Donna's Legacy

Shalala's legacy is going to always and forever be the picture of Nevin handing her the check at the bowling alley.

She was basically ****ing her iron thong with glee in that picture.

Advertisement
The football program is the only reason UM didnt end up another random school like Georgia Southern

She ruined the best football program in the country. Her legacy should start with WOAT and end with DIAF.

You have no idea what you are talking about. She raised a lot of money and the stature of the reputation of the school (she is the president of a university).
She screwed the pooch with her choice and blind allegiance to the Med School dean, who has made major mistakes much more damaging than a few bad coaches. The teaching capacity has been diluted by the shift away from Jackson, as has their clinical research. If you are losing money on the clinical side (or scraping by) and tanking your research, the med school loses prestige and the Med school is the main engine of the U.

I think she has tried to be supportive of the athletic programs and overall has made major improvement in the facilities. The OB was completely out of her hands because the city refused to partner with her. UM could not float that on its own.
No Life sucks and I hope the new president finds a way to build a smaller, closer stadium but that is another issue.

I've lived here since the 60's and she is easily the best president we've had, though the Cedars purchase may be the undoing of the medical school. The prestige and $$ are directly tied to that school, so that is a more legitimate complaint about her legacy as a university president.
This view may get a lot of negs on a football board, but her reputation is very solid in the rest of the world.

Last edited:
She nearly single handedly raised over a billion dollars and upgraded facilities and UM is on of the highest rated universities year in and year out. Ask anyone in academia world and they will tell you.

The truth is she made a spectacular hire with Sergio Gonzalez. I guess what some here have a legitimate gripe about is that we've wanted an equally spectacular hire as either the AD or the Football HC (or both). The idea is that the admin is not using the athletic program to its maximum capacity (as it relates to the entire organization).

She nearly single handedly raised over a billion dollars and upgraded facilities and UM is on of the highest rated universities year in and year out. Ask anyone in academia world and they will tell you.

The truth is she made a spectacular hire with Sergio Gonzalez. I guess what some here have a legitimate gripe about is that we've wanted an equally spectacular hire as either the AD or the Football HC (or both). The idea is that the admin is not using the athletic program to its maximum capacity (as it relates to the entire organization).

UM football is one of the most relevant brands in sports. Pro or college.

The fact the we have been basically geldings on the field for a decade and still have enough interest in "The U part 2" means this admin is really killing the golden goose.

Cam Underwood loves Donna. image.jpg

Advertisement

I agree with that. Although I think Larranaga is the best coaching hire in 20 years.

I agree with that. Although I think Larranaga is the best coaching hire in 20 years.

Which is why I don't care about the age or previous coaching level of Golden's eventual replacement. I pray for a guy who can do less with more. Like we seem to be doing in Basketball.

She will always be remembered for ruining Miami football.

When she arrived, we had Butch Davis at head coach, the orange bowl, and the greatest winning tradition in college football.

She couldn't get a deal done with Butch, laughed as the orange bowl came crumbling down, and has overseen the fall of Miami to a 7-5 team year in/out.

She is more concerned with APR scores and keeping a spotless image than she is with winning.

Her head coaching hires: Larry Coker, followed by Randy Shannon, followed by Al Golden

She has not been able to keep an AD for more than a month at a time.

The only way she could keep an AD working for her is by promoting a glorified accountant Blake "the snake" James, that spineless sack of ****

NO facility imporvements, investment in the program at all relative to other programs

This week, she had the chance to change that. She had a chance to hire a great coach, to leave her lasting legacy as one that turned Miami around.

She spat in our faces.

**** that little troll.

This is all on Donna and our crap BOT.

OK, there's plenty of valid criticisms about DS (the admin has actively tried to distance themselves from the stuff that made Miami special, and was late with facility improvements) but most of this is nonsense.

1. Butch left right before signing day in early 2001. Shalala didn't take over until June 2001. So she had nothing to do with Butch.

2. Yeah we lost 2 AD's but had Paul Dee forever and now we have Blake James. Both of them have been underperforming, so it's fair to criticize her there. Criticizing her for 2 AD's leaving quickly is stupid.

3. There have been a ton of recent facility improvements. They came late, and UM was reactive as usual, but saying that there were "NO" facility improvements is just wrong.

