MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I have to say, if Miami is even CONSIDERING an invitation to the B12 over ANY invitation to the B10 (short of an SMU type situation), then it says a lot about their vision and plans for the future.
Seems like the vision of a school that would hire their FB coach before the AD, then not really allow the AD to hire a baseball coach...

Advertisement
If a Big 10 offer is on the table we’re going there regardless of the short term payout scheme. We are not going to the Big 12. There’s also no guarantee that they’d choose to expand after the next contract. You get in when you can, you don’t **** around and hope there’s an opportunity in the future.

Honestly, anyone advocating for the Big 12 is a ******* clown whose opinion should be immediately disregarded. There’s no universe where that move would ever make any sense.
Large....IF

The one after Maryland left. I think it tied us up through 2036
Incorrect.

Maryland announced leaving in 2012 for start in big ten 2014

Grant of rights extended through 2036 in 2016 when espn agreed to do the acc network. It has been through 2027 prior to that.

Large....IF

this.gif

We end up in the Big 12 we didn't have an offer from either of the Power 2.

I agree- but as I said around five months ago- Rad was one of the biggest cheerleaders for the ACC GOR. He was instrumental in getting the ACC network. It was his signature achievement. Trying to get out of the ACC like FSU and suing to join another conference would basically be admitting that he was responsible for pushing for and signing one of the worst media deals in the history of sports. People don’t typically do 180s like that and admit they made a colossally stupid decision and their greatest achievement killed a conference.

That’s why my prediction was that Rads first priority would be to save the ACC , and only when that failed would we seriously pivot to looking at another conference. I’m sure he tried valiantlyfor the B1G, but it’s an issue of carriage fees and value add. A lot depended on which teams the P2 picked. Doesn’t look like the ball bounced like we needed it to. So option is massively reduced shares in B1G or full shares in Big 12 and being their “crown jewel”. We try for the B1G and full shares in the next go round. I don’t know which they will pick. Arguments for both. But I do recall you calling me a troll many times for suggesting what Flo just did.
Fortunately the conference realignment decision for the University Of Miami is not Dan Radakovich's to make. It is a task and responsibility above his pay grade, and it involves a lot more than just football. Research investment advantages of being in the B10, even at a partial media payout share for several years, plus the recruiting and network exposure of the Big Ten network vs the ACC, makes it a no brainer, and a priority.

Advertisement
If that's the only scenario, you couldn't afford NOT to go P2.
Going Big XII in that scenario would be extremely shortsighted, like picking Adidas over Nike in 2015 for "short term financial gains" (cc: @TheOriginalCane ) and signal we're not serious about competing at the highest levels and winning.

Flo also said recruiting wouldn't be affected, but the day is soon coming where if you aren't P2 you'll be considered JV status.

In addition, Oregon and Washington are taking more than their half-share initially because they are borrowing from future earnings through loans from the Big Ten. If Miami really needed to, they could do the same.
It would 100% be affected to think other wise is asinine.

I’ve not tried the double decker, but now that’s immediately on the bucket list.

There’s also a pizza from Chicago that’s confused w/ the deep dish which is Chicago’s Stuffed Crust.

I’m going to take on the ambitious task to try recreate both the tavern style & the stuffed crust. I need new baking tools for both.
brads is really good.

Advertisement
The one after Maryland left. I think it tied us up through 2036.

Again- I never said I guaranteed the Big 12 or hoped for it, nor did I claim that people making guaranteed predictions to the P2 were full of **** (only that what I was observing didn’t line up with the optimists), nor did I say UM was a bad program that no one wanted. My opinion was that it was a game of musical chairs, P2 was running out of seats, and I could see the way this was trending months ago. Flo is now saying what I said, so I’m waiting to see if porsters say the same disgusting things about him and his loyalty to UM that they said about me.
That article is from 2016. All D Rad says is the ACC Network is a good step towards getting to where the Big Ten and SEC are in terms of revenue.

SMU opted to forego their entire share for years just to get into the ACC. They recognized the intangibles of being in a P4 v G5. Same rule applies here. Half share to start, increasing to full share thereafter over several years, similar to Wash and Oregon, just makes sense. Do the deal, get into the right conference.

I know this has already been talked about a little. But IMO the regional conferences are redundant to an emerging national playoff conference at this point. Teams like SMU, NC State, Va Tech, UCF, Houston deserve to be "In" not "Out", and a true Playoff Conference would be better for all participants if each participant contractually committed to investing in their program by some minimum amount. I know that's not happening any time soon. But it feels like the sport is diminished by having so few "In" teams making the P2.

Advertisement
SMU opted to forego their entire share for years just to get into the ACC. They recognized the intangibles of being in a P4 v G5. Same rule applies here. Half share to start, increasing to full share thereafter over several years, similar to Wash and Oregon, just makes sense. Do the deal, get into the right conference.
SMU also had a booster group pledge $40 million per year to cover the media payout deficit.

Advertisement
Another HUGE issue with B12 vs B10 is RESEARCH FUNDING. The B10 is the largest research conference and by being a member Miami would potentially have access to incremental US Government research funding that would dwarf the media revenue for football.

Yupppppppppp

I posted this as a strong point regarding Clemson, and this being one of the major deficiencies to appeal to BigTen

Fortunately the conference realignment decision for the University Of Miami is not Dan Radakovich's to make. It is a task and responsibility above his pay grade, and it involves a lot more than just football. Research investment advantages of being in the B10, even at a partial media payout share for several years, plus the recruiting and network exposure of the Big Ten network vs the ACC, makes it a no brainer, and a priority.

Friendo, the point is around two weeks ago you called me a “massive troll” for saying what Flo said. So I’m wondering whether you are going to say he’s a troll or apologize.

Also what research advantages? Other conferences get research grants too- I explained earlier in the thread that it’s a bit of a misconception about the pot o’ money for research (I initially misunderstood as well). When they brag about 10 billion in research , they are just totalling up the amount each school has been awarded individually. They say it’s conference money because schools don’t have to jump through hoops to do joint research. All conferences streamline research for conference schools. B1G doesn’t do anything special research wise that other conferences don’t do. There isn’t a big pot of money that only B1G schools can dip into.

Last edited:
I didn’t even want to go into the 8d chess version of why it doesn’t work because stating that would inevitably have someone **** on the actual numbers provided by deflecting to “it’s only football decision” so I kept it there and still dropped a mic I think

But you’re correct
You 100% did. I don't post on here much and usually just lurk, but there's a ton of bad info out there on this topic since its a lightning rod for content. Nice to see someone lay it out so clearly once in a while to clear out all the BS. Miami only joins the Big12 if there is no other option. I don't care if its 50% share, 30% share etc. The media rights distribution is just one small portion of how massive this decision is not only for our athletic department, but our institution as a whole. Especially with Revenue sharing on the horizon and budget shortfalls in schools all over the country.
One last note: Today's price is not tomorrow's price. You can take more money from the Big12 now with the hopes that you can jump to the big10 in 6 years but theres no guarantee that $ offer from the Big10 doesn't get worse if its there at all. Anyone who claims otherwise should go buy a lottery ticket since they can predict the future. Don't gamble the future of the school on pride.

Advertisement
Back