisman voting.

Last edited:
Hugh Green was one of the greatest defensive players in the history of college football. 4X All-American, I believe. If I recall correctly in his first game at Pitt as a true freshman, he had two sacks and blocked a punt.

Was undersized at 6-2 220 pounds. Drafted by Tampa Bay sixth overall, he switched to outside linebacker and was an All Pro for several years. Unfortunately, he was in a car accident during the middle of the of the 1985 season and missed the second half of the season with injuries. Still, the Bucs were able to get first and second round pick from the Dolphins for Green. He played well for them too, but also had more injuries. Never developed into the Hall of Fame player he should have and could have been.

Green was an instant success at Pitt, piling up 12 sacks and two blocked kicks as a freshman. He would end his college career with 53 sacks, 52 tackles for loss, 24 forced fumbles and four interceptions. He would win the Walter Camp Award, Lombardi Award and Maxwell Award as well as earn both the Sporting News and UPI Player of the Year honors. In 1980, he would finish second in the Heisman voting.

I think Green's first game in college was against ND where he starred from the get_go.
The late 1970s through 1980 had some stud players. Four players inducted into NFL HOF including Marino, Jimbo Covert, Russ Grimm and Ricky Jackson. Additionally, Green, Bill Maas, Randy McMillan, Carlton Williamson, Greg Meissner, Jerry Boyarsky, Bill Neill and Tim Lewis who all played a few years in the NFL. But all that talent but not much at WR.

Advertisement
Geez 80s players had no knowledge of how to actually take care of their bodies. Today’s athletes have a ^1,000,000nth more information about about agency’s of drugs, alcohol, concussions, training, and nutrition.

80s players were smoking cigarettes, drinking heavily (most are alcoholics or in recovery), maybe a dab of coke but all players roiding or not were lifting for bulk and throwing there bodies on the line every play if they cared a little.

Geez 80s players had no knowledge of how to actually take care of their bodies. Today’s athletes have a ^1,000,000nth more information about about agency’s of drugs, alcohol, concussions, training, and nutrition.

80s players were smoking cigarettes, drinking heavily (most are alcoholics or in recovery), maybe a dab of coke but all players roiding or not were lifting for bulk and throwing there bodies on the line every play if they cared a little.

With some exceptions, S&C was really in it's infancy at most programs. You're talking about an era where a few years prior to the 80s most of the players in the NFL had full-time jobs in the offseason. At the college level the players who were really serious about S&C often worked put in neighborhood gyms and even at those places it was mostly lifting but very little training on functional stuff and barely nothing regarding nutrition.. Different era.

I think Green's first game in college was against ND where he starred from the get_go.
The late 1970s through 1980 had some stud players. Four players inducted into NFL HOF including Marino, Jimbo Covert, Russ Grimm and Ricky Jackson. Additionally, Green, Bill Maas, Randy McMillan, Carlton Williamson, Greg Meissner, Jerry Boyarsky, Bill Neill and Tim Lewis who all played a few years in the NFL. But all that talent but not much at WR.
Jimmy Johnson was Asst HC and DC at Pittsburgh, 1977-1978. Green’s FR and SO seasons.

Advertisement
So basically you’re saying he would average about the same stats today that he did back then?? In a league today where the rules clearly favor offense and the passing game in particular?? Never mind that Marino nor the receivers he was throwing to would have to worry about getting their heads knocked off.

In any event, I was referring to his college numbers which was what the post I was replying to was referencing due to Kelly’s “pedestrian” college stats when drafted. Penix threw for over 4900 yards while Beck threw for almost 4000. Do you think Kelly, Marino, Elway and others would have those same paltry numbers they had in today’s game?
He didn't average 30-40TDs consistently. After his rookie contract he never threw over 30TDs in a season again. He averaged 24TDs 17INTs the rest of his career.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he was doing it. Everyone was doing Coke in the 80s, it was like weed today.

