Coaching Dave Aranda

Far too many similarities in onion and aranda for me beyond the scheme they employ. Besides that I have ZERO interest in us running any form of a 3-4 AS A BASE... We should always be versatile enough to adapt to any teams we face but as a base I don't see a 3-4 as intriguing.
3-4 is actually more versatile than a 4-3 lol... its just your base, now if the coach doesn't have sub packages to match personnel thats where the problem is. You can be versatile with either one. Bama has a base 3-4, uga has a base 3-4. Its more about the personnel and how its coached. Nobody(i hope) is playing their base defense every snap its actually probably at an all time low today with the new offenses

I think the fanbase has ptsd from the dorito days when he just wasn't a good coach loll the 3-4 is still good and is the most used base in college and NFL

Advertisement
3-4 is actually more versatile than a 4-3 lol... its just your base, now if the coach doesn't have sub packages to match personnel thats where the problem is. You can be versatile with either one. Bama has a base 3-4, uga has a base 3-4. Its more about the personnel and how its coached. Nobody(i hope) is playing their base defense every snap its actually probably at an all time low today with the new offenses

I think the fanbase has ptsd from the dorito days when he just wasn't a good coach loll the 3-4 is still good and is the most used base in college and NFL
I'm aware of in a perfect world what defense is more versatile. I'm also aware that defense with the personal we annually compile wouldn't go see well here. Has zero to do with the fact it is a 3-4 opposed to a 4-3 & everything to do with I'm aware what the average kids we recruit mentally have as a strength opposed to a weakness. I get I don't play anymore but all these things you call me or fresh outlooks are actually recycled over and over.

Just a heads up...you're talking to a former Cane who started at UM...on a 4-3 defense that'd lay waste in the ACC today...and make our defense (if that's what ya wanna call it) today, look like a farce...

I'm aware of in a perfect world what defense is more versatile. I'm also aware that defense with the personal we annually compile wouldn't go see well here. Has zero to do with the fact it is a 3-4 opposed to a 4-3 & everything to do with I'm aware what the average kids we recruit mentally have as a strength opposed to a weakness. I get I don't play anymore but all these things you call me or fresh outlooks are actually recycled over and over.
Yea i understand the recruiting part of it down here, even tho i think we can run it if the players are coached and developed correctly. I was just saying if u wanted to be more versatile to combat multiple things then that is saying run a 3-4 *base* without actually saying it

Just a heads up...you're talking to a former Cane who started at UM...on a 4-3 defense that'd lay waste in the ACC today...and make our defense (if that's what ya wanna call it) today, look like a farce...
Thats cool, i got love for all canes present and former.

Im not saying anything bad about the 4-3 but i think we gotta realize jimmy was ahead of his time with the way he ran it and he took it to the NFL and won with it, with success like that it comes with everyone trying to find solutions to it, and i mean everyone loll.

In todays football you have to be multiple in your fronts, personnel, and coverages no matter what base u play. You have to gameplan around what an offenses strengths are not just play what u run every week like what manny does lol

Advertisement
Thats cool, i got love for all canes present and former.

Im not saying anything bad about the 4-3 but i think we gotta realize jimmy was ahead of his time with the way he ran it and he took it to the NFL and won with it, with success like that it comes with everyone trying to find solutions to it, and i mean everyone loll.

In todays football you have to be multiple in your fronts, personnel, and coverages no matter what base u play. You have to gameplan around what an offenses strengths are not just play what u run every week like what manny does lol
Pretty sure that's the first thing I said. A base is simply that it's a base. Winning football requires the ability to adapt and Game plan for anything to come across. That's been lost for a long time down here. Again when I was speaking about versatility it's because I understand what kind of kids were coming across and a 3-4 is not these kids. So our versatility lays in a base for three again that is simply a base most of the time or running a 443 quarters

By the way no d didn't fail because he ran a 3-4. He failed because he ran primarily zone and a dime package with principles you get taught at William and Mary opposed to anything explosive we'd run from pee wee on here. He was literally trying to reinvent the wheel

Pretty sure that's the first thing I said. A base is simply that it's a base. Winning football requires the ability to adapt and Game plan for anything to come across. That's been lost for a long time down here. Again when I was speaking about versatility it's because I understand what kind of kids were coming across and a 3-4 is not these kids. So our versatility lays in a base for three again that is simply a base most of the time or running a 443 quarters

By the way no d didn't fail because he ran a 3-4. He failed because he ran primarily zone and a dime package with principles you get taught at William and Mary opposed to anything explosive we'd run from pee wee on here. He was literally trying to reinvent the wheel
Agreed i didn't see your post saying that..i just saw the we want to be versatile but stay away from the 3-4, i get what you're saying even tho i think we can run it here but it would take more of an effort to find the right players, you're right about that.

And i only referred to dorito because i think thats what most of our fans think of when 3-4 is mentioned.

Advertisement
Again, Let's not kid ourselves...The job is Mario's "IF" he wants it...I've known that for months...Aranda would be a **** good backup plan. Fickell is NOT coming to UM....
What do you think about Stoops? He reminds me of a certain coach that shall remain nameless so this thread doesn’t get sidetracked.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Don't see what an appeal to authority (hey, this guy did ______ or is _______) has to do with the conversation. @E1k's post was actually solid substance. It makes for good convo on the board, especially with someone like Dee who knows football. Dee responded. It's a good example of substance on the board.

[As you know, there are all kinds of 3-4s these days beyond the mismatched one we saw from Golden. Anyway, as E1K referenced, 4-3 vs 3-4 is kind of a stale argument given what offenses do now. Your defense is predominantly in a sub-package. Hope the convo moves to fronts and what coverages are behind it or whether it's an attacking/slanting front vs a 2-gap version we probably can't do. Good football discussion makes the board better and more entertaining.]

Advertisement
Swflhurricane. Just a question I was thinking about, and you spent many hours around the program in the Butch years. Was Butch more of a Nick Saban or Pete Carrol type of coach?
You didn't want Butch in your face,,couldn't tolerate mental mistakes..

After seeing the defenses Aranda put forth in such varying locations and athletes as Wisconsin, LSU, and Baylor, I don't care if he runs a 3-4, 4-3, or 8-2-1 defense. Whatever it is, he gets it done!

Advertisement
Back