Coaching Guidry's defensive philosophy

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
The main Guidry thread is growing too fast and covering too much to break down his defensive style and techniques.

Some interesting highlights from this article

Perhaps most jarring to the traditionalist, the Herd play with only two down linemen 69% of the time

and for those wondering about the soundness of his scheme

Praising the scheme does not tell the whole story. Marshall has both fundamentally sound and talented players. The Herd’s rate of broken or missed tackles ranks 2nd in the FBS (5.6%), and when only rushing four or fewer they rank 9th in sack percentage (14.8%).

@DMoney & @Lance Roffers break down Guidry's defense in an Emergency Podcast. Three key highlights:

1. 9/9.5 on a scale of 10 of aggression.
2. What are the similarities with Manny's D: both focus on causing havoc for the offense.
3. What's the main difference with Manny's D: Guidry's D has guardrails in place to prevent explosive plays.

Discussion here

Last edited:
Advertisement
The main Guidry thread is growing too fast and covering too much to break down his defensive style and techniques.

Perhaps most jarring to the traditionalist, the Herd play with only two down linemen 69% of the time

Praising the scheme does not tell the whole story. Marshall has both fundamentally sound and talented players. The Herd’s rate of broken or missed tackles ranks 2nd in the FBS (5.6%), and when only rushing four or fewer they rank 9th in sack percentage (14.8%).

He stands his ends up a lot and moves them around like chess pieces.

I expect James Williams to bring the heat plenty (among others obviously, but James is best used when attacking downhill).

Expect constant blitzing. We’re going to devour opposing QBs and it’ll make life easier on our secondary/ball hawks like Kam.

I’d worry about that 69% with old evaluators here bringing in 205 pound LBs but Mario bringing in 230 pound LBs this can work and work well

Advertisement

I expect James Williams to bring the heat plenty (among others obviously, but James is best used when attacking downhill).

Expect constant blitzing. We’re going to devour opposing QBs and it’ll make life easier on our secondary/ball hawks like Kam.
Kelly and Moss standing up and coming off the edges.

19BBEB22-C22D-44E0-93E2-0F55589B2ACC.jpeg

Advertisement
Just give me sound, modest improvement in all facets (tackling, less coverage busts/dumb plays) and put our guys in position to succeed and play fast. I don’t expect the 01 Ravens next year and it’s impossible for us to not improve but I expect us to improve as the year goes on and play confident and fast. Is that too much to ask? We aren’t consistently facing offensive juggernauts in this conference…just give us something to build on and some continuity.

Now, you're talking! Some may point at Manny's D's and say that was a problem with those, however, this guy seems to coach up his players on fundamentals and I think you can have an elite D that blitz's a lot as long as the back 7 tackle well to erase most big plays.

It certainly will make our D fun to watch again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I love my coordinators to coach QB on Offence and DB's on Defence. IMO In this era of football your safeties are the brain of the defence.

You need to be disruptive in the trenches, in the right spots and tackle at the linebacker level, and make plays in the secondary. This guys unit did all three.

Advertisement
One important stat for all of us suffering post MTSU PTSD was I saw his D’s explosive plays allowed rate was exceptionally low. I’ll have to see if I can find the link and edit the post if I do.

As I said in the other thread, Marshall was #1 in the country in Defensive EPA by game and by play this season. In the entire country.

Additionally, there is an advanced metric called F+, which essentially combines Connelly's SP+ with the FEI rankings. That F+ ranking had the Marshall defense at #10 in the country.

Marshall also went 9-4 last year with one of the worst offenses in the entire country. Their F+ rating on offense was 110th. Admittedly, the schedule was not great. But they did play a few games against some solid teams. Here is how they fared:

Notre Dame (9-4) -- Won, defense gave up 21 points
Troy (12-2) -- Lost, defense gave up 16 points
Coastal Carolina (9-4) -- Won, defense gave up 24 points
James Madison (8-3) -- Won, defense gave up 12 points

They did lose to a bad Bowling Green team, but it was in overtime, they only gave up 28 points in regulation and they won the yardage battle 547 to 377. Marshall had 3 turnovers, BGSU had zero.

The 4 losses were to the aforementioned BGSU, Troy, and Coastal....and they also lost to Louisiana, in a game where the defense gave up 23 points.

Only gave up more than 24 poins one time in 13 games, and it was the OT game to Bowling Green.

#8 in scoring defense
#15 in total defense per game
#10 in total defense per play
#4 in completion percentage allowed
#15 in passing yards per attempt
#9 in passer rating allowed
#12 in rushing yards per game allowed
#6 in yards per carry allowed (sacks are counted as rushing plays in college)
#13 in sacks per game
#1 in the country in 3rd down defense...and not only that, their conversion % allowed in 2022 was the best of any team since Michigan in 2016
#28 in Red Zone TD% allowed
Only allowed 29 redzone trips in 11 games vs FBS teams (Miami allowed 45 in the same number of games, by the way)

By essentially every single number and metric, the 2022 Marshall defense was sensational. Can he come here and do the same?

Advertisement
Back