2024 Head to Head with the Big Boys: UGA Edition

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
UGA has kicked Bama to the curb as the undisputed king of recruiting. Their combo of over the table NIL and under the table $EC bags is lethal. Will Mario be able to Get Smart?

carol burnett maxwell smart GIF

2025 Cycle

HS Grade
: TBD
Portal Grade: TBD

RecruitCollegeComments
Elyiss WilliamsUGAD$ says we're trying to flip
Justus “Jay” TerryUSC UGAD$ says we're trying to flip (flipped to USC)
Zayden WalkerUGAOdds favor UGA but he's a priority target
Jaelyne MatthewsBoth in Final 6
Elijah GriffinBoth in Final 12
Eric WintersGabby says likely a UGA/Miami battle here.
On3 article says UGA, Miami and Auburn.

2024 Cycle

HS Grade
: B
Portal Grade: TBD

RecruitCollegeComments
Chauncey BowensUGAWas on campus numerous times before flipping to UGA
Daniel CalhounUGADidn't make his top 5, was able to get an UV. UGA lean the entire time.
Nyier DanielsUGANever followed through on his OV
Marcus HarrisonUGAStaff liked him, but he never visited
Colton HeinrichUGAVisited several times, unclear where he was on the TE board
Ellis Robinson IVUGAOur #1 CB target
Demello JonesUGAHad an UV
Jaylen HeywardUCF UGAWas on flip watch but something happened. Ended up at UCF
Jordan ThomasUGAHad an UV, unclear where he was on the board
Ny CarrMiami UGAHuge flip in a position of need.
Justin ScottMiamiVisited UGA
Armondo BlountMiami
Chris ColeUGARohan's nephew was set to become a Cane until UGA had a spot.

2023 Cycle

HS Grade
: B
Portal Grade: N/A

RecruitCollegeComments
Monroe FreelingUGAShifted to UGA after Samson and Francis trended Miami. There initially was the thought that Mario/Mirabal were going to pull the trifecta of tackles.
Joenel AgueroUGATough, tough loss. UGA dropped some serious bags late for this one.
Samuel M'PembaUGAInitially we were in a good spot, but this one got away
Raymond CottrellTAMUEmory's main WR target, long rumored to be a flip target. Did eventually flip to TAMU. Not a favorite on this board.
Cormani McClainCOMiami stunned everyone by getting McClain's commitment. Cormani ultimately flaked out and flipped to Deion.
Jayden WayneMiamiVisited UGA, Mario's long term recruitment won out here
Tyler WilliamsUGAThe Lakeland curse continues, we had a real shot here as he had a couple of surprise visits. This time it was a combo of our putrid offense and that traitor McClendon undermining and negative recruiting.
Raul "Popo" AguirreMiamiGrew up down here, even though he lives in GA, local ties made the difference here.
Antione "Action" JacksonMiamiCommitted to UGA, flipped to Miami, signed an NLI and then flaked out. Ended up transferring to East Carolina.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We must have had victories against UGA last cycle, but my memory is fuzzy. Please remind me. Thanks.

Advertisement
Them boys just on a different level even before the natties let's not forget. I know the "they won that's why they get everyone" crowd is seething to say those words. But Kirby got the gift as soon as he signed you could see it, the easiest prediction in cfb was UGA would win a natty with Kirby. Just based off recruiting.

Advertisement
Wasn't Popo a UGA target, too?

Of Linden's 2024 list above, the only ones I know our staff really pushed hard for are Robinson and Heyward, no? The rest feel like unqualified leads, not lower-funnel opportunities.

Them boys just on a different level even before the natties let's not forget. I know the "they won that's why they get everyone" crowd is seething to say those words. But Kirby got the gift as soon as he signed you could see it, the easiest prediction in cfb was UGA would win a natty with Kirby. Just based off recruiting.

It was so obvious. Kirby replaced Richt and his recruiting budget authority was virtually limitless (pre-NIL, totally illegal bags, by the way). Jimbo had the same deal at A2M but didn't pull off the desired outcome. So you could say Smart at least used the money wisely, it's not a 1:1 correlation that you can buy a Natty.

Debacle?

His mom chased coin and Cormani had grown *** "men" kneeling before him for a commitment.
Let’s see how he feels going 3-9 getting burnt like toast by grown men (no shame in it but kid is going to be asked to guard WR1’s as a child) in the frozen tundra.

Advertisement
It was so obvious. Kirby replaced Richt and his recruiting budget authority was virtually limitless (pre-NIL, totally illegal bags, by the way). Jimbo had the same deal at A2M but didn't pull off the desired outcome. So you could say Smart at least used the money wisely, it's not a 1:1 correlation that you can buy a Natty.
It means Kirby is great at evaluating from HS. Him and Saban a cut above while Jimbo fell off a cliff. Makes you think he hit lightning at fsu for a few classes. I'm hoping Mario is as good a evaluator as a whole as those two. Seems like they eval great at every position not just their primary position. Saban is a DB guy but evaluates every **** position good. Him and KS find guys that were slept on then the sites find them and boost them rightfully so a lot of the time. Last cycle they had an edge guy sky rocket and when I saw the film I agreed. It put that myth to bed that guys get boosted because of what school they choose. Nah show me the film and give me that schools history with that staff and I'll tell you if it's a fan base bump or not.

Advertisement
Wasn't Popo a UGA target, too?
You're right. I just search through the CIS history and UGA was bitter about that loss and folk speculated that's why they threw the bags Joenel Aguero. Didn't want to lose multiple battles to key recruits to Mario.

Last edited:
How did we forget about the whole Antione "Action" Jackson saga? Was a UGA commit which was Mario's first flip (if I remember right). Things went south after he signed the NLI, but it was a massive recruiting coup at the time.

Advertisement
Back