Official Coach Meier Retires

Drad's coaching hires at Clemson werent great. He hired Monte Lee, the young AD who replaced Drad had to fire Lee, and Clemson is very good again in baseball.

He hired a few bad Womans bball coaches, and Neff had to fire Amanda Butler this year and replace her.

He hired Artega for Miami. Im lacking faith Drad will hire a great replacement for Katie M and Jim L when he retires.

Advertisement
Bring back Ferne "The Body" Labati! She's rested and ready!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop the clock...
1711044907000.png

Drad's coaching hires at Clemson werent great. He hired Monte Lee, the young AD who replaced Drad had to fire Lee, and Clemson is very good again in baseball.

He hired a few bad Womans bball coaches, and Neff had to fire Amanda Butler this year and replace her.

He hired Artega for Miami. Im lacking faith Drad will hire a great replacement for Katie M and Jim L when he retires.
I still believe the Arteaga thing was orchestrated by the university power brokers but he still signed off on it so I'm in wait and see mode.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying Monte Lee was a bad hire? Did he do something off the field?

Made the tourney his first 4 years, Covid hit when they were rolling and seemed to give them a hangover into 2021. Then in 2023 with a ton of really good freshman had it trending back in the right direction, last years roster was mostly those guys and they won 40+ games again.

Fascinated to see how Rad runs the search. It's obviously nowhere near the level of a football/baseball hire but his process of replacing a legendary coach may provide some clues around how he'd approach a similar hire when Coach L decides to hang it up.
rad has never been a good AD in terms of coaching hires. he sucked at clemson too.

Advertisement
Why do people keep saying Monte Lee was a bad hire? Did he do something off the field?

Made the tourney his first 4 years, Covid hit when they were rolling and seemed to give them a hangover into 2021. Then in 2023 with a ton of really good freshman had it trending back in the right direction, last years roster was mostly those guys and they won 40+ games again.
Lee was a terrific assistant at South Carolina. He does an excellent job at the College of Charleston getting them to a Super Regional twice. And as you said then Clemson qualifies for 4 straight NCAA regionals. Gets canned after fielding a young team. That team next year wins the ACC. Goes back to South Carolina as an assistant and they get to the Super Regional. Good baseball man with a lot of success.

I still believe the Arteaga thing was orchestrated by the university power brokers but he still signed off on it so I'm in wait and see mode.
I think it was the money people that made that move. I don't think there will be money people in the way of this hire. If Miami can't get a top end coach, don't be shocked if Fitzroy Anthony is secondary option. Well thought of young assistant, will keep the band together, and with Katie still around the program, he will have some help if he so needs it. I also don't think our money people will do what needs to be done to get a top end name, and that's throw down legit money. Katie made good money, but if you want to beat out schools like Kentucky for a coach, you need to do better.

Advertisement

He was 45-51 in ACC play his last 4 years. He started strong, then the thing was headed downfill for a few years. Clemson baseball has long been the #2 sport at the school. Longtime successful baseball program, and losing record in ACC play over mulitple years IS NOT tolerated. They expect to be hosts, and the last 2 years they didn't make the NCAA tournament. Huge no no for a Clemson HC. They will tolerate a #2 seed in the tournament some, but they will not tolerate not making the tournament very long.

They put pressure to move on from Jack Leggett after he went to the NCAA tournament 20 times out of 21 seasons. He had 11 Super Regionals, and 6 CWS appearances. So yes Monte was going to get another season after the downward trend started there.

Last edited:
The program was developed to a point by her where we should have no problem finding a qualified replacement.

I thought the same for mens after last seasons magical run but am not so sure that’s the case after this year and the current Louisville like rebuild we have on our hands
No Louisville is a train wreck and has been one since they fired Pitino and Jurich

No Louisville is a train wreck and has been one since they fired Pitino and Jurich
We just lost 11 straight games to end a season and are looking like we’re going to need to replace an entire roster worth of players. If next season goes south we’re looking at identical situations.

Don't use logic, we can't have that here.

Yes, this season was beyond frustrating, and there will be some roster attrition(Which is the case with **** near every program), but to tie us to Louisville, where they just made literally the worst coaching hire they've had in the last CENTURY and that was coming off a far reaching scandal that forced out Pitino and Jurich and another hire that ultimately didn't work out. Miami has a top end recruiting class coming in, will likely return some key pieces from this year's team, and is already firmly in the hunt for some upgrades in the portal. It's unlikely Miami sinks to that level, especially seeing that Coach L is a HOF quality coach, compared to what Louisville has had lately.

Advertisement
We just lost 11 straight games to end a season and are looking like we’re going to need to replace an entire roster worth of players. If next season goes south we’re looking at identical situations.
UM came off a final 8 and 4 ; Louisville fans we crawl over broken glass to be coming off those seasons

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back