Official From the Aggie Perspective: TAMU Run Defense vs Miami Rushing offense

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
From the primary Aggie 247 Reporter:

Texas A&M's run defense held up relatively well from a statistical standpoint last weekend against Appalachian State as they gave up just 3.5 yards per rush and that included a 48 yard run late when the Aggies' defense was worn out. However, they didn't make many plays on the Mountaineers' side of the line of scrimmage and allowed them to convert too many third and short or medium opportunities to extend drives. The second effort on the part of the Mountaineers' backs allowed them to generate too many yards after contact (3.14 yards per carry per pro Football Focus).

A&M is playing a front where they really squeeze down to protect the backers and so it's up to the front four to hold ground and make stops at the line of scrimmage. When they don't hold their ground, guys like Edgerrin Cooper have to sort through too much trash (his average depth of tackle per PFF was 8.8 yards last week).

Too often, the Aggies' defensive front represented inexperience versus an experienced offensive line which was confident and physical. A&M really wants its down four to tie up blockers and guys like nose Albert Regis and end Tunmise Adeleye (nine stops and 1.5 yards average depth of tackle between them) are built for that from a physical standpoint. The remainder of the group...including some highly rated prospects coming out of high school...didn't stay as low and so weren't able to hold ground or blow things up. As Jimbo Fisher indicated in his press conference, they've got to be better technically...and they should improve as they get more reps.

Miami's offensive front is much bigger than that of the Mountaineers (average of around 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds per man) but they're better known for their pass protection. They've got good feet and use more man blocking principles as the Hurricanes went to more of a pro style offense in the off season under new coordinator Josh Gattis. In addition, they use 12 personnel about 50% of the time and want to be a physical group (but don't always get there). Finally, they tend to allow penetration when they don't execute the reach and down blocks that are part of a gap or man system. It's unlikely that the Canes are going to be able to push the Aggies around but A&M's style and personnel means that they're not necessarily going to put Miami behind the sticks either.

Henry Parrish is the primary down to down back for the Canes and he's more quick than fast with good balance. A&M backers and safeties have to be able to shoot gaps at least part of the time to create negative plays and the defensive line has to be able to set that up.

Overall, the Aggies should be able to control Miami's run game and create favorable down and distance situations. That might mean that the Canes will have to use their play action game to move the ball through the air, especially on early downs, and use it to offset a running game that's probably going to have issues versus A&M.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Canes will run for at least 260 yds on the A&M's defense. The first half might not suggest that but as the game progresses the run game will become more aggressive. The Law Firm of Parrish & Knighton will hit them with quickness, and then comes the bruiser, "Thad da Thumpa".

Feel free to call me out after the game but be sure to give me flowers when we win.

Enjoy the game y'all, Go CANES!

The Canes will run for at least 260 yds on the A&M's defense. The first half might not suggest that but as the game progresses the run game will become more aggressive. The Law Firm of Parrish & Knighton will hit them with quickness, and then comes the bruiser, "Thad da Thumpa".

Feel free to call me out after the game but be sure to give me flowers when we win.

Lol, buddy I’d take 160 and be thrilled.

Not sure why people believe we won’t be able to run on them. This isn’t just an APP thing where they ran for 3.5 ypc and managed to win. Even in week 1 A&M gave up 4 ypc to Sam Houston St. with a majority coming from the QB to the tune of 100+ rushing yards.

I’m not gonna say they aren’t good or they won’t make adjustments, but there’s CLEARLY something we should attack in that ground game.

Texas A&M's run defense held up relatively well from a statistical standpoint last weekend against Appalachian State as they gave up just 3.5 yards per rush and that included a 48 yard run late when the Aggies' defense was worn out. However, they didn't make many plays on the Mountaineers' side of the line of scrimmage and allowed them to convert too many third and short or medium opportunities to extend drives. The second effort on the part of the Mountaineers' backs allowed them to generate too many yards after contact (3.14 yards per carry per pro Football Focus).

A&M is playing a front where they really squeeze down to protect the backers and so it's up to the front four to hold ground and make stops at the line of scrimmage. When they don't hold their ground, guys like Edgerrin Cooper have to sort through too much trash (his average depth of tackle per PFF was 8.8 yards last week).

Too often, the Aggies' defensive front represented inexperience versus an experienced offensive line which was confident and physical. A&M really wants its down four to tie up blockers and guys like nose Albert Regis and end Tunmise Adeleye (nine stops and 1.5 yards average depth of tackle between them) are built for that from a physical standpoint. The remainder of the group...including some highly rated prospects coming out of high school...didn't stay as low and so weren't able to hold ground or blow things up. As Jimbo Fisher indicated in his press conference, they've got to be better technically...and they should improve as they get more reps.

Miami's offensive front is much bigger than that of the Mountaineers (average of around 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds per man) but they're better known for their pass protection. They've got good feet and use more man blocking principles as the Hurricanes went to more of a pro style offense in the off season under new coordinator Josh Gattis. In addition, they use 12 personnel about 50% of the time and want to be a physical group (but don't always get there). Finally, they tend to allow penetration when they don't execute the reach and down blocks that are part of a gap or man system. It's unlikely that the Canes are going to be able to push the Aggies around but A&M's style and personnel means that they're not necessarily going to put Miami behind the sticks either.

