Coaching Conundrum - Mario possibility compared to Scott Frost going home

Significantly different situations IMO. Mario has enjoyed two turnaround stories; FIU and Oregon via Alabama. Scott did a quick stint at UCF and immediately left to Nebraska. So he’s been coaching at his alma mater since year 3 of his coaching career.

Mario has been coaching outside of his alma mater for a very long time. His experience going into this situation would be night and day. Scott never proved if he was a great recruiter or not, that’s how short his stint was. Mario was a good recruiter at FIU and now at Oregon - just look at his most recent classes.

So IMO night and day. One was not even close to being ready while the other one would be.

Advertisement
Liberty City shared his perspective on Mario below. I agree with him on what he said. Many of you have shared great thoughts that are pro/anti Mario & other possible candidates.

He would be my first choice for Miami due to a lot of reasons. To go along with the sentiment LCE shared, I started to think about Scott Frost. He had great success at UCF, learned on the job and went home. That hasn’t worked well for him into year three. Would we have the patience if Mario had similar results? Why is it working out well for Frost? Did he become a bad coach overnight or are other factors in play here?

What do you guys think?

Post in thread 'Who would you want for HC'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/who-would-you-want-for-hc.172069/post-5406921
Harbaugh was a Michigan alumnus welcomed back with a huge payday.

Harbaugh was a Michigan alumnus welcomed back with a huge payday.
I think that would be a better comparison in a way but Harbaugh I think had higher expectations because a) it’s Michigan and b) all of the success he had prior in college & NFL

Advertisement
I also think Mario will be a tough pull. The new Nike NIL program is a game changer for them. They can hand recruits (and families) legal money.

I love UM, and I'm sure Mario does even more, but it would makes no actual sense. If he did, it would be a completely emotional decision.

I don't think you can compare Frost's situation to Mario's. Mario is currently in a better situation, with way more support. Nebraska is definitely a step up from UCF. I don't know if I could confidently say UM is a better situation than Oregon, recruiting base aside.

Regardless, the new AD should do the right thing for a former alumni and offer an Interview, even if it only leads to a pay bump for an alumni.
He can have all the NIL money you want you are not getting the big time war daddies on the D-Line from Texas and the south to come out to Oregon. He’s a great O-Line coach and will be able to get top O line recruits off that but the game is won on the defensive line. Better chance of getting them at UM then Oregon, that’s if the New AD can give more commitment to football.

Nebraska is incredibly difficult to win at in the modern college football landscape. They lack a talent pool available to them to compete in modern college football. Its a hellscape of recruiting and even when you venture out of Nebraska to land recruits, as Scott Frost just learned, it isn't very easy to keep them there. At this point, their only hope to compete is to be like Iowa where they are like an 8, 9-win team most years and pop double digit wins when they have a senior laden team with some developed talent. They had that with Bo Pelini, but they thought they were too good for that, and look at them now.

Nebraska is incredibly difficult to win at in the modern college football landscape. They lack a talent pool available to them to compete in modern college football. Its a hellscape of recruiting and even when you venture out of Nebraska to land recruits, as Scott Frost just learned, it isn't very easy to keep them there. At this point, their only hope to compete is to be like Iowa where they are like an 8, 9-win team most years and pop double digit wins when they have a senior laden team with some developed talent. They had that with Bo Pelini, but they thought they were too good for that, and look at them now.
They never should have fired Frank Solich

Advertisement
I am concerned that Mario is a 2 to 3 loss a year guy like Mullin and several others. He will not ***** things up, but likewise he will not shock the world. Perhaps that is the best we can hope for……

2-3 loss a year guy at Miami would be a major step forward. Like, an entire tier or even two higher than what we are right now. We've been an 8-win team on average over the past 20 years. To be a consistent 9-10 win team? If that is what you think we'd be under Mario Cristobal, idk why anyone would say no to that right now.

Its going to be a process to get back to where we as fans want to be. We aren't going from 8-win slop...with many 6, 7 win seasons seemingly every other year to top of the food chain any time soon.

Getting our athletic department in order, getting a coach that can recruit the area and keep our talent home while taking us up a tier should be our short term goals. Trying to hit a home run with every hire is a nice way to keep striking out.

He can have all the NIL money you want you are not getting the big time war daddies on the D-Line from Texas and the south to come out to Oregon. He’s a great O-Line coach and will be able to get top O line recruits off that but the game is won on the defensive line. Better chance of getting them at UM then Oregon, that’s if the New AD can give more commitment to football.

He's landed a #1 DE (Thibodeaux) and 2 #1 LBs (Sewell and Flowe). Not to mention multiple highly ranked OL. I have more faith in Cristobal landing an OOS war daddy before we do. Also, I don't doubt Phil Knight ambitions to see Oregon (his professional sports team lol) atop the college football world.

To me, our only hope is Urban goes to USC, and maybe Mario decides to leave on a high note.

He's landed a #1 DE (Thibodeaux) and 2 #1 LBs (Sewell and Flowe). Not to mention multiple highly ranked OL. I have more faith in Cristobal landing an OOS war daddy before we do. Also, I don't doubt Phil Knight ambitions to see Oregon (his professional sports team lol) atop the college football world.

To me, our only hope is Urban goes to USC, and maybe Mario decides to leave on a high note.

Mario has re$ource$ at Oregon that he would not have here.

Understood, but Manny is recruiting, this year aside, top 15 classes.

You don’t think Mario could get guys to consistently be between 7-12 every year?

I think we agree that Mario is a way better coach with a way better staff. 9-10 win seasons for the next 2-3 years wouldn’t be good enough for now as a start?

Advertisement
i'm confused did frost have a job at nebraska then leave 2 weeks after accepting it like mario did?
I was talking about heading back to his alma matter as HC after being a successful coach at another college program.

I know you’re referring to Mario when he left his role as O-Line coach.

True, but even in the Chip Kelly days of them going to the national championship did they recruit at that high level. Mario is known as a great recruiter and developer. Players under him have gone to ball out in the NFL. We haven't developed our guys, or put players in the NFL that have really produced at a pro bowl level. He's about to go three years in a row putting out a top 10 draft pick. He even recruited and developed the two top players ever drafted out of FIU.

Advertisement
2-3 loss a year guy at Miami would be a major step forward. Like, an entire tier or even two higher than what we are right now. We've been an 8-win team on average over the past 20 years. To be a consistent 9-10 win team? If that is what you think we'd be under Mario Cristobal, idk why anyone would say no to that right now.

Its going to be a process to get back to where we as fans want to be. We aren't going from 8-win slop...with many 6, 7 win seasons seemingly every other year to top of the food chain any time soon.

Getting our athletic department in order, getting a coach that can recruit the area and keep our talent home while taking us up a tier should be our short term goals. Trying to hit a home run with every hire is a nice way to keep striking out.
7 win team on average

Advertisement
Back