Coaching Coaching Profile: Aaron Feld

Advertisement
Do you not see that you're making my point? A 6'2, 215lbs freak athlete FS who was "rarely" in the weight room?

Swasey had nothing to do with it, he could have been doing Yoga once a week and still would have been the best player on the field.

But when those guys get a championship on freak athleticism, suddenly everyone laments how "good we looked back when we had Swasey."

It wasn't Swasey, it was the athletes.
So who could we bring in to replace him? Do you think we keep him in staff for the energy / motivation / culture stuff or you think his a$$ should just be canned and bring in someone with a better grasp on what works to prevent injuries and improve performance

So who could we bring in to replace him? Do you think we keep him in staff for the energy / motivation / culture stuff or you think his a$$ should just be canned and bring in someone with a better grasp on what works to prevent injuries and improve performance
Well, fortunately or unfortunately, I don't get paid to make those decisions.

I've made posts on here before but in reality the best S&C coach is probably someone you've never heard of, who has a strong academic background but also is a great motivator, who knows how to create effective programs that minimize injury and maximize performance.

There's hundreds of them around the country who do their job well and go home at the end of the day. But every coaching cycle CIS gets hung up on how loud he yells and how much he bench presses, as opposed to the meat and potatoes of how he runs a program.

I’ll say it again…if in year three we still look slow and weak get on Feld and S&C but for now I’d say focus your hate elsewhere. Because Feld is just one piece of that puzzle too and S&C can’t be changed in 9 months.

I do wish we started getting some speed guys running track again

I'd prefer they play soccer to track. There's some really good research around preventing ACL injuries because of learning how to move with fast cuts better in soccer and brings better stop/start performance which generally translates to the field better.

Advertisement
I’ll say it again…if in year three we still look slow and weak get on Feld and S&C but for now I’d say focus your hate elsewhere. Because Feld is just one piece of that puzzle too and S&C can’t be changed in 9 months.

I do wish we started getting some speed guys running track again
the issue is Oregon had a similar injury issue w the same staff. now it could be a Mario thing and not a Feld thing or a combo of both or just Feld. its a trend though

It may…but we can’t lump all injuries into one catch all. Ankles gets rolled, guys get tackled wrong, a qb gets slammed and landed on, a guy makes a cut and foot slides out.

So many factors. It’s like people who blame a pitching coach who has had a kid for 2 months and blames him for a ucl year. Unless he had him running and gunning 16oz baseball that ucl was likely breaking down from the previous 36 straight months of baseball little Timmy played as a 13-14yr old with our any rest, recovery, and mobility/prehab/rehab work.

All I’m saying is right now we aren’t really winning or losing because of Feld.

I like Feld being on staff for hype & inspiration purposes, but we need to couple him with people who actually know sports science and how to actually help players build muscle and prevent injury.
Not me, I trained with some hardcore powerlifters and bodybuilders in college. We didn’t want or need corny **** in the gym. We wanted focus and intensity. Field may think he oozes intensity but it’s a shtick and comes across as exhausting.

Some Penn State players would come work out with us on free days to get in a good workout. They liked it much more than the crap John Thomas was pushing up there….the same John Thomas that worked at UM under Gus.

This is the correct answer.

I've said it probably 15 times on here but I'll say it again, I will never disparage Swasey's character - and I've shaken his hand in person, but as a S&C coach he and Moffitt and all these guys are dinosaurs.

Training the best college football players ever assembled on one team makes you look like a genius; how hard do you think it really is to train Andre Johnson, Sean Taylor and Jonathan Vilma? Same with Cochran when he was at Bama.
Agreed. Like you I’m not going to take shots at Swasey the person, but I’ve seen his workout routines, had copies of specific lifting schedules with exercise/reps and was not impressed. It was different than anything anyone else was doing or different than run of the mill routines online. When he couldn’t pass his certification it was a big red flag for me and I couldn’t support that from fan perspective. Any other person in a career requiring a certification would be viewed in a very negative manner if they couldn‘t complete those requirements. S&C should be no different bc future health is at risk.

