Portal 24-25 transfers (Basketball)

Advertisement
Luke Chaney from 247 believes there’s a world they play Johnson with Norchad and Kidd. That’s a really big lineup if Johnson is playing the 3, not to mention Bethea is pushing 6’5

I can't see all 3 playing together, but would be nice to have great flexibility with the 3 of them as our 4 and 5.

Luke Chaney from 247 believes there’s a world they play Johnson with Norchad and Kidd. That’s a really big lineup if Johnson is playing the 3, not to mention Bethea is pushing 6’5
I have to imagine if you somehow get all 3 you’d try to stagger as much as possible to have two on the court at all times. That would give you 3 completely different front court looks based on opponent lineup.

Johnson at the 3 would concern me defensively, I’d almost think if you had all 3 on the court together you’d try to cross match Omier onto 3s defensively, I think he may have better lateral quickness than Johnson. I’d be interested how L would play it

I have to imagine if you somehow get all 3 you’d try to stagger as much as possible to have two on the court at all times. That would give you 3 completely different front court looks based on opponent lineup.

Johnson at the 3 would concern me defensively, I’d almost think if you had all 3 on the court together you’d try to cross match Omier onto 3s defensively, I think he may have better lateral quickness than Johnson. I’d be interested how L would play it
Yea I'm also concerned with athleticism there as well. Johnson is really more of a modern day 4 so I'm struggling to see the fit, assuming Omier comes back. That said, we should be recruiting the portal with the mindset that no one with outstanding decisions to be made are coming back

Advertisement
Me too. A 4 star from the vaunted DeMatha program. How could he miss?

Then we saw his flat-line jump shot and it became all too obvious.
Yeah, it’s too bad. Still can’t shoot it, but at a quick glance it seems like Bryant put him in sort of the Jordan Miller role and he seemed to thrive there. Lot of facilitating, and tons of post ups. Actually had a triple double this year.

Unless this is a bench piece I'm not seeing it. 28% from 3 is horrendous
Also a negative AST:TO, athleticism doesn’t jump off the screen, and his jumper is so ugly I don’t know that I can make it through a full game lol

Advertisement
Also a negative AST:TO, athleticism doesn’t jump off the screen, and his jumper is so ugly I don’t know that I can make it through a full game lol
I also don't put a lot of stock into contact versus a player like Brandon Johnson who is actually visiting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Believe there is/was mutual interest but not sure how Pack coming back affects that since he wouldn't be starting
Yeah that was where I started thinking maybe it’s not a fit. I do wonder, assuming Omier is back and we’re going double big, if we could get away with running more 3 guard lineups with Pack, Bethea, and Dinkins. Bethea has some height and length to him, he’s thinner but probably about the same height and wingspan as Wooga, and Dinkins isn’t exactly small.

Just a thought. If we’re going to go double bigs we, imo, need to space out as much as possible with the perimeter players, and the defensive negative may be a little alleviated if you’re funneling into two bigs anyway. Just my off the cuff thought. We wouldn’t really be any smaller than say, NC State this year.

Yeah that was where I started thinking maybe it’s not a fit. I do wonder, assuming Omier is back and we’re going double big, if we could get away with running more 3 guard lineups with Pack, Bethea, and Dinkins. Bethea has some height and length to him, he’s thinner but probably about the same height and wingspan as Wooga, and Dinkins isn’t exactly small.

Just a thought. If we’re going to go double bigs we, imo, need to space out as much as possible with the perimeter players, and the defensive negative may be a little alleviated if you’re funneling into two bigs anyway. Just my off the cuff thought. We wouldn’t really be any smaller than say, NC State this year.
I think we'd be paying Bethea a disservice having him size up and defend 3's

Advertisement
Back