Defense Depth Chart Predictions on 9/1

Advertisement
I would love to see McCord at SAM and Fig at WILL. Having AQM, McCord, and Fig on the field at the same time will be amazing.

I see Crawford, D. starting at S and Owens and Hester being second string at OLB and S respectively.

Advertisement
Using a 34 scheme is terrible for the players we have. Only Chikallo/kamalu fit in the 3 defensive lineman scheme. Everyone else ore 43 guys

Using a 34 scheme is terrible for the players we have. Only Chikallo/kamalu fit in the 3 defensive lineman scheme. Everyone else ore 43 guys

I find it ironic that in his opening press conference Golden said think players not plays. This whole time he has been thinking plays and not players.This whole staff has been incredibly rigid and dogmatic in terms of the defense and that is the crux of the problem. I really don't think that they know any better and that is a shame. One thing is for sure this year he will get his opportunity to prove otherwise.

lol what have u seen Crawford do ? I'll wait lol.....get toasted
A Crawford >>> Elder

Lmfao c'mon bro

He was the only DB we had that could cover Campanaro last year... He was eating us up on every third down till we put Crawford on him

This is very true and lead me to believe that he does have long range potential in terms of being a major contributor in his third fourth and fifth years here. I would assume that Tracy just did not have the quick twitch lateral quickness needed to keep up with Campanero. Also Burns and Elder had not yet gained the confidence of the staff at that point in time.

Advertisement

I find it ironic that in his opening press conference Golden said think players not plays. This whole time he has been thinking plays and not players.This whole staff has been incredibly rigid and dogmatic in terms of the defense and that is the crux of the problem. I really don't think that they know any better and that is a shame. One thing is for sure this year he will get his opportunity to prove otherwise.

This has been my biggest problem with golden, that and keeping Doritos.

Looking through some of the other ACC teams' projected lineups, that really shouldn't be a bottom-dwelling defense. There's a key issue at NT, of course, but there's a good amount of matured talent on that unit.

We shall see.

Advertisement
I'd love to see a front 4 of Kamalu at true DE, Wyche at NT, Chickillo at DT, McCord at speed rush and Jack LB, Perryman and Kirby as ILB's, Figueroa outside occasionally bringing blitz like a beast, Howard and Gunter as our corners, Rayshawn Jenkins and Deon Bush or Jamal Carter at Safety with Crawford being the first boundary nickelback but should get regular rotation at Safety.

Looking through some of the other ACC teams' projected lineups, that really shouldn't be a bottom-dwelling defense. There's a key issue at NT, of course, but there's a good amount of matured talent on that unit.

We shall see.

This is where the vast majority of the optimistic and pessimistic fans have common cause. I fall into the optimistic crowd, and respectfully, Lu, you've turned sour in your old age, ha ha. But I cannot agree with you (and rokulika, vern, et al) more that we have enough talent to be among the top defenses in the ACC. This is the year that D'O loses any excuse that the talent is not up to the scheme. If we get gouged like we did against UNC, Va Tech and Duke last year -- we even looked like **** against Wake -- then he's gone at the end of the season, IMO. And I really don't think it's the DT that's the biggest issue, but the DE/LB play in pressuring the QB and controlling the short passing lanes.

As an optimist, I'm going to predict we see a huge step up in defense with this 2-deep. No more Highsmith, Rodgers, Gaines, Cornelius, Green, with Armbrister only rotational. All replaced by vastly better athletes. If our new starters can't get it done, then it's coaching & development. I think they will get it done, and we see a massive improvement in our TFLs/Sacks and Turnover production, as well as turnovers-on-down (i.e., lowering opponents' 3rd-down conversion rates). And if that happens, and our offense is as good as we expect, then 9-3 or better and winning the ACC Coastal are absolutely doable.

Advertisement

We shall see.

This is where the vast majority of the optimistic and pessimistic fans have common cause. I fall into the optimistic crowd, and respectfully, Lu, you've turned sour in your old age, ha ha. But I cannot agree with you (and rokulika, vern, et al) more that we have enough talent to be among the top defenses in the ACC. This is the year that D'O loses any excuse that the talent is not up to the scheme. If we get gouged like we did against UNC, Va Tech and Duke last year -- we even looked like **** against Wake -- then he's gone at the end of the season, IMO. And I really don't think it's the DT that's the biggest issue, but the DE/LB play in pressuring the QB and controlling the short passing lanes.

As an optimist, I'm going to predict we see a huge step up in defense with this 2-deep. No more Highsmith, Rodgers, Gaines, Cornelius, Green, with Armbrister only rotational. All replaced by vastly better athletes. If our new starters can't get it done, then it's coaching & development. I think they will get it done, and we see a massive improvement in our TFLs/Sacks and Turnover production, as well as turnovers-on-down (i.e., lowering opponents' 3rd-down conversion rates). And if that happens, and our offense is as good as we expect, then 9-3 or better and winning the ACC Coastal are absolutely doable.

I agree with most of this post, except the bolded part. Why would firing D'Onofrio be the fix? If you believe in Golden's defense - and it is his - the only way D'Onofrio is the culprit is if he isn't teaching it correctly. And, that's hard to believe when you realize how close these guys are. If the defense fails (once again) it's every bit as much on Golden as D'Onofrio. I think a lot of the dissatisfaction with D'Onofrio is misdirected.

Updated:

DE Chickillo - Thomas - Hamilton
NT Wyche - Heurtelou - Moore
DE Kamalu - Pierre - Moten

LB McCord - AQM - Harris
LB Perryman - Blue - Young
LB Grace - Kirby - Smith
LB Figueroa - Armbrister - Owens

CB Howard - Gunter - Elder
SS Bush - Dallas - Fentress
FS Carter - Jenkins - Hester
CB Burns - Crawford - Dortch

Updated:

DE Chickillo - Thomas - Hamilton
NT Wyche - Woatelou - Moore
DE Kamalu - Pierre - Moten

LB McCord - AQM - Harris
LB Grace - Kirby - Smith
LB Figueroa - Armbrister - Owens

CB Howard - Gunter - Elder
FS Carter - Jenkins - Hester
CB Burns - Crawford - Dortch

fify.. Top 30 defense easy right?

Knowing Al and his propensity for being kind of stubborn I think it's most likely we see this starting lineup on hurricanesports.com

DE McCord - QAM - Harris
DT Pierre - Hamilton - Moten
DT Moore - Heurtelou - Wyche
DE Chickillo - Kamalu - Thomas
LB Armbrister - Figueroa - Owens
LB Kirby - Grace - Smith
CB Gunter - Burns - Dortch
FS Jenkins - Carter - Hester
CB Howard - Crawford - Elder

Advertisement