Good point, she had nothing to do with Butch, so no credit for the NC and second NC game goes to her. That leaves only complete **** during her years. Also, Paul Dee and Donna gave us the greatest scandal in ncaa history. Add to that any blame Dee should have shouldered for the Pell scandal. So in addition to not being able to keep ADs, the one she did keep might have been the most horrific one in history, save any at PSU. Ncaa could have easily hit Donna with a show cause. She should have been dismissed in disgrace for Nevin. She has left us debt and a destroyed football program. I think she is ready to move on to President of the USA. Proven tract record as worthy successor of current office holder who had to do it all without any experience.

lol. Jesus christ. This entire post is a joke.

Advertisement
You're arguing just to argue. Shalala didn't have anything to do with Butch like you claimed. Our facilities have been upgraded. We didn't have a stadium before she became president, btw. The City of Miami did. There's plenty of fair criticisms to levy that don't involve falsehoods.

We had a stadium, jackass. Doesn't matter if it was leased from the city, the perception was that it was the Miami Hurricane's stadium. We had our own ring of honor. We were the only team that played there.

What part of WE HAD A STADIUM, AND NOW WE HAVE NO STADIUM is difficult for your brain to wrap around? I mean Christ, it couldn't be any simpler.

Donna stood by chuckling while the Orange Bowl was demolished. So **** that **** in the ear.

And **** you for implying that downgrading to Sun Life but gaining some *** *** training field is an "improvement" in our facility situation. It's not. And you, and Blake James, and Donna, and all your little snarky friends who want to try to sell that bull**** can shove it up your ***.

No the reason we don't have a stadium is because we never had one to begin with. It needed upgrades, badly, and the city refused to do it. It was becoming a safety hazard, and the city decided to let us walk away, and let the marlins move there. If we had owned it, we never would have lost it; we would have raised money for the upgrades. That's what the guy is saying. And If we are looking at facilities as a whole, we improved on a lot of things. Its funny how the guy is clearly not saying she has left a good legacy as far as football is concerned, but you are trying to make it out to be that way.

And who was the champion for UM, standing up for the school's interests? Where was Donna Shalala with her so-called political connections when we needed her to call in a favor?

It's funny how USC was in the exact same boat as us, but they didn't lose their stadium.... they used their clout in the city of Los Angeles to have it saved and even given over to them.

That's because they had effective leadership who pushed for it. What did Donna do? I don't recall her doing a thing. I recall the entire University of Miami standing idly by while Jeff Loria took the entire city of Miami, bent it over, and ****ed it raw to the tune of billions in tax dollars for that joke of a baseball stadium.

Weak leadership on the part of UM allowed that to happen. Donna had the clout and the standing in the community to fight it.... she chose not to. That's a failure on her part.

How is the majority of the fault not on the city? Thats what I don't get. You are taking a situation that obviously didn't end the way anyone wanted it to, and putting all the blame on 1 person, when that obviously is not the case. Do you think she wanted to lose the stadium or something?

Did she lead a campaign to save the Orange Bowl? Did she flex her political muscle? Did she spearhead a fundraiser to raise money for the repairs to the stadium?

The answer to all of the above is "no." She sat idly by as the Orange Bowl was taken from under her nose, and she did nothing. She's no leader.

Your mistake is thinking that her legacy is solely determined by academics. In academic circles, sure, she might be remembered in a somewhat positive light - she did nothing groundbreaking, but academically, the school is just a little bit better off than when she found it, I can give her credit for that.

Her legacy with the general public, with the local community, with supporters of the university.... that's where she falls flat on her face.

You guys think it's an either/or with football and academics. It isn't. Her job was to raise our profile in both. She failed miserably with one endeavor, and succeeded modestly with the other.

The football program is the only reason UM didnt end up another random school like Georgia Southern

She ruined the best football program in the country. Her legacy should start with WOAT and end with DIAF.

You have no idea what you are talking about. She raised a lot of money and the stature of the reputation of the school (she is the president of a university).
She screwed the pooch with her choice and blind allegiance to the Med School dean, who has made major mistakes much more damaging than a few bad coaches. The teaching capacity has been diluted by the shift away from Jackson, as has their clinical research. If you are losing money on the clinical side (or scraping by) and tanking your research, the med school loses prestige and the Med school is the main engine of the U.

I think she has tried to be supportive of the athletic programs and overall has made major improvement in the facilities. The OB was completely out of her hands because the city refused to partner with her. UM could not float that on its own.
No Life sucks and I hope the new president finds a way to build a smaller, closer stadium but that is another issue.

