Official From the Aggie Perspective: TAMU Run Defense vs Miami Rushing offense

The Canes will run for at least 260 yds on the A&M's defense. The first half might not suggest that but as the game progresses the run game will become more aggressive. The Law Firm of Parrish & Knighton will hit them with quickness, and then comes the bruiser, "Thad da Thumpa".

Feel free to call me out after the game but be sure to give me flowers when we win.

Enjoy the game y'all, Go CANES!

260?! Lmao. If we run for 260 yards we’re gonna win by 30.

Honestly I’ll take 100 and I think we can win with that and TVD.

Last year we had 87 vs Bama and 52 vs Michigan State.

2020 we had 89 vs Clemson.

2019 we had 87 vs the gator

2018 we had 83 vs LSU

2017 we had 104 vs Clemson.

See a pattern? We can’t move a soul when we play anybody out of conference in the P5 or Clemson, no matter who the coaches or players are. I expect Mirabal and Mario will get that corrected, but in Game 3 to say 260 yards against an SEC opponent should require a breathalyzer being installed in your car.

If it happens, I’ll be the first one to tell you that you’re a messiah. But **** if we get half that, we have a great shot to win.

Advertisement
I guess I’m just unsure of the standards we’re using. Bethune Cookman’s QBs ran for a combined 45 yards on 10 attempts and all we heard from our fanbase was about how they were running all over us and our LBs needed to be benched because they were too slow. With that same scale, 60 yards and similar ypc averages from the Sam Houston St QB should be cause for concern for A&M, no?
But tvd isn’t a scrambler

Texas A&M's run defense held up relatively well from a statistical standpoint last weekend against Appalachian State as they gave up just 3.5 yards per rush and that included a 48 yard run late when the Aggies' defense was worn out. However, they didn't make many plays on the Mountaineers' side of the line of scrimmage and allowed them to convert too many third and short or medium opportunities to extend drives. The second effort on the part of the Mountaineers' backs allowed them to generate too many yards after contact (3.14 yards per carry per pro Football Focus).

A&M is playing a front where they really squeeze down to protect the backers and so it's up to the front four to hold ground and make stops at the line of scrimmage. When they don't hold their ground, guys like Edgerrin Cooper have to sort through too much trash (his average depth of tackle per PFF was 8.8 yards last week).

Too often, the Aggies' defensive front represented inexperience versus an experienced offensive line which was confident and physical. A&M really wants its down four to tie up blockers and guys like nose Albert Regis and end Tunmise Adeleye (nine stops and 1.5 yards average depth of tackle between them) are built for that from a physical standpoint. The remainder of the group...including some highly rated prospects coming out of high school...didn't stay as low and so weren't able to hold ground or blow things up. As Jimbo Fisher indicated in his press conference, they've got to be better technically...and they should improve as they get more reps.

Miami's offensive front is much bigger than that of the Mountaineers (average of around 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds per man) but they're better known for their pass protection. They've got good feet and use more man blocking principles as the Hurricanes went to more of a pro style offense in the off season under new coordinator Josh Gattis. In addition, they use 12 personnel about 50% of the time and want to be a physical group (but don't always get there). Finally, they tend to allow penetration when they don't execute the reach and down blocks that are part of a gap or man system. It's unlikely that the Canes are going to be able to push the Aggies around but A&M's style and personnel means that they're not necessarily going to put Miami behind the sticks either.

Henry Parrish is the primary down to down back for the Canes and he's more quick than fast with good balance. A&M backers and safeties have to be able to shoot gaps at least part of the time to create negative plays and the defensive line has to be able to set that up.

Overall, the Aggies should be able to control Miami's run game and create favorable down and distance situations. That might mean that the Canes will have to use their play action game to move the ball through the air, especially on early downs, and use it to offset a running game that's probably going to have issues versus A&M.
Interesting. This is very similar to what I said in the thread that I started yesterday.

We’re on the same page when it comes to believing that we will have to throw the ball on early downs to move the sticks, and keep them off balance. I don’t see us running for a ton of yards on them if they know it’s coming on 1st and 2nd down.

Advertisement
App State could not run on our defense last year, period. We ran for 175 yards on a zone read scheme with a limited QB. Different year but before we go crazy put it in perspective.

I think we can run for a bucket and a half if we go play action effectively. I think Gattis is set up to really use our H-back and TEs off play action. And get our backs on swings and see if A&M can tackle in space.

I believe we will see some wrinkles A&M has not seen. Probably a lot more counters since A&M looks to overpursue at times.

What was frustrating was TVD missed quite a few reads on Saturday. I got he was throwing across his body and his mechanics were an issue at times but he has to do a better job presnap.

Last edited:
I do not know what's going to happen Sat, but that App state OL was pushing around the DL all day long. Don't know why they did not get 12 yards a carry. The A&M pass rush was okay but the run game...even their star DL got pushed around.

That A&M QB missed so many open WRs, tripped over his own feet and just made so many stupid mistakes. I just can see that repeating itself again.

But, if the OL does half as well as the App St OL in the run game maybe more talented RBs gain more yards.

College games are weird though. A&M could look like the 85 Bears next week for no other reason than they just decide to show up. I have faith in Mario to get the team ready but this could be an ugly close game or someone gets blown out.

One thing for certain, our Kicker is light years ahead of theirs.

Advertisement
I think people saw two games vs really bad teams and said we can run on anyone. hold it real quick. still the same line from last year lol and ATMs DL is talent

I do not know what's going to happen Sat, but that App state OL was pushing around the DL all day long. Don't know why they did not get 12 yards a carry. The A&M pass rush was okay but the run game...even their star DL got pushed around.

