Brad Kaaya, Oh Sweet Lord, Brad Kaaya

Advertisement
Scary thing is I believe he has barely scratched the surface of his physical ability. I can't wait to see him go through his first off-season strength and conditioning program...

The guy averaged a 5.51 40 yard dash in camp. Don't pretend he is something he's not.

I didn't realize I said he would be RG3 or Cam Newton...

Yeah, I think K9 is talking more about him adding some muscle, increasing his arm strength, etc.

He can pack on some lower body strength, get that core training going, just become a more explosive athlete over all and work on his mechanics and all that good **** to increase his velocity and make himself harder to bring down, and much more durable.

I'm not expecting him to show up looking like a VT Mike Vick, but the extra time in the weight room will still help his game, even if he is a statue.

Exactly, I think we'll see more zip on his intermediate passes next season and it was reported he lost like 20-some-odd pounds in a short time at UM. He'll never be Usain Bolt out there...

Fair enough. I knew you weren't suggesting he'd be RG3/Mike Vick, but I thought you were suggesting mobility would become part of his skill set. My fault for misunderstanding.

The guy averaged a 5.51 40 yard dash in camp. Don't pretend he is something he's not.

I didn't realize I said he would be RG3 or Cam Newton...

Yeah, I think K9 is talking more about him adding some muscle, increasing his arm strength, etc.

He can pack on some lower body strength, get that core training going, just become a more explosive athlete over all and work on his mechanics and all that good **** to increase his velocity and make himself harder to bring down, and much more durable.

I'm not expecting him to show up looking like a VT Mike Vick, but the extra time in the weight room will still help his game, even if he is a statue.

Exactly, I think we'll see more zip on his intermediate passes next season and it was reported he lost like 20-some-odd pounds in a short time at UM. He'll never be Usain Bolt out there...

Fair enough. I knew you weren't suggesting he'd be RG3/Mike Vick, but I thought you were suggesting mobility would become part of his skill set. My fault for misunderstanding.

Muffin, the thing is, one of the most impressive facets of Kaaya's game already is his pocket presence. He moves around very well inside the pocket with subtle moves( I think he displayed that last night in staying away from sacks). But yeah, he'll never be a Colin Kaepernick-type, which is just fine given UM's style of offense. But with that being said, I didn't understand the read-options plays last night given that Kaaya is no threat to actually run the ball

Exactly. He needed to hit duke quick with that throw so he had time to set up the db to score. If he waits duke probably gets tackled. Now not trying to be overly critical but I wasn't in love with the 3 rd down throw to duke in the first. I know it worked therefore it looks great but to me that was a chuck and duck, that duke made a great adjustment and catch. Those are the what the **** are you thinking, YES type plays. Very low percentage and against a team say like FSU with good athletes can pick off for a td if u are a little off. Sometimes a sack is a good play. He has done the same thing a few other times and the ball just landed in no mans land. Just an observation

Sometimes, the QB needs to make a play

Very insightful. If that throw ended in a pick 6, would your response have been well sometimes a qb has to try and make a play. I liken it to basketball, when that ****ty shooter decides to launch a horrible three when u r losing late. Everyone is like NNNNNOOOOO. Then it goes in and the coach is like just how I drew it up.

1) The proper analogy would be the above average shooter (Kaaya. We aren't talking about Spencer Whipple at QB here.) who launches a contested 3 AT THE END OF THE SHOT CLOCK (It's sack or try to get the ball out there and convert on 3rd down)

2) Sometimes really good players have to simply make a play. He had a great matchup in Duke on a Defensive End and if a defensive end is on Duke, I want him to make that throw every time. He put it in a place where Duke gets it or nobody else. Kid made a play.

Fair enough. Just think our judgement is clouded cause it worked. Could be nitpicking but I recall plays against lville, neb and arky st where the ball fluddered to nobody and just hit the ground in the field of play. I commented on those when they occured then too. Glad it worked, just think it is dangerous. Slot of variables in play when u are getting hit like that. A millisecond of a difference and that ball might fallen 5 yards shorter into the des hands.

I know the ones your talking about and they were a worry. I think there is a difference tho. In the first few weeks these were plays where Brad was trying to throw the ball away and not take a sack. He looked a little rushed and panicky with those throws. He knew he wanted to throw the ball away but didn't have the strength to throw the ball out of bounds completely as he was getting hit.

against VT, he saw the matchup he liked, read the D and made the play...big difference in maturity and experience, which is why people are up and about in regards to a true freshman QB

I've been super impressed with Kaaya so far and have enjoyed watching him progress. I'm excited to see how he handles the pressure he will surely get against FSU in 3 weeks.

I'm thinking he puts up good numbers next week against UNC and hopefully it's enough to keep us in the shoot out that it surely will be.

Advertisement
I was on the " start the fifth year senior camp". Never in my wildest dreams did I think Brad would come so far so fast. A QB that goes trough his progressions, awesome to watch this kid mature.

Advertisement
Just saw the kid at a bar with other players. Was only one not drinking and was putting down water the whole time. Guess he learned from the Olsen experience.

Kaaya's game last night is proof that sometimes stats dont tell the whole story. He played a really good game in the framework of that particular game plan...

Advertisement
That's what happens when you put your DE's on RB's or WR's in coverage.

They get smoked like hand rolled.

Advertisement
If someone that never watched a Miami game this year watched last night, you would have had a hard time convincing them he is a true freshman.

Or convincing them that we're 5-3 despite playing in the ACC Coastal.

Advertisement
Back