4 star DB Ben Edwards has The U in his top 5

Miami offered Trinity Christian High School DB Ben Edwards (same school as 4 star DT Ken Norton), 2 weeks ago and are already in his top 5.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

The U is the only school from Florida and his parents do not want him far away from home. He said Stanford & UCLA are in the lead now but Miami being in Florida could change things quickly.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the common denominator of this list is good academics. We are not at the same level as Stanford or UCLA. Hopefully location does make a difference.

Seriously? and O$U is?

In the US News and World Report Rankings, we are #47 and OSU is #52. Not as big a difference as you would think. (Source)

Meanwhile, Stanford is #5, UCLA is #23, and UNC is #30. While these rankings aren't gospel, I would say there are three tiers in the schools he is looking at -- Stanford in a league of its own, UCLA and UNC, then us and OSU. It looks like academics is something he cares about, and thankfully we are good enough to be in the mix. Houtxcane is just saying that he hopes academic prestige does not override other possible advantages UM has, like location.

Good work man! Maybe that's why he already decommitted from OSU and Auburn (according to his profile in CiS).

Advertisement
Miami offered Trinity Christian High School DB Ben Edwards (same school as 4 star DT Ken Norton), 2 weeks ago and are already in his top 5.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

The U is the only school from Florida and his parents do not want him far away from home. He said Stanford & UCLA are in the lead now but Miami being in Florida could change things quickly.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but the common denominator of this list is good academics. We are not at the same level as Stanford or UCLA. Hopefully location does make a difference.

Ohio State is on the list.

Stanford and Miami are pretty similar as far as both being private institutions with strong focus on academics. Although Stanford is far superior, they don't have anywhere near the historic prestige our football program does.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

Seriously? and O$U is?

In the US News and World Report Rankings, we are #47 and OSU is #52. Not as big a difference as you would think. (Source)

Meanwhile, Stanford is #5, UCLA is #23, and UNC is #30. While these rankings aren't gospel, I would say there are three tiers in the schools he is looking at -- Stanford in a league of its own, UCLA and UNC, then us and OSU. It looks like academics is something he cares about, and thankfully we are good enough to be in the mix. Houtxcane is just saying that he hopes academic prestige does not override other possible advantages UM has, like location.

Just a few years ago we were top 40 as well. I'll agree that Stanford is in a league of it's own, but I'd put us in the same class as UCLA and UNC. We are not in the same tier as Ohio State. That's just silly.

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

Seriously? and O$U is?

Yes, seriously. I hate them as much as anybody. But let's be objective here. Link below.

http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/oregon-state-university-3210/bachelors

Advertisement

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

Seriously? and O$U is?

Just a few years ago we were top 40 as well. I'll agree that Stanford is in a league of it's own, but I'd put us in the same class as UCLA and UNC. We are not in the same tier as Ohio State. That's just silly.

Academic reputation stays in people's head a long time. UM has only been in the top 50 for the last 10 years. The other schools on the list have been where they are for decades. Just think about football reputation. We haven't been anywhere near great for more than a decade, but our reputation has carried over and is helping us in recruiting.

In terms of academic reputation, Stanford would be A+, UCLA would be A, UNC would be A-/B+, Miami and OSU would just be B+'s. This is why I am hoping our location and football heritage would provide some advantage. However, if the kid lists these schools, I am not holding my breath.

Advertisement
What's his measurements think he could convert to LB or a hybrid role of lb/S him and Cedric Wright tandem would be wicked

Academic reputation stays in people's head a long time. UM has only been in the top 50 for the last 10 years. The other schools on the list have been where they are for decades. Just think about football reputation. We haven't been anywhere near great for more than a decade, but our reputation has carried over and is helping us in recruiting.

In terms of academic reputation, Stanford would be A+, UCLA would be A, UNC would be A-/B+, Miami and OSU would just be B+'s. This is why I am hoping our location and football heritage would provide some advantage. However, if the kid lists these schools, I am not holding my breath.

I agree with everything you're saying, but we have a better academic reputation than that, so does UNC. It's been going on for a little bit longer than 10 years, and down in south Florida a degree from UM is like an A+. I can't say that's necessarily translated up to north Florida yet, but outside of Duke and Emory, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more desirable private school in the southeast.

Advertisement

Top 5 in no order
The U
Stanford
UCLA
North Carolina
Ohio State

His parents really want him close to home. I think that along with the possibility of adding his teammate Norton could be the tipping point here.

Trinity Christian football players rivals rankings
image.jpg

Advertisement
Not even close. UCLA is in a different tier. Most of the undergraduate and graduate (at least medical) schools in California are better than Miami.

Advertisement
Back