2024 Miami Pro Day. 3/18

Advertisement
Most recent? Maybe Gus Edwards?
I disagree with that pick. He didn’t fail at Miami, he simply wasn’t ever the featured back but got a decent amount of touches while here. We definitely could have probably used him in 2017 (the year he transferred). But would you have had him be the featured back over Duke Johnson, Walton, Yearby, or even Homer?

I could be missing someone but I can’t think of anyone that failed at Miami but is in the NFL with a solid career.

There are guys that were ok to solid and played in the NFL but we have been so devoid of NFL talent that there isn’t a lot of examples of guys that failed here but succeeded in the NFL within the past decade or so. There could be more in you go back 2 decades though.

Gus didn’t fail here. He was never the starter and transferred to Rutgers so he could start
I knew someone was going to say this so I hesitated even putting it out there but you consider a failure only someone who started here, was not good, then went on to the NFL? If that is the definition of failing then I agree.

To me, I also see a failure as someone who cannot crack the starting lineup then goes on to the NFL or elsewhere and succeeds. (For the record I like Gus and thought he should have got more touches but the RB I see today on Sundays is NOT the RB Miami had which bolsters the argument it was development or coaching, remember all the look like tarzan run like jane jokes? He did run way too high, even at Rutgers but has now become a short yardage ace in the NFL)

We had gus for 4 years right? So you were counting on his fifth year to be a breakout year? So someone that came here, never started (assumingly because they were failing and could not break into the rotation) but then transfers for one year and is on his second contract in the NFL does not count?

I disagree with that pick. He didn’t fail at Miami, he simply wasn’t ever the featured back but got a decent amount of touches while here. We definitely could have probably used him in 2017 (the year he transferred). But would you have had him be the featured back over Duke Johnson, Walton, Yearby, or even Homer?

I could be missing someone but I can’t think of anyone that failed at Miami but is in the NFL with a solid career.

There are guys that were ok to solid and played in the NFL but we have been so devoid of NFL talent that there isn’t a lot of examples of guys that failed here but succeeded in the NFL within the past decade or so. There could be more in you go back 2 decades though.
See my response above, I just had a different definition of failed. When you have a RB for 4 seasons and he cannot break into a starter role yet is a starter in the NFL, to me that is failed.

If the crux is you have to be a starter, and suck, and then go on to the NFL and have a solid career, then no I dont think we have anyone on that list.

See my response above, I just had a different definition of failed. When you have a RB for 4 seasons and he cannot break into a starter role yet is a starter in the NFL, to me that is failed.

If the crux is you have to be a starter, and suck, and then go on to the NFL and have a solid career, then no I dont think we have anyone on that list.
That’s fiar we just have different definitions of “failed”

Ultimately even including Gus there aren’t a lot of examples because the talent and development here have been lacking to put it nicely.

Advertisement
Hand times and electronic times are two different things
Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
I find it hard to believe that HS camps like UA can set up electronic times but schools can't during pro days.

Clearly, they stick to hand times at pro days to inflate the numbers and make their guys look better.

I was under the impression that pro days DO have electronic timing set up and have for years.

Sam Shields is the 1st player that comes to mind for me. DJ Ivey, before the injury, was a guy who was completely ridiculed here (by me, as well), and was having a solid, SOLID start to his rookie year. Dee Delaney is another guy who was supposed to be the man as a transfer here, came over w/ a 4th round grade from The Citadel, became undraftable here, & has had a solid NFL career w/ the Bucs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sam Shields is the 1st player that comes to mind for me. DJ Ivey, before the injury, was a guy who was completely ridiculed here (by me, as well), and was having a solid, SOLID start to his rookie year. Dee Delaney is another guy who was supposed to be the man as a transfer here, came over w/ a 4th round grade from The Citadel, became undraftable here, & has had a solid NFL career w/ the Bucs.
Delaney is still in the league from what I remember.

Advertisement
Back