That A&M QB missed so many open WRs, tripped over his own feet and just made so many stupid mistakes. I just can see that repeating itself again.

But, if the OL does half as well as the App St OL in the run game maybe more talented RBs gain more yards.

College games are weird though. A&M could look like the 85 Bears next week for no other reason than they just decide to show up. I have faith in Mario to get the team ready but this could be an ugly close game or someone gets blown out.

One thing for certain, our Kicker is light years ahead of theirs.
ATM lost their 3 top defensive linemen from last year and a linebacker to graduation. They have recruited DL better than anyone but those guys are inexperienced and will be going up against grown men size-wise at OL. Even if the weights aren't a huge difference body composition/strength is always different comparing a 320lb college sr to a 320 lb college freshman.

In the trenches on defense they have a RS FR, JR, SO, SO... Then on offense they start RS FR, RS SO, RS SO, RS JR, SO. On both lines we have a massive experience advantage (multiple RS JR and SR) along with some of the best coaching in that area in the country. We should be able to move these guys and open up holes on offense and get in the backfield on defense.

I just can’t see Gattis not opening up the playbook or TVD having back to back sub par games.

Steele knows Jimblo’s offense well so I expect him to dial up some schemes to counter it.

Regardless of the coach speak and player speak, there’s not a person on Greentree that doesn’t understand the magnitude of this game for the program. Undoubtedly, they’ll all be dialed in and go all out for a win.

From the primary Aggie 247 Reporter:

Texas A&M's run defense held up relatively well from a statistical standpoint last weekend against Appalachian State as they gave up just 3.5 yards per rush and that included a 48 yard run late when the Aggies' defense was worn out. However, they didn't make many plays on the Mountaineers' side of the line of scrimmage and allowed them to convert too many third and short or medium opportunities to extend drives. The second effort on the part of the Mountaineers' backs allowed them to generate too many yards after contact (3.14 yards per carry per pro Football Focus).

3.14 of the 3.5 yards per carry by App State were second effort yards after contact? I hope Franklin gets more carrier, and Knighton is used sparingly and more on edge, play action and screen plays.

I hope I don't see us just plowing into 8 man fronts the whole first half. That's a recipe for 3 and outs and wearing out our D early.
If Gattis is a man of his word, and truly tailors his offenses to his personnel/puts his players in best position to succeed..

Then we should see a heavy dose of TVD Saturday. It’s important to find ways to be balanced and establish a run game (or at least keep them on their toes), but if we see him run into a 7-8 man front all night with little to no success, then I think we know where we stand. Would be a major red flag; whether it’s more of a reflection on Gattis or Mario’s philosophy would be the big question IMO

Last edited:
Advertisement
This will be a harsh dose of reality for our run game. This is a whole different monster than Bethune & Southern Miss. I don't expect this to be pretty.

I'm hoping TVD & the WR's can pull this off.

260?! Lmao. If we run for 260 yards we’re gonna win by 30.

Honestly I’ll take 100 and I think we can win with that and TVD.

Last year we had 87 vs Bama and 52 vs Michigan State.

2020 we had 89 vs Clemson.

2019 we had 87 vs the gator

2018 we had 83 vs LSU

2017 we had 104 vs Clemson.

See a pattern? We can’t move a soul when we play anybody out of conference in the P5 or Clemson, no matter who the coaches or players are. I expect Mirabal and Mario will get that corrected, but in Game 3 to say 260 yards against an SEC opponent should require a breathalyzer being installed in your car.

If it happens, I’ll be the first one to tell you that you’re a messiah. But **** if we get half that, we have a great shot to win.

The bad news - Texas A&M has only given up 250 yds rushing in 2 games since 2018 under Jimbo

The good news - Both 250 yd games were vs Ole Miss. So maybe Kevin Smith/Henry Parrish know some secret here? Doubtful, but....maybe?

I'm going to put my faith in the staff and assume they're going to run Gattis' game plan, not App St's.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Advertisement
3.14 of the 3.5 yards per carry by App State were second effort yards after contact? I hope Franklin gets more carrier, and Knighton is used sparingly and more on edge, play action and screen plays.
App St's Top 2 RB's are 220+ lbs. Their 190 lb RB had under 1 yd after contact. I think Thad is going to be important in this game.

Knightons usage & rotation was weird in the South Miss game

1st Half Carries
Parrish - 10
Knighton - 6
Thad - 2

2nd Half Carries
Parrish - 13
Thad - 10
Knighton - 0

3 of Knighton's 6 carries were on 3rd & short. And Knighton was subbed in for those carries, it wasn't like he was already in the game. Seems weird it wasn't Thad in short yardage, and I don't know what to make of Knighton not playing at all in the 2nd half.

This game comes down to Miami's D vs their O. Force them to grind out long drives with shorter plays. On O, we should be able to run against them until they stack the box. They likely aren't as interested in having a top QB pick them apart so will play conservatively much like they have the last two weeks. Thus, Miami will have lots of opportunities to run into 6-man boxes with 37 on the field. I actually think a big key will be TVD running the ball as ATM will play Man coverage with 6 to 7 in the box leaving no one to cover him.

The bad news - Texas A&M has only given up 250 yds rushing in 2 games since 2018 under Jimbo

The good news - Both 250 yd games were vs Ole Miss. So maybe Kevin Smith/Henry Parrish know some secret here? Doubtful, but....maybe?
Wish we had Lane Kiffin calling plays

Advertisement
Back