Official ***2022 CIS END OF YEAR AWARDS PRESENTS: That wrasslin cat who knowz Butch Davis is a football gawd!!! Thread Derailer if the Year Award

Who is the biggest thread derailer?

• SWFLHurricane

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Crossover22[]_[]

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Cribby

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • TheOriginalCane

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Go Canes!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Da Jumbo Mutombo

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smoking a brisket is like doing heroin, your first brisket will be your best one and you’ll spend the rest of your life trying to make one that good again.

@Baba Yaga can attest to this.
Nah my man! You're first brisket is never your best unless you go someone like Aaron Franklin holding your hand in person the whole way through telling you exactly what to do, when to do it. Smoking brisket is more like ***, your first few times you think you may be good but it's not until you really nail it from experience that it gets good.

Aren't I right @Baba Yaga ??

Advertisement
Nah my man! You're first brisket is never your best unless you go someone like Aaron Franklin holding your hand in person the whole way through telling you exactly what to do, when to do it. Smoking brisket is more like ***, your first few times you think you may be good but it's not until you really nail it from experience that it gets good.

In all honesty it’s a lot of experimenting. My first brisket was amazing, second was dry as ****. Then they’ve all been getting better from there, just little changes here and there to see what optimizes it’d now I have it locked in to a science, the only problem is that it’s an expensive and timely experiment lol

Nope. You wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a taste test. No fuel taste because it’s simply just wood, just be willing to spend a bit on good quality pellets.

I always buy bear mountain pellets
I used to always buy Lumberjack but I heard they got bought out by another company and are hard to find now, but learned they make pellets for Cabella's so that's what I've started using. $10/bag.

Smoking a brisket is like doing heroin, your first brisket will be your best one and you’ll spend the rest of your life trying to make one that good again.

@Baba Yaga can attest to this.

Buy the Franklin books.

Spent a couple of hours in line (before the UM-LSU game) talking with the couple in front of us about their brisket techniques.

You can definitely make some brisket improvements and get back to that "first one" (and beyond). My brother and I make a few at least once a year and then vacuum seal the leftovers IN THE JUICE and use the rest throughout the year for tacos, nachos, chili, etc.

Advertisement
In all honesty it’s a lot of experimenting. My first brisket was amazing, second was dry as ****. Then they’ve all been getting better from there, just little changes here and there to see what optimizes it’d now I have it locked in to a science, the only problem is that it’s an expensive and timely experiment lol
Lol that’s my point. Your first may have been excellent but it was by accident, you got ****y and your second one sucked.

It’s like having a great short game in golf you may be able to hit a great chip on your first attempt but that doesn’t mean you have the necessary “feel” to have a great short game.

Both a great short game and brisket take time and practice to be good at 🤣

Buy the Franklin books.

Spent a couple of hours in line (before the UM-LSU game) talking with the couple in front of us about their brisket techniques.

You can definitely make some brisket improvements and get back to that "first one" (and beyond). My brother and I make a few at least once a year and then vacuum seal the leftovers IN THE JUICE and use the rest throughout the year for tacos, nachos, chili, etc.

I’ll definitely check out the Franklin books. Appreciate the reference

My first brisket was pretty solid, but by far not my best. Second was disappointing. I watched tons of YT vids on trimming and tried different techniques until I found a method that works for me and produces pretty consistent results that I'm happy with.

But as you guys know, each brisket is different so no two cooks are ever really the same.

Advertisement
My first brisket was pretty solid, but by far not my best. Second was disappointing. I watched tons of YT vids on trimming and tried different techniques until I found a method that works for me and produces pretty consistent results that I'm happy with.

But as you guys know, each brisket is different so no two cooks are ever really the same.
That’s why I used golf in my second analogy. It’s all about the individual brisket and environment similar to how most chip and pitches are not the same and all great ones are done through feeling

I’ll definitely check out the Franklin books. Appreciate the reference

Couple things.

One, definitely try to get the best quality brisket that you can. My brother raises cattle and has friends who do as well, but there's also a couple of great butcher shops around Orlando (and I'm sure in other cities too).

Second, definitely do the research on injections and other methods to maintain moisture.

Finally, and this is something we debated in line at Franklin, we believe that Aaron Franklin cooks with the fat side down, allowing the brisket to stay very moist during cooking, instead of the fat evaporating upward.

All the best!

I've been sous vide'ing my briskets lately..

tumblr_peq3x0AkNv1r5jtugo1_500.gifv

Advertisement

Each brisket comes from a different cow so naturally no 2 will be the same.

Advertisement
Erickson Won 2 NCs with 99% of JJs kids...
When it was his turn to recruit....everything went to sh*t from 92-94....including Lack of Institutional Control. Then left Butch a f-ing mess, as he ran a 4.2 outta Hecht with a pint of Bourbon in his back pocket in Jan of 95...

Don't hold back!

Thursdays - Butch was out of there - evaluating and recruiting for Jimmy. On the road.

Butch found the nuggets - Jimmy decided - and that's how JJ got his guys. And left Erickson loaded.

Later, after Butch came back and recruited the greatest college football team of all time - Clappy was handed the keys - and then commenced ******** the Pooch.

Don't hold back!

Thursdays - Butch was out of there - evaluating and recruiting for Jimmy. On the road.

Butch found the nuggets - Jimmy decided - and that's how JJ got his guys. And left Erickson loaded.

Later, after Butch came back and recruited the greatest college football team of all time - Clappy was handed the keys - and then commenced ******** the Pooch.
I held back because I was engulfing Puerto Rican food again at my go to spot in Ft Myers....Lol....But yes, you are 100% spot on.

Let's see.

Howard S recruited and coached from the ground up for a NAT.
Then Butch recruited for JJ who won a NAT.
JJ's recruits (found by Butch) were fed to Erickson, who won 2 NATS.
Then Butch recruited from the ground up - for Clappy - who won 1 NAT - THE best college team in history.

Yeah. If I knew Butch personally - I'd be mighty proud too - but HERE - SWFLHurricane catches crap.

I think some folks need to be thankful SWFLHurricane wasn't close to Attilla the Hun.

Let's see.

Howard S recruited and coached from the ground up for a NAT.
Then Butch recruited for JJ who won a NAT.
JJ's recruits (found by Butch) were fed to Erickson, who won 2 NATS.
Then Butch recruited from the ground up - for Clappy - who won 1 NAT - THE best college team in history.

Yeah. If I knew Butch personally - I'd be mighty proud too - but HERE - SWFLHurricane catches crap.

I think some folks need to be thankful SWFLHurricane wasn't close to Attilla the Hun.
Surprised Fall Out GIF

Advertisement
Back