Advertisement
He didn't average 30-40TDs consistently. After his rookie contract he never threw over 30TDs in a season again. He averaged 24TDs 17INTs the rest of his career.
Out of all the stats that you posted of what you would think he would do now in today’s offense that’s the only one that’s slightly off. If you think he wouldn’t throw more than 30 TDs a season under today’s offensive style and rules then will just agree to disagree.

For what it’s worth. I did the research.

John Elway 3 year Starter Stanford- 774/1246 62.1% 9349yards 77 tds 39 Ints

Todd Blackledge 3 year Starter PSU
341/658 51.8% 4812 41 tds 41 ints

Jim Kelly 1 year full season 1 almost completed at UM 376/676 55.6%
5228 yards 33tds 28Ints

Tony Eason 2 year starter Illinois
526/856 61.4%
6608 37tds 29ints

Ken O Brien Starter for Div 2 UC Davis. Couldn't find any concrete stats.

He started his college career at Sacramento State, but transferred to UC Davis and played for legendary coach, Jim Socher. Ken flourished at UC Davis leading the Aggies to a perfect 10 -0 regular season record in 1982. He led them to the Division 2 National Championship game. During his senior season he was ranked number 2 in the nation in total offense and number 3 in passing efficiency. During his college career he was selected as All-Far Western Conference quarterback three times.

Dan Marino 4 yr? Starter Pitt
626/1084 57.7% 7905yds 74 tds 64ints
Wow. The number of interceptions those guys threw is just staggering. The game has changed so much.

The game was so different in the 80’s. Quarterbacks were not protected like they are today. Receivers would get held and grabbed pretty much every play. What’s considered good pass protection today was holding back then. John Elway was such a freak prospect. His number in the 80’s were astronomical. Most college teams rarely passed the ball. The wishbone, and triple option were very much the offenses of the day. Miami was considered a finesse offense because they actually threw the ball like a professional team. Throwing the ball was considered “high risk” because defenders could mug receivers and interceptions were a lot more common. Not to mention a lot of the short passing game that everyone uses today wasn’t even a thing back then.

Advertisement
Out of all the stats that you posted of what you would think he would do now in today’s offense that’s the only one that’s slightly off. If you think he wouldn’t throw more than 30 TDs a season under today’s offensive style and rules then will just agree to disagree.
I think he would have 30-40TDs 4000-5000 yards. Some people think he would have 6000 yards 50TDs+ which is crazy talk to me. A typical season for him would be like 35TDs 16INTs 4800 yards.

Another W for @Cribby
I appreciate the shout out. I guess us frauds get lucky here and there. The fraud pulled another one out of his *** on Jan 17 when I said “ if I’m betting the next db coach would have a connection to Guidry”. Chevis was the name I heard as the favorite from the rip.

That said this is a sneaky good hire. A coffee table would be a huge upgrade in recruiting circles over Addae.

Not all **** hires are good hires and not all uninspiring hires are bad. I expect a noticeable jump in cb recruiting with CJ.

The game was so different in the 80’s. Quarterbacks were not protected like they are today. Receivers would get held and grabbed pretty much every play. What’s considered good pass protection today was holding back then. John Elway was such a freak prospect. His number in the 80’s were astronomical. Most college teams rarely passed the ball. The wishbone, and triple option were very much the offenses of the day. Miami was considered a finesse offense because they actually threw the ball like a professional team. Throwing the ball was considered “high risk” because defenders could mug receivers and interceptions were a lot more common. Not to mention a lot of the short passing game that everyone uses today wasn’t even a thing back then.

Good post... especially about the lack of emphasis on passing game.
One could count on 1-2 hands how many programs besides UM used their backs, TEs and WRs in the passing game and, you're right, Elway was a freak. He also some pretty good coaches who later worked in the NFL, including Rod Dowhower and others.
Here are some pretty impressive highlights:

Advertisement
Back