Henry Parrish is the primary down to down back for the Canes and he's more quick than fast with good balance. A&M backers and safeties have to be able to shoot gaps at least part of the time to create negative plays and the defensive line has to be able to set that up.

Overall, the Aggies should be able to control Miami's run game and create favorable down and distance situations. That might mean that the Canes will have to use their play action game to move the ball through the air, especially on early downs, and use it to offset a running game that's probably going to have issues versus A&M.
Based on your title, I thought you might be coming out as an Aggie.

It would have escalated quickly from there.

Advertisement
As several have mentioned already, I don't think App State's blueprint of just playing keep-away is going to be replicatable. I expect us to try and run the ball, but we're not getting 250 yards. We might get 150 if our OL plays well. More likely as OP suggested we're gonna have to open up the passing game to loosen up that back 7 and create some running room for later in the game.

I hope I don't see us just plowing into 8 man fronts the whole first half. That's a recipe for 3 and outs and wearing out our D early.

Really want to see how Parrish looks in this one

He’s been a beast. Feels like there’s going to be a lot of traffic to run through and that seems to be where he’s got something over our other backs

Thad has the size, Parrish has the vision. Should be interesting to see who we lean on late in the game if it’s close

Not sure why people believe we won’t be able to run on them. This isn’t just an APP thing where they ran for 3.5 ypc and managed to win. Even in week 1 A&M gave up 4 ypc to Sam Houston St. with a majority coming from the QB to the tune of 100+ rushing yards.

I’m not gonna say they aren’t good or they won’t make adjustments, but there’s CLEARLY something we should attack in that ground game.
I think they defended against the run pretty well against Sam Houston looking at the box stats. Two runs for over 10 yrs but less than 20, but besides that seems like they shut everything down except the QB scrambling.

I'm not saying we won't be able to run versus them just that I don't see the relevance of your comment as it pertains to stopping our run game.

Sam Houston week 1 rushing stats below. They couldn't pass for their lives and they were down immediately, so I imagine they also got some decent runs in when A&M was more preoccupied defending against the throw.
i
Sam Houston Rushing
CARYDSAVGTDLONG
Jordan Yates14604.3017
Jadon Cardell11818.0018
Jaxson Chrest2147.008
Dezmon Jackson791.309
Zach Hrbacek133.003
Noah Smith231.503
TEAM271074.0018

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think they defended against the run pretty well against Sam Houston looking at the box stats. Two runs for over 10 yrs but less than 20, but besides that seems like they shut everything down except the QB scrambling.

I'm not saying we won't be able to run versus them just that I don't see the relevance of your comment as it pertains to stopping our run game.

Sam Houston week 1 rushing stats below. They couldn't pass for their lives and they were down immediately, so I imagine they also got some decent runs in when A&M was more preoccupied defending against the throw.
i
Sam Houston Rushing
CARYDSAVGTDLONG
Jordan Yates14604.3017
Jadon Cardell11818.0018
Jaxson Chrest2147.008
Dezmon Jackson791.309
Zach Hrbacek133.003
Noah Smith231.503
TEAM271074.0018
I guess I’m just unsure of the standards we’re using. Bethune Cookman’s QBs ran for a combined 45 yards on 10 attempts and all we heard from our fanbase was about how they were running all over us and our LBs needed to be benched because they were too slow. With that same scale, 60 yards and similar ypc averages from the Sam Houston St QB should be cause for concern for A&M, no?

I guess I’m just unsure of the standards we’re using. Bethune Cookman’s QBs ran for a combined 45 yards on 10 attempts and all we heard from our fanbase was about how they were running all over us and our LBs needed to be benched because they were too slow. With that same scale, 60 yards and similar ypc averages from the Sam Houston St QB should be cause for concern for A&M, no?
Well last year Bethune Cookman won 2 games (2-9) and App State went 10-4 with a close loss against us and #20 ULL and a win over #14 coastal carolina.

The quality of the programs and the expected outcomes will be different.

If A&M has a mobile quarterback, then we might be concerned about how our defense will keep contain after the BC game, but my point remains that how a team defends against a run game with a dual-streak QB and a run game from a pro-spread offense is pretty different.

I hope we can run down their throats, but not going to say because they let us 100 yards in week 1 with 60% of them coming from the QB that it is evidence that their run D is overrated.

Advertisement
I think parish and Thad will be nice. Those DBs aren’t going to want to tackle 240 all game. Rooster in certain spots
I think we need more explosion. I like Parrish and thad in what they've done but neither seem like dudes who can explode off a hole. thats where rooster comes in (in the pass game and running). hes the most explosive skill player we have right now (proven player)

Missed opportunity to call him "The Closer" after the "Law Firm" comparison.

Advertisement

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
Back