I've lived here since the 60's and she is easily the best president we've had, though the Cedars purchase may be the undoing of the medical school. The prestige and $$ are directly tied to that school, so that is a more legitimate complaint about her legacy as a university president.
This view may get a lot of negs on a football board, but her reputation is very solid in the rest of the world.

You're acting like the views on this football board reflect a minority opinion, when, actually, this is how the general public sees her.

If Johnny from Tampa receives acceptance letters from the University of Florida, and the Univeristy of Miami, which is he going to pick? Football might make the difference in his decision between two otherwise comparable universities.

If students are choosing to attend Florida, or A&M, or other similarly ranked schools because they want the college experience of having a great football team, then that lessens the demand to attend the University of Miami.

You can whine and say it shouldn't be that way, but it is that way.

Advertisement
You're arguing just to argue. Shalala didn't have anything to do with Butch like you claimed. Our facilities have been upgraded. We didn't have a stadium before she became president, btw. The City of Miami did. There's plenty of fair criticisms to levy that don't involve falsehoods.

We had a stadium, jackass. Doesn't matter if it was leased from the city, the perception was that it was the Miami Hurricane's stadium. We had our own ring of honor. We were the only team that played there.

What part of WE HAD A STADIUM, AND NOW WE HAVE NO STADIUM is difficult for your brain to wrap around? I mean Christ, it couldn't be any simpler.

Donna stood by chuckling while the Orange Bowl was demolished. So **** that **** in the ear.

And **** you for implying that downgrading to Sun Life but gaining some *** *** training field is an "improvement" in our facility situation. It's not. And you, and Blake James, and Donna, and all your little snarky friends who want to try to sell that bull**** can shove it up your ***.

No the reason we don't have a stadium is because we never had one to begin with. It needed upgrades, badly, and the city refused to do it. It was becoming a safety hazard, and the city decided to let us walk away, and let the marlins move there. If we had owned it, we never would have lost it; we would have raised money for the upgrades. That's what the guy is saying. And If we are looking at facilities as a whole, we improved on a lot of things. Its funny how the guy is clearly not saying she has left a good legacy as far as football is concerned, but you are trying to make it out to be that way.

And who was the champion for UM, standing up for the school's interests? Where was Donna Shalala with her so-called political connections when we needed her to call in a favor?

It's funny how USC was in the exact same boat as us, but they didn't lose their stadium.... they used their clout in the city of Los Angeles to have it saved and even given over to them.

That's because they had effective leadership who pushed for it. What did Donna do? I don't recall her doing a thing. I recall the entire University of Miami standing idly by while Jeff Loria took the entire city of Miami, bent it over, and ****ed it raw to the tune of billions in tax dollars for that joke of a baseball stadium.

Weak leadership on the part of UM allowed that to happen. Donna had the clout and the standing in the community to fight it.... she chose not to. That's a failure on her part.

How is the majority of the fault not on the city? Thats what I don't get. You are taking a situation that obviously didn't end the way anyone wanted it to, and putting all the blame on 1 person, when that obviously is not the case. Do you think she wanted to lose the stadium or something?

Because THE U had the most to lose by the fall of the OB. That is why it is on her. The city of Miami got the stupid Marlins and the officials got the payoffs. Donna the whale needed to protect THE U and get that frigging stadium. USC, the institution most like us, faced the same situation and ended up with 100 year lease of their historic famous stadium. Donna managed to match their ncaa scandal just fine, why not the stadium deal.

She did it on the shoulders of the fame the football program brought to THE U. Notice they call it U Health, not Miami Health. All her little toys should be paying royalties to the football program. Miami had fine medical school long before Donna. She raised a bunch of money doing the sugar binge of the bubble economy started by her boy Clinton and Greenspan. You conveniently overlook the whole Nevin scandal. Remember he was one of her donors. She brought shame and suffering to THE U during her reign. Oh, this is a football forum. I am sure you geeks have place to go post.

I was awarded my doctorate at 24, so I am very familiar the academia you mention. While I belong in it, I never really care for the narrow little minds and the godlike elitist that populated it. Most never work a real job and earn money. They prefer privileged positions given to them by their own kind where failure and lack of ability is ignored and replaced by entitlement. Donna might have A's for class participation but she has failed all the exams, especially the final. But I bet you don't believe in grades, right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back