4 star DB Ben Edwards has The U in his top 5

Advertisement
Academic reputation stays in people's head a long time. UM has only been in the top 50 for the last 10 years. The other schools on the list have been where they are for decades. Just think about football reputation. We haven't been anywhere near great for more than a decade, but our reputation has carried over and is helping us in recruiting.

In terms of academic reputation, Stanford would be A+, UCLA would be A, UNC would be A-/B+, Miami and OSU would just be B+'s. This is why I am hoping our location and football heritage would provide some advantage. However, if the kid lists these schools, I am not holding my breath.

I agree with everything you're saying, but we have a better academic reputation than that, so does UNC. It's been going on for a little bit longer than 10 years, and down in south Florida a degree from UM is like an A+. I can't say that's necessarily translated up to north Florida yet, but outside of Duke and Emory, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more desirable private school in the southeast.

Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. And if we stretch the "southeast" a bit, then Johns Hopkins and Georgetown, too.

And UVA isn't private, but I'd still argue it's better academically than UM. Remember that just because a degree from UM is "like an A+" in South Florida doesn't mean that it is an "A+" everywhere else.

I can't find anything that confirms that we are in his top 5. Could someone provide a link to something that says we are?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami offered Trinity Christian High School DB Ben Edwards (same school as 4 star DT Ken Norton), 2 weeks ago and are already in his top 5.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

The U is the only school from Florida and his parents do not want him far away from home. He said Stanford & UCLA are in the lead now but Miami being in Florida could change things quickly.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the common denominator of this list is good academics. We are not at the same level as Stanford or UCLA. Hopefully location does make a difference.

Seriously? and O$U is?

In the US News and World Report Rankings, we are #47 and OSU is #52. Not as big a difference as you would think. (Source)

Meanwhile, Stanford is #5, UCLA is #23, and UNC is #30. While these rankings aren't gospel, I would say there are three tiers in the schools he is looking at -- Stanford in a league of its own, UCLA and UNC, then us and OSU. It looks like academics is something he cares about, and thankfully we are good enough to be in the mix. Houtxcane is just saying that he hopes academic prestige does not override other possible advantages UM has, like location.

Hopefully he loves Shark Week and wants to major in marine biology.

Shades of Sean....Hope he can see the "U" as his future....Absolutely the kind of player to instill that "We Bad" attitude in the rest of team..

Advertisement
Go to rivals.com. Go to Miami's main page, and there will be a picture of him with the title of us being in the top 5. I'm not a member of their website, so I can't see anything further, unfortunately.

Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian High School DB*Ben Edwards*lists 40 scholarship offers - a recent one was from Miami.

"I got that two weeks ago," Edwards said.

He says he's "a little bit" surprised the Canes didn't offer earlier.

But he quickly put UM into his top five along with UCLA, Stanford, Ohio State and North Carolina.

"I got the Miami offer in the mail saying it was official," Edwards said. "I've talked with coach (Al) Golden - he said he needs safeties, how I'd be a good fit."

Edwards says he plans to visit UM for a game this season.

He says UCLA and Stanford are slight frontrunners right now "because they're coming at me hard and they need my position."

But he also says with the Canes in Florida that's "a little bit" of an advantage for Miami.

"My family doesn't want me to go far away," Edwards said.

So far he's taken one visit this summer, to North Carolina.

"I'm not sure when I'll make a decision, it could be early December," Edwards said.

He says what he wants in a college is "me being comfortable, my parents being comfortable with me going, my relationship with the coaches, the atmosphere, a good education."

Edwards says of the Hurricanes that "I know they're a good academic school, have a very good football tradition, win a lot of games."

Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian High School DB*Ben Edwards*lists 40 scholarship offers - a recent one was from Miami.

"I got that two weeks ago," Edwards said.

He says he's "a little bit" surprised the Canes didn't offer earlier.

But he quickly put UM into his top five along with UCLA, Stanford, Ohio State and North Carolina.

"I got the Miami offer in the mail saying it was official," Edwards said. "I've talked with coach (Al) Golden - he said he needs safeties, how I'd be a good fit."

Edwards says he plans to visit UM for a game this season.

He says UCLA and Stanford are slight frontrunners right now "because they're coming at me hard and they need my position."

But he also says with the Canes in Florida that's "a little bit" of an advantage for Miami.

"My family doesn't want me to go far away," Edwards said.

So far he's taken one visit this summer, to North Carolina.

"I'm not sure when I'll make a decision, it could be early December," Edwards said.

He says what he wants in a college is "me being comfortable, my parents being comfortable with me going, my relationship with the coaches, the atmosphere, a good education."

Edwards says of the Hurricanes that "I know they're a good academic school, have a very good football tradition, win a lot of games."
Seems like if we win the parents over we get this savage

Advertisement
Miami offered Trinity Christian High School DB Ben Edwards (same school as 4 star DT Ken Norton), 2 weeks ago and are already in his top 5.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

The U is the only school from Florida and his parents do not want him far away from home. He said Stanford & UCLA are in the lead now but Miami being in Florida could change things quickly.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the common denominator of this list is good academics. We are not at the same level as Stanford or UCLA. Hopefully location does make a difference.

Seriously? and O$U is?

In the US News and World Report Rankings, we are #47 and OSU is #52. Not as big a difference as you would think. (Source)

Meanwhile, Stanford is #5, UCLA is #23, and UNC is #30. While these rankings aren't gospel, I would say there are three tiers in the schools he is looking at -- Stanford in a league of its own, UCLA and UNC, then us and OSU. It looks like academics is something he cares about, and thankfully we are good enough to be in the mix. Houtxcane is just saying that he hopes academic prestige does not override other possible advantages UM has, like location.

Just a few years ago we were top 40 as well. I'll agree that Stanford is in a league of it's own, but I'd put us in the same class as UCLA and UNC. We are not in the same tier as Ohio State. That's just silly.

Unfortunately your perception is pretty much exclusive to south florida, and the miami fans/alumni boosters outside that area. We like to pump miami academics as miami fans, but for the general populace our name is synonymous with football and south beach, despite shalalas best efforts. The reality is, miami is at best a 3rd tier school, which means it is pretty much a wash with any school between about 35 and 80 in the rankings (again, to a non resident/alumni or fan of the U).

And that is if you go by US News rankings, which is by far the most kind to miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
LULZ at anyone giving UNC props for academics. Have you had your head buried in the sand the last 3 years?

Advertisement
thats who u want patrolling the deep middle with Carter. **** i dont wanna go to the hospital

Advertisement
Back