X's and O's Did you see what I saw?

Advertisement
Dude I was fighting the fight in 2005-2006 lol. Miami was always all about innovation and staying a step ahead of the game. That’s why we had so much success as a program early on. The Sec, Big 8 , SWC and big 10 were all about the wishbone / option and Miami went to the pro style. All the detractors said college kids couldn’t run that lol, it was too complicated. Same when we went to the 4-3.

The ego around this program has been a cancer , “we’ll just get south Florida kids and out talent people”. Well look at the last fifteen years and see where we’ve landed. It’s been much more than spending, it’s been as much the mentality of the program. We had success doing things one way for years so why change ? Smh.

but we were 'NFL U'!!!

I said it two hundred times over the off season and I'll say it again. Coaching and Scheme matter. I know in a fantasy world we'd have so much talent that guys like Larry Coker and Rob Cudzinski look great but in reality, you need to have coaches that can scheme guys open and use certain plays to set up others. The night and day difference from last year's abortion to this year's absolute symphony is undeniable.

I love that 2-back set we run. Some flashbacks of Highsmith-Bratton with the Gary Stevens offenses. Miami has some big backs (Chaney, Fletcher) that can lead block. They can get real creative with that

And Dawson's screen package is elite .That Parrish one would've gone for at least 35 yards if completed...
We left a lot of meat on the bone Saturday , big drops and some breakdowns like on that screen. That’s the scary part.

Dude I was fighting the fight in 2005-2006 lol. Miami was always all about innovation and staying a step ahead of the game. That’s why we had so much success as a program early on. The Sec, Big 8 , SWC and big 10 were all about the wishbone / option and Miami went to the pro style. All the detractors said college kids couldn’t run that lol, it was too complicated. Same when we went to the 4-3.

The ego around this program has been a cancer , “we’ll just get south Florida kids and out talent people”. Well look at the last fifteen years and see where we’ve landed. It’s been much more than spending, it’s been as much the mentality of the program. We had success doing things one way for years so why change ? Smh.
George C Scott America GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Yea wez goes back only late 2011, I wont even try to find old lounge post but Definitely saw writing on wall around same time mid 00s. That outtalent people ego was also something that started to show cracks around that time also, we became the old establishment we used to laugh at while we smacked them being ahead of curve. Being ahead of curve should of been our identity, but that is understandably ultra difficult. What is not is seeing it happen in real time then digging your heels in a losing position, sighs...

Better days ahead..

Advertisement
Wait, you mean to say space , motion, mixed with creative route concepts works? RR is the one I can’t wait to see in this offense , use him like Hill.
I absolutely can not WAIT for the young guys to get their chance. The starters have stepped up and performed well but when we remember Mario hasn't even gotten "his guys" in yet, it really has me excited for the future. RayRay, Robby and CJjr specifically have all been cited as speed demons, when we get them these same opportunities there will be PLENTY of house calls

We left a lot of meat on the bone Saturday , big drops and some breakdowns like on that screen. That’s the scary part.

I really think TVD got his 2021 mojo back. And this unit needed a game like this to say, 'OK, we're actually really good, here.' Confidence is real, it infectious. Guys like Jacolby will only get better after last week, as will Colbie. X has shown he's one of our most indispensable players

Still want to see if Skinner will play a role in his offense. I know his limitations, but he can be a match-up nightmare

I love that 2-back set we run. Some flashbacks of Highsmith-Bratton with the Gary Stevens offenses. Miami has some big backs (Chaney, Fletcher) that can lead block. They can get real creative with that

And Dawson's screen package is elite .That Parrish one would've gone for at least 35 yards if completed...
We ran 2 variations of counter there both with an extra blocker (the back). Alot of teams tag it as super counter for the additional hat.

Advertisement
View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

Wait, you mean to say space , motion, mixed with creative route concepts works? RR is the one I can’t wait to see in this offense , use him like Hill.
i remember prop joe a poster ranting an raving about motion the last 2 ocs...And alot of ppl saying.."mOtIOONNN" laughing about it....

Its a huge problem for defenses when used correctly and especially against youthful secondaries or those that cant communicate.

I know the choice to come here for DAWSON was easy...he walked into an NFL level qb that needed some fine tuning.

Now that mfer just needs to land his STUD qb...Though i think Brown could be a problem in the run game with these same motions and rpo's down the road.

One other thing I saw from Dawson is that he, and TVD, will hunt the other team’s weakness. TAMU played a true freshman CB, #14. Our guys went after him. The TD pass to Horton as an example. When TVD saw him playing up it really did not mater who our receiver was. TVD knew where he was going pre-snap which is why he looked off the safety and came back to Horton.
Expect more of this. We have 3 very good WR’s, and probably more behind them, and it will be very hard for team’s to hide their weakest DB. Dawson will wear out the matchup advantage as any good play caller will, and as we absolutely did not do last season.

Advertisement
On a side not is Tyrek Hill the most unstoppable WR in football. It's fun being a Dolphin Fan again.

It's even more fun being a CANE because in my eyes we have two very good coordinators and Mario has let them coach.
pretty much the only thing that could is if he is hurt...because if he isnt.....the dude across from him is pretty **** hard to stop as well......Waddle.

Those wrs put so much pressure on dbs its crazy.....The slowest wr on the fins likely runs sub 4.5 River Cracraft. Every one else is under 4.4 40's

Advertisement
View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

I liked how calm he was. The last drive of the half had a bad penalty and he shook it off. Result TD!!

I really think TVD got his 2021 mojo back. And this unit needed a game like this to say, 'OK, we're actually really good, here.' Confidence is real, it infectious. Guys like Jacolby will only get better after last week, as will Colbie. X has shown he's one of our most indispensable players

Still want to see if Skinner will play a role in his offense. I know his limitations, but he can be a match-up nightmare
I personally think theres 2 parts to TVD's 2021 mojo, confidence and catering to what he does best. From my (far from professional) analysis, TVD struggles making correct reads/throws in the intermediate middle of the field. He excels in throwing toward the sideline, however. When Tyler is in rhythm (confident in what hes seeing from the defense), comeback routes, out routes and fades are all MONEY. We saw this in 2021 where Rambo feasted on those sideline routes. Dawson has done a great job in catering the offense to TVD's strengths and having a lot of his throws be toward the sideline.

i remember prop joe a poster ranting an raving about motion the last 2 ocs...And alot of ppl saying.."mOtIOONNN" laughing about it....

Its a huge problem for defenses when used correctly and especially against youthful secondaries or those that cant communicate.

I know the choice to come here for DAWSON was easy...he walked into an NFL level qb that needed some fine tuning.

Now that mfer just needs to land his STUD qb...Though i think Brown could be a problem in the run game with these same motions and rpo's down the road.
Something so simple can cause so many headaches . From confusing defenders in man , changing assignments to causing schematic issues in zone. Flooding a zone.

Lining up every play with the same look in pre snap as post snap is beyond malpractice. You’re playing poker with your cards facing out lol.

Could he, absolutely. McDaniels was Mario's headliner for his coaching clinic this year so that interaction is obviously there. @Hurracanes made comment above about visiting fins also so thats awesome. In offseason coaches do that all the time and it only makes sense to use that opportunity with one of best minds in backyard and steal a few concepts..

we gone from Atari 2600 to PS5 in one off-season...

Advertisement
Back