2024 Miami Pro Day. 3/18

Sam Shields is the 1st player that comes to mind for me. DJ Ivey, before the injury, was a guy who was completely ridiculed here (by me, as well), and was having a solid, SOLID start to his rookie year. Dee Delaney is another guy who was supposed to be the man as a transfer here, came over w/ a 4th round grade from The Citadel, became undraftable here, & has had a solid NFL career w/ the Bucs.
DJ ******* Ivey would fit the bill well if he recovers and continues what he started.

I really do hope he recovers and has a long meaningful career in the league.

Advertisement
Sam Shields is the 1st player that comes to mind for me. DJ Ivey, before the injury, was a guy who was completely ridiculed here (by me, as well), and was having a solid, SOLID start to his rookie year. Dee Delaney is another guy who was supposed to be the man as a transfer here, came over w/ a 4th round grade from The Citadel, became undraftable here, & has had a solid NFL career w/ the Bucs.

Not quite the same. But Mike Jackson had that great junior year where everyone thought he'd be a top draft rounder, then had a quiet final year and I think a lot of guys didn't expect him to stick and play well.

I disagree with that pick. He didn’t fail at Miami, he simply wasn’t ever the featured back but got a decent amount of touches while here. We definitely could have probably used him in 2017 (the year he transferred). But would you have had him be the featured back over Duke Johnson, Walton, Yearby, or even Homer?

I could be missing someone but I can’t think of anyone that failed at Miami but is in the NFL with a solid career.

There are guys that were ok to solid and played in the NFL but we have been so devoid of NFL talent that there isn’t a lot of examples of guys that failed here but succeeded in the NFL within the past decade or so. There could be more in you go back 2 decades though.

Sam Shields would be a decent example. He had a couple of pro bowl seasons and a pretty decent career as a DB.

Advertisement
Nah bruh; several have said coaching & development is overused & overrated. Smh
It is to a large degree. Miami’s problem has been the lack of top end talent, but it’s also been not putting the few guys who had that talent, in a place to succeed. Bad systems and surrounded by scrubs.

No D ruined good D line talent. Manny’s scheme was boom or bust and left back end guys hanging. Lack of top end DB talent for years has led to guys getting left on islands who weren’t capable of holding up out there.

Saban is the greatest coach of all time. But he didn’t turn PS2 into a first rounder. The guy was already one. And you could say that about 90% of his draft picks. Same with Kirby. When top guys play with top guys, in a sound system, it makes them all better. Nobody is out here taking flyers on raw kids and turning them into superstars every single year. You recruit elite guys and tweak their technique, and teach them to watch film.

Advertisement
still cant believe Kam Kinchens agent did himt hat huge disservice of having him run at the combine.

He had to have been testing "regular" to mid the whole off szn i wouldve had him **** down from running the 40 maybe do the interviews and some field drills or something else.. They had a chance to solidify him in the top 2 rounds and screwed it.

still cant believe Kam Kinchens agent did himt hat huge disservice of having him run at the combine.

He had to have been testing "regular" to mid the whole off szn i wouldve had him **** down from running the 40 maybe do the interviews and some field drills or something else.. They had a chance to solidify him in the top 2 rounds and screwed it.
Name a more iconic duo than Miami and bad agents.

Advertisement

"Tight hamstring" or something. Come up with some kind of excuse to not have your client run a high 4.6 at the combine as a safety.

Truly a fireable offense. Even if Kam was **** bent on running.

Advertisement
The standard is to add .05 to hand timed/pro day 40 times.

So Kam's 4.57 Pro Day would be a 4.62 adjusted which is only a small improvement over his 4.65 Combine 40.

His pro day helped - but probably just a little bit.

Kam is just a flat out "pop in the tape" kid. Hes not a workout warrior. He had some mental lapses but he's shown enough to warrant Day 1 consideration.

The rest..I really cant tell..Its anyones guess. The NFL draft is so weird after you get past the top 10 picks. Erick Flowers is a perfect example of a guy we had no idea would be picked so high. What was he...#8 overall?? I cant remember. So you just never really know these days. NFL Scouts and front offices really just dont tip their hand anymore to the draft expert type. Mel Kiper probably has no sources anymore.

Kam is just a flat out "pop in the tape" kid. Hes not a workout warrior. He had some mental lapses but he's shown enough to warrant Day 1 consideration.

The rest..I really cant tell..Its anyones guess. The NFL draft is so weird after you get past the top 10 picks. Erick Flowers is a perfect example of a guy we had no idea would be picked so high. What was he...#8 overall?? I cant remember. So you just never really know these days. NFL Scouts and front offices really just dont tip their hand anymore to the draft expert type. Mel Kiper probably has no sources anymore.
I mean Flowers isn't the best example. He was a young, versatile dude at a premium position. If you hit on that pick, you are set for a decade

Advertisement
Back