MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

You 100% did. I don't post on here much and usually just lurk, but there's a ton of bad info out there on this topic since its a lightning rod for content. Nice to see someone lay it out so clearly once in a while to clear out all the BS. Miami only joins the Big12 if there is no other option. I don't care if its 50% share, 30% share etc. The media rights distribution is just one small portion of how massive this decision is not only for our athletic department, but our institution as a whole. Especially with Revenue sharing on the horizon and budget shortfalls in schools all over the country.
One last note: Today's price is not tomorrow's price. You can take more money from the Big12 now with the hopes that you can jump to the big10 in 6 years but theres no guarantee that $ offer from the Big10 doesn't get worse if its there at all. Anyone who claims otherwise should go buy a lottery ticket since they can predict the future. Don't gamble the future of the school on pride.
Correct it’s literally doing what the acc did with espn deal or what Miami did with adidas.

Look how those played out…

Advertisement
To me the real question if the ACC goes **** up and isn't economically viable... do we go independent and keep waiting / pushing for a P2 invite. I.e. can an independent Miami alone make more than a B12 school.

To me the real question if the ACC goes **** up and isn't economically viable... do we go independent and keep waiting / pushing for a P2 invite. I.e. can an independent Miami alone make more than a B12 school.
100% we should do this. Don’t rush into a Big 12 marriage. Do something like the PAC 2 and bide your time until we actually can figure out a way into the P2. Maybe team up with UNC, NC State, GT or UVA or whoever are the top ACC schools left behind but still have some intrigue for the P2. Figure out a conference scheduling agreement with the P2 while we work things out. Money is irrelevant in my mind in the short term so much as keeping up our reputation of being above the Big 12 castoffs.

If we knew for an absolute certainty that in 2030 or earlier, there would be a complete split of CFB from the NCAA, and the top like 32-48 programs all left (and we were locked as one of those programs which I'd assume we are) to create their own national CFB league where like players were paid directly, then I can understand the argument of moving to the Big12 for more money for a couple years. The problem is you don't have that guarantee. And you don't have a guarantee it wouldn't JUST be a B10/SEC exit from the NCAA and forming their own partnership league locking everyone else out. The risk of that wouldn't be worth just like $5M/yr difference in a half share B10 vs full share B12 even if that were the payout difference. It actually wouldn't really surprised me that a Full share in ACC/B12 could be worth more than half share of B10 for at least a year or two. That is not likely to be the case by 2030 though.

So no way would I choose B12 over half share B10. **** why even pay to leave the ACC for the B12 at all? If anything we are choosing between staying in the ACC and taking half share from B10. Because whether we left for B10/B12, it'd cost $100M+ unless the ACC just died completely. That is very unlikely. So unless over the next 6 years until 2030 the B12 was paying $15M+ more than the ACC, why the **** would we leave our current situation?

The SEC is really the key to all this. If they get UNC and Clemson, I don't even think the B10 has a choice but to give us and FSU what we want, cause they'd absolutely NEED both of us. And if the SEC went and got FSU, Idk how we wouldn't get a full share from the B10 tbh.

Friendo, the point is around two weeks ago you called me a “massive troll” for saying what Flo said. So I’m wondering whether you are going to say he’s a troll or apologize.

Also what research advantages? Other conferences get research grants too- I explained earlier in the thread that it’s a bit of a misconception about the pot o’ money for research (I initially misunderstood as well). When they brag about 10 billion in research , they are just totalling up the amount each school has been awarded individually. They say it’s conference money because schools don’t have to jump through hoops to do joint research. All conferences streamline research for conference schools. B1G doesn’t do anything special research wise that other conferences don’t do. There isn’t a big pot of money that only B1G schools can dip into.
Squid ... what I had read when I scanned over your post was a comment stating Miami "would still be in the ACC in 2033" ... and yes I took that as a troll comment. I don't believe I called you a "massive troll" ... that is editorializing on your part. I believe I said "ok we get it that it a troll comment" or something to that effect. As to Flo's comments ... I haven't read his actual post but I believe he has put it out there as an option ... a full share from the B12 or a partial from the B10 ... and not "the only option as Miami is no longer attractive to the big boys due to 20 years of irrelevance".

We need to watch and see how this actually unfolds. Who knows, it is possible that nobody from the ACC actually joins a new conference before the 2026 season, and if Miami makes the CFP in 2024, and appears to be significantly improved as a program, they might be traveling with FSU.

Advertisement
SMU opted to forego their entire share for years just to get into the ACC. They recognized the intangibles of being in a P4 v G5. Same rule applies here. Half share to start, increasing to full share thereafter over several years, similar to Wash and Oregon, just makes sense. Do the deal, get into the right conference.
Makes sense coming from G5 for SMU. Is not even comparable to our case. I think they will go for 1/2 share on the B10 but I am not oppose to the B12 for some years and greater money. This realignment process will take years to complete.

Last edited:
SMU opted to forego their entire share for years just to get into the ACC. They recognized the intangibles of being in a P4 v G5. Same rule applies here. Half share to start, increasing to full share thereafter over several years, similar to Wash and Oregon, just makes sense. Do the deal, get into the right conference.

