Coaching Guidry's defensive philosophy

Yes they are.

FobBbqfXsAE-EAU

Advertisement
I think manny’s failure as HC (and the last year as a HC where he ran the D) has clouded people’s memory of how good our defense was when manny was the coordinator

It wasn’t pure chaos and it was very disciplined and elaborate, we did very well in explosive plays allowed as well as pretty much every other important metric

I’ll be thrilled if we can have that same level of performance under guidry and pair him with a competent OC
four different schools since 2014. never had a defense rank below 34th in PPG when he’s solely a DC. Penn State ranked 9th this year. when he’s only a coordinator he’s great.

Marshall's Total Defense Rank last 6 years:

2022 - 8th
2021 - 81st

2020 - 2nd
2019 - 56th
2018 - 25th
2017 - 28th

I know nothing about Guidry, and he may be a great hire, and there may very well be a good reason why the Marshall defense wasn't good in 2021

But I find it funny when everyone is pointing out the 2022 stats, and conveniently no one is mentioning 2021

2022 - 8th
2021 - 81st

2020 - 2nd
2019 - 56th
2018 - 25th
2017 - 28th

I know nothing about Guidry, and he may be a great hire, and there may very well be a good reason why the Marshall defense wasn't good in 2021

But I find it funny when everyone is pointing out the 2022 stats, and conveniently no one is mentioning 2021
I can tell you this much...
Majority of fans don't understand that new scheme implementation takes time.

They expect vast improvement in year one of a new coordinator and it generally doesn't happen like that.

If anybody is expecting Guidry to have us playing like an elite defense in his first season then they will be severely disappointed.

We'll be better than last season by default of better talent and Steele (& co) doing the initial ground work.

Advertisement
I think we improve in 2023 by default. Doubt we have 5 games giving up 40 again.

Don't think the defense is an elite unit until 2024 at the earliest but likely 2025. It's not far off of Steele's defense but I'm not sure we have the overall length and strength you need to stand up your ends 70% of the time and get results. Until Kelly, Moss, Wayne, Acheampong are full grown and physically ready - Guidry isn't gonna be able to do what he wants to do.

Still too many tweeners and mediocre guys like Harvey and not enough size on the interior. Taylor needs to get in the 290s - he's struggling to get above 275 pounds. I think there's 1 guy above 290 on the entire defense and he's played less than 50 snaps. Mesidor is great but stand up is not his game. His game is hand in the ground, get off the ball with leverage, and get his hands on you.. yet he's not big enough to be one of the 2 down lineman.

four different schools since 2014. never had a defense rank below 34th in PPG when he’s solely a DC. Penn State ranked 9th this year. when he’s only a coordinator he’s great.

Great?

Manny has always had early success, followed by terrible performances, as a DC. Let's wait more than one year to crown him.

His philosophy, to create havoc, usually leaves his safetys and LBs in bad positions, as we saw here. After some time seeing his defenses, teams usually adjust, ala UNC, and Manny usually doesn't.

I'm going to give big ten OCs one more season

I think we improve in 2023 by default. Doubt we have 5 games giving up 40 again.

Don't think the defense is an elite unit until 2024 at the earliest but likely 2025. It's not far off of Steele's defense but I'm not sure we have the overall length and strength you need to stand up your ends 70% of the time and get results. Until Kelly, Moss, Wayne, Acheampong are full grown and physically ready - Guidry isn't gonna be able to do what he wants to do.

Still too many tweeners and mediocre guys like Harvey and not enough size on the interior. Taylor needs to get in the 290s - he's struggling to get above 275 pounds. I think there's 1 guy above 290 on the entire defense and he's played less than 50 snaps. Mesidor is great but stand up is not his game. His game is hand in the ground, get off the ball with leverage, and get his hands on you.. yet he's not big enough to be one of the 2 down lineman.
Welcome back. Hope all is well

Advertisement
Great?

Manny has always had early success, followed by terrible performances, as a DC. Let's wait more than one year to crown him.

His philosophy, to create havoc, usually leaves his safetys and LBs in bad positions, as we saw here. After some time seeing his defenses, teams usually adjust, ala UNC, and Manny usually doesn't.

I'm going to give big ten OCs one more season
this. he starts off great and then falls apart. any good offense coaches with a good qb picks him apart. He also hates to recruit.

They expect vast improvement in year one of a new coordinator and it generally doesn't happen like that.

If anybody is expecting Guidry to have us playing like an elite defense in his first season then they will be severely disappointed.

We'll be better than last season by default of better talent and Steele (& co) doing the initial ground work.
Schiano improved our defense in a hurry after Bill Miller. Literally Schiano’s first season at UM in 1999 was a vast improvement over 1998. And the scheme was completely different. It can happen quick if there is a great teacher and scheme.

24.8 pts per game in 1998, to 16.9 in 1999. Almost 7 pts less per game in 1 season from Miller to Schiano. You can argue whether 16.9 was elite but the difference from 1998 to 1999 is hard to overstate. It can be done.

there's truth here.

although, given that college football is starting to look like the NFL, with teams materially turning over from year to year due to "free agency," .... I don't know whether that hurts or helps implementation. One would think it hurts, but as the eco-system gets used to the new reality, maybe not.

of course, talent and experience make any system better, whether it's a new system or not.

what helps is if the new system naturally fits what the players can do best. that also makes everything look good.

Advertisement

Agreed!

Also, the way the schedule plays out this year, I expect a lot of success early on and then middle to late, to struggle some. It’s backloaded heavy with good offenses in consecutive weeks, minus Virginia and BC:

1675878155589.png

Advertisement
Agreed!

Also, the way the schedule plays out this year, I expect a lot of success early on and then middle to late, to struggle some. It’s backloaded heavy with good offenses in consecutive weeks, minus Virginia and BC:

View attachment 228988
I actually don’t mind the backloading too much. Especially if we beat A&M…could give the kids some confidence working into that UNC game.

Having NC St and FSU b2b blows though. A physical defense followed by a rivalry game, both on the road.

Why would u not want our DTs playing sound gap football lol, did we forget already what that can lead to?
The thought of that takes me back to the GT game under Bill Young… for the amount of teams that have ran it up our backside I have PTSD from that game. No gap integrity and it seemed like our LBs were 10 yards off the ball. Think we gave up 700 on the ground that day. 😣

2022 - 8th
2021 - 81st

2020 - 2nd
2019 - 56th
2018 - 25th
2017 - 28th

2021 was solid.

Yards per play - 26th. (Second in Conf USA)

Total yards is high but they defended the 6th most plays in FBS.

Kinda reminds me of the points stat in basketball. 30 points eh? Well, how many shots?

That's like just posting a QB's completions without the attempts

2022 - 8th
2021 - 81st

2020 - 2nd
2019 - 56th
2018 - 25th
2017 - 28th

In 2021, Marshall's offense turned the ball over 25 times, good for 126th in the country, and making their turnover margin 107th in the country (-.54 per game). They were also ranked 125th in TOP. But if you rank it by opponent YPP, the defense was 20th, and 45th in PPG. I don't watch too much Marshall football, but it looks like the offense did the defense absolutely zero favors in 2021.

Advertisement
Back