Portal 24-25 transfers (Basketball)

Advertisement

“[Irving] just said they need a guard and I was the first one on their recruiting list and they’re taking this process a little slow to make sure they have the right pieces,” Dinkins said. “They really love my game and think I’ll be a great fit for what they have.”

“[Irving] just said they need a guard and I was the first one on their recruiting list and they’re taking this process a little slow to make sure they have the right pieces,” Dinkins said. “They really love my game and think I’ll be a great fit for what they have.”
Yeah I didn’t love the “they’re taking the process a little slow” line but could be meaningless.

Obviously Luke was quoting the kid but I took that as the staff is casting a wide net and recruiting a number of players, but they also have to be prudent as far as the build itself to ensure that the pieces mesh together. We literally just saw a team with a good amount of talent fall apart given the lack of cohesion.

Back to Dinkins, there's obviously the Philly connection there with Irving being from Chester so not surprised we are on him fairly hard. This is a kid I take regardless of Pack's decision.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sure, but the "make sure they have the right pieces" part is exactly what I want to hear
For sure, not disagreeing at all on that. But I do think there needs to be a sense of urgency given the number of bodies we need, and more high level programs will be on the hunt the later we get into the tournament. I’m not saying take anyone who wants in, but much like was being discussed with the QB situation, I think you need to set the baseline for what you’ll take, trust your evals, and if your 1b wants in while 1a is still waffling I think you have to make that move, as long as they’re in the same ballpark.

Ward was, imo, head and shoulders above the rest so I was on board waiting on that one, so if a guy like that is out there it’s a different conversation.

For sure, not disagreeing at all on that. But I do think there needs to be a sense of urgency given the number of bodies we need, and more high level programs will be on the hunt the later we get into the tournament. I’m not saying take anyone who wants in, but much like was being discussed with the QB situation, I think you need to set the baseline for what you’ll take, trust your evals, and if your 1b wants in while 1a is still waffling I think you have to make that move, as long as they’re in the same ballpark.

Ward was, imo, head and shoulders above the rest so I was on board waiting on that one, so if a guy like that is out there it’s a different conversation.
They're reaching out to a ton of guys and getting kids onto campus for visits. Don't know how much more urgency you can have than that. The thing is, there are currently upwards of 500 players have entered the portal and just 8 (<2%) that have committed to schools. Between teams still playing and top-level guys having their pick of offers, processes may tend to drag out a bit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Their games are similar, so I'd imagine we will show interest given the GMU connection. Hall appears to be more physically developed than Jordan was when he transferred.
Agreed. Just basing this off the stats as I’m not deep diving unless there’s mention of contact being made, but it doesn’t seem like he’d be the facilitator or defender Jordan was, which obviously we sorely missed this season.

Agreed. Just basing this off the stats as I’m not deep diving unless there’s mention of contact being made, but it doesn’t seem like he’d be the facilitator or defender Jordan was, which obviously we sorely missed this season.
Agreed, Jordan was a connector for sure and less of a go-to scorer. This kid would be more of a focal point/higher usage.

Advertisement
Back