Advertisement
Feld is considered one of the top S&C coaches in the country. Mario's Oregon teams were certainly strong and fast, maybe it's just these players don't give a **** and are lazy It comes down to about 75% of our players are either just not good players or they are lazy and give no effort, as well as us having a bad OC who just whines and complains. That's why we suck, I can't wait for the purge to happen in the off-season.
Oregon had a ton of injuries with feld. Just saying.

This is an impossible ask.

There are so many factors. This is why S&C conversations on a message board never go anywhere. Data is hard to come by.

@AlphaMarshan is more equipped to address this, but you'd likely have to look at S&C, recovery, practice schedule, and the specific injury. I mean, we know football is violent and injuries will happen. Trying to determine which are in the natural course of football and which are somehow related to S&C or some other factor is likely impossible.

I've never been a fan of the guy. That said, for all I know, he's awesome but Mario's practice schedule lends itself to overuse and overtraining and the kids can't recover on a day-to-day basis. I mean, again, there are just so many variables and possibilities.
So if there are too many variables to even give the absolute minimum evidence/support for this opinion, maybe people shouldn't do the "told you so" game

Advertisement
Usually injuries are an unlucky factor. Very rarely could you really poke your finger at the S&C...but this one might qualify for investigation. Oregon did have a ton of injuries.

I always thought motivation and developing that hard work, competitive environment was the most important part of the job as I assumed most of the S&C at the level of football we are playing at was generally state of the art with mild variations (at least to a layman) ... but I can buy the connection.

It's interesting. I feel it's very complicated to connect. So many factors.

Hello Canes. Feld is more about appearance (he loves attention) and social media than about S and C. With him Oregon had so many injuries that it was crazymaking. Lanning of course has a new guy for S and C and injuries are diminished. Case: Cameron McCormick (TE) is a Senior who has been injured the previous three seasons. With the new coach he is injury free. He is blocking well both in the backfield and down the field. He has touchdown catches. Lanning is not messing around.
Wow, guy goes from injured to healthy! Fire Feld now! Lanning is the Goat!

lol yall are hilarious.
I could blame all the injuries on us practicing on the IPF too much and none of yall would have a legit counter argument to make... grass > turf... Nobody knows that S&C is the reason for our injuries. And nobody wants to actually go player by payer and critically think if S&C has anything to do with anything.. Yall are legit acting like no programs have a lot of injuries. Yall are acting like guys in the the Pros don't have teams that get major injuries every year....

And who are the 2 guys everyone talks about? Dudes that don't have a job and were at the top 20 years ago lol.

So if there are too many variables to even give the absolute minimum evidence/support for this opinion, maybe people shouldn't do the "told you so" game
@AlphaMarshan mentioned this very possibility before the season began. It has come to fruition. Why? We can't know for sure. But if you do not think this is-what he termed a "concern" which is a very fair way to put it-you are putting your head in the sand and pretending this is not an issue and it is.

Advertisement
@AlphaMarshan mentioned this very possibility before the season began. It has come to fruition. Why? We can't know for sure. But if you do not think this is-what he termed a "concern" which is a very fair way to put it-you are putting your head in the sand and pretending this is not an issue and it is.
this happened at Oregon. this happened here out of nowhere. it may not be Feld at all. it could be the Mario practices that ruined Oregons health and ours. it could be the SnC coach.

this happened at Oregon. this happened here out of nowhere. it may not be Feld at all. it could be the Mario practices that ruined Oregons health and ours. it could be the SnC coach.
Correct. I mentioned that above. It's a concern that I'd hope the exercise science guy on the staff takes a dive into in the offseason.

The team is equipped with a lot of recovery feedback (Whoop and another program). Internally, they have some good data.

Are you referring to the same McCormick who broke his leg before Mario was in charge and the old S&C staff that got in trouble for intense workouts were running things. then some of the the issues came with issues from screws in his leg and multiple surgeries afterward.

But Mario kept him on the roster despite setbacks

Apart from conjecture is this thread...is there actually facts about what they are doing that would cause injuries? Is it a technique they are pushing that leads to the injuries? Honest question

Advertisement
Back