ESPN: Bain #5 pass rusher in college football

ben

Senior
Premium

5. Rueben Bain Jr., Miami

2023 stats: 7.5 sacks, 12.5 tackles for loss, 3 forced fumbles

Here's what Bain had going against him in 2023: He was a true freshman. He was splitting time between edge rusher and interior defender. He was on a team that, for the second straight year, felt directionless. It would have been entirely reasonable then to assume Bain would chalk up the season as a learning experience, work to sand off some rough edges and be ready to take the ACC by storm in 2024. Unfortunately for opposing QBs, he wasn't that patient.

Bain was a force of nature in 2023, racking up 7.5 sacks, 12.5 tackles for loss, 4 quarterback hurries, 3 forced fumbles and 31 pressures -- ninth most in the ACC -- en route to being named the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year. His expected progression in 2024 is one of the reasons Miami believes this season could be a turning point for the Canes. -- David Hale

Advertisement
Advertisement
There’s two Gators in the top 10….

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

I meant former Gators 😂😂😂

5. Rueben Bain Jr., Miami

2023 stats: 7.5 sacks, 12.5 tackles for loss, 3 forced fumbles

Here's what Bain had going against him in 2023: He was a true freshman. He was splitting time between edge rusher and interior defender. He was on a team that, for the second straight year, felt directionless. It would have been entirely reasonable then to assume Bain would chalk up the season as a learning experience, work to sand off some rough edges and be ready to take the ACC by storm in 2024. Unfortunately for opposing QBs, he wasn't that patient.

Bain was a force of nature in 2023, racking up 7.5 sacks, 12.5 tackles for loss, 4 quarterback hurries, 3 forced fumbles and 31 pressures -- ninth most in the ACC -- en route to being named the league's Defensive Rookie of the Year. His expected progression in 2024 is one of the reasons Miami believes this season could be a turning point for the Canes. -- David Hale

Thanks for taking the gratuitos shot in an otherwise positive article; Hale — you fat ******.

Advertisement
LOL. Yeah I caught that too. Mario needs to change the narrative this year about the program. Tired of subtle shots like this that we have to just absorb as a fanbase. Year 3 needs to be different.
he just needs to win. a lot of hype was given to him when he got hired here. it has been two failed years so far. he has to win. if you cant win double digits in a down ACC with this roster in your third year, its gonna be a problem.

Thanks for taking the gratuitos shot in an otherwise positive article; Hale — you fat ******.
not only that, but Bain also had 35 points, just like Jack Sawyer, who's ranked #4..

they should have both been listed T4...

not a big deal overall but just another note of bias..

Advertisement
Pssh

Wait till this kid gets some help

I know people have been questioning some of the edge attention on our roster but last year he was all we had. I still think it’s one of, if not the most impressive freshman seasons I’ve seen given his performance but also what was asked of him. We had NOTHING at edge other than him

Pssh

I know people have been questioning some of the edge attention on our roster but last year he was all we had. I still think it’s one of, if not the most impressive freshman seasons I’ve seen given his performance but also what was asked of him. We had NOTHING at edge other than him
We had so many injuries at DE that we literally switched to a three man front because we couldn’t play two ends at a time.

We had so many injuries at DE that we literally switched to a three man front because we couldn’t play two ends at a time.
And our DTs were inconsistent. I liked Taylor and JHH had a really solid season, but Bain as a true freshman was the anchor of the line. That’s wild. He was the MVP of the Clemson game for sure

Advertisement
Pssh

Yup that was a selling point by Mario during the recruiting process out of Bains mouth. Pause. He said I’m going to get killers besides you. If we have a breakout TF again if it’s Scott or whoever it’s a wrap for the acc. If not Bain will be blocked by 5 OL at the same time every game.

Yup that was a selling point by Mario during the recruiting process out of Bains mouth. Pause. He said I’m going to get killers besides you. If we have a breakout TF again if it’s Scott or whoever it’s a wrap for the acc. If not Bain will be blocked by 5 OL at the same time every game.
Yeah that 2024 DL class is gonna be it. So we put some band aids on the depth chart in the portal at DT and hope we get something from Cook and Clark. JHH stepped up big last year. Mesidors health is HUGE. He’s not a flashy player but I think the way Guidry likes to use his DL he’s a very important player with his experience and versatility

Yeah that 2024 DL class is gonna be it. So we put some band aids on the depth chart in the portal at DT and hope we get something from Cook and Clark. JHH stepped up big last year. Mesidors health is HUGE. He’s not a flashy player but I think the way Guidry likes to use his DL he’s a very important player with his experience and versatility
Yea we need an elite DT to see the true capability of Bain. Mesidor is a huge add on piece that will help. If Scott steps in and does a Bain then we good. If he’s a bust or jag we ****ed in the interior. Bain did that and to me imo LT was ordinary a lot of the time (for being a 5 star)

Yea we need an elite DT to see the true capability of Bain. Mesidor is a huge add on piece that will help. If Scott steps in and does a Bain then we good. If he’s a bust or jag we ****ed in the interior. Bain did that and to me imo LT was ordinary a lot of the time (for being a 5 star)
I’m hoping we’ve got something in Josh Horton as well. Still a young kid but he can be a Darrell Jackson type I think. Then we hope guys like Scott or Blount live up to the hype

Advertisement
Back