SMU had boosters say they would more than make up for the money lost by giving up shares. Oregon has a sugar daddy multi billionaire who will make up any lost money. From 2005-2023 UW was ranked #22 in total donations to athletics- ahead of Penn State. They might hurt a little but have tremendous fundraising. Do you think we have a donor base that will make up for the shortfall? If Penn State is getting 90 million per year (not including donations) and we are getting zero shares for 5 years because we are desperate to join the P2 (like SMU with ACC), how exactly are we going to be competitive ? I’m not saying that makes the Big12 a better option, but if the B1G lowballs us (which it can), and offers us 25% shares for 5 years but gives FSU full shares, we have no chance of being competitive in the conference other than having exceptional coaching. And well…

The people saying Miami should go Big 12 because we'd dominate are incredibly naive. Oklahoma and Texas did exactly that and STILL left for the P2.

A great season in the Big 12 isn't as valuable as you think it is. There's already talk of 1 loss teams in the Big 12 being left out in favor of 3 loss teams from the SEC/B1G. And its only gonna get worse for them.

The current Big 12 might as well be in the group of 5. In a few years, everything outside the P2 will be seen as the new FCS.

Advertisement
Correct it’s literally doing what the acc did with espn deal or what Miami did with adidas.

Look how those played out…
Right. Only a group of idiots would make these decisions... And we have been in that group - more than once....

Squid ... what I had read when I scanned over your post was a comment stating Miami "would still be in the ACC in 2033" ... and yes I took that as a troll comment.

Wasn’t a troll comment- It is one of the courses of action , and in my opinion, the one that Rad would prefer the most- save the ACC and stay in it if possible. The key is North Carolina. Conference will be weakened but could limp along without FSU and Clemson. But if UNC leaves as well, it’s done. They would try to add Tulane, Memphis and some other random schools to be a poor man’s B1G. Probably get a deal just like the Big 12. Question would be which better, being the top dog with UNC in the #1 academic conference or go be the crown jewel of the dumbest conference (big 12). Despite plummeting in the academic ranks , the top brass still think of UM as an elite academic school and I think would heavily prefer staying in the ACC over the big 12 if the money is the same.

Wasn’t a troll comment- It is one of the courses of action , and in my opinion, the one that Rad would prefer the most- save the ACC and stay in it if possible. The key is North Carolina. Conference will be weakened but could limp along without FSU and Clemson. But if UNC leaves as well, it’s done. They would try to add Tulane, Memphis and some other random schools to be a poor man’s B1G. Probably get a deal just like the Big 12. Question would be which better, being the top dog with UNC in the #1 academic conference or go be the crown jewel of the dumbest conference (big 12). Despite plummeting in the academic ranks , the top brass still think of UM as an elite academic school and I think would heavily prefer staying in the ACC over the big 12 if the money is the same.
If the money is the same ... you stay in the ACC because why would you PAY an ACC exit fee of $100M+ to leave ... for the same money? You leave for the B10. Period.

SMU had boosters say they would more than make up for the money lost by giving up shares. Oregon has a sugar daddy multi billionaire who will make up any lost money. From 2005-2023 UW was ranked #22 in total donations to athletics- ahead of Penn State. They might hurt a little but have tremendous fundraising. Do you think we have a donor base that will make up for the shortfall? If Penn State is getting 90 million per year (not including donations) and we are getting zero shares for 5 years because we are desperate to join the P2 (like SMU with ACC), how exactly are we going to be competitive ? I’m not saying that makes the Big12 a better option, but if the B1G lowballs us (which it can), and offers us 25% shares for 5 years but gives FSU full shares, we have no chance of being competitive in the conference other than having exceptional coaching. And well…
And having a few donors make up the difference.

Advertisement
We continue to divert hospital revenue to make up the shortfall until we get a a full share. We have a lot more revenue that we can play with than FSU.

I'm calling my man CP Mohammed bin Salman.

Miami buying the B1G and SEC.

We byke, Insha' Allah.

20240506_150249.jpg

Advertisement
Flo was insistent that the B12 offer was larger in the short term and it wasn't a mistake. He seemed to be implying why not take the full B12 share now then join the B10 with a full share in a couple of years. There are multiple problems with this approach:

1. There's absolutely no guarantee that the B10 will accept you in a couple of years when all the spots are full
  2. If you fail to get into the P2, your program is doomed to irrelevancy
  3. The B12 money will dry up when the networks focus on the P2.
Fail Take That GIF by Fort Wayne TinCaps
This is probably just our admin indicating they have another option in order to promote the B1G to give a bigger share

In have always believed that if the B1G wants to bypass the SEC as the best conference they would bite the bullet until the next contract by ripping the top right out of the ACC and get all 4 of FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami. It would be the ultimate power move! I am not sure they could pull it off because it is so easy for ESPN to simply transfer assets to the SEC and stop paying the ACC contract $. I also believe Clemson and UNC may both prefer the SEC, despite UNC lining up with the B1G more academically.

Advertisement
Back