Jacolby George needs more targets (video)

Advertisement
Miami had 436 passes last year, and 440 runs.

I see absolutely no scenario on earth, except maybe blowing out multiple teams, where Ward doesn’t get to 450 passes this year. Contrary to popular belief, Coach Dawson likes to throw the football. And now he has a QB he can trust.

Problem is, the pass catching depth is much better this year. Last year, it was as condensed a passing attack as I’ve ever seen for a football team. Restrepo, George, and Young caught 189 passes. The rest of the team combined caught 94.

I expect the distribution to be much bigger this year. X and George are back and should resume their same roles, or close to it. Then Horton and Brown will command targets. The Tight Ends should be much more involved. They caught a combined 18 balls last year. Arroyo will double that by himself. Lofton will get passes. You know we’re gonna try to showcase Jojo and Carr.

So George can be better this year and still have worse numbers. The only guy I know who is getting 100+ targets is Restrepo. IMO George gets somewhere around 70 for the season. That’d be a 15% share, which is likely the ceiling because of the addition of talent here compared to last season.

It’s a good problem to have. Ward is going to be surrounded by more talent than he’s ever seen in his life.

Advertisement
Miami ranked 88th nationally in run/pass ratio. We were one of the more pass-oriented teams in the nation.

It is a complete myth that we were a run-heavy team.

Yup

We had to go that way 2h Clemson, and a few other games…Because we were dead if we didn't with an 18 year old Williams.

People on here hate the Bro ball ****, but against Clemson/FSU it was actually a good decision by CMC.

Last edited:
wait didn’t George and X both rank pretty highly in conference in terms of receptions and yards??

Hard to spoon feed two WRs double digit targets while giving your 3rd WR looks, TEs (Riley &Arroyo), and still have something of a run game with Martinez.

That's a false choice.

Many times over the last 20+ years the players gave in to the noise from fans and media about what they need to do. It's just never worked. The only think it gets us is inexplicably stupid penalties.

The glory days are gone. Any glory left to be had won't come from looking backward.

My back trail is just as important as my front trail. Perspective, especially during the return - nothing looks the same.

Large predators that YOU are tracking - very often double back and start stalking YOU.

False choice? I'm not a philosophy major - I can write in cursive, I can read an analog clock, I have none of this pronoun confusion of the severely retarded, I can tell boys from girls, and I don't get all hung up on specific, limited applications, when I know how to re-purpose.

Being all analytical . . . . is so . . . well - look at the first four letters of analytical.

It's a game. A contest. I've seen some really productive players - but have yet to find a perfect player.

Miami ranked 88th nationally in run/pass ratio. We were one of the more pass-oriented teams in the nation.

It is a complete myth that we were a run-heavy team.

They won’t listen.

Even in a game late in the year, and one that was never really in doubt (Boston College), TVD threw the ball 36 times.

The week before that, against Louisville, he threw it 39 times.

How many FBS QBs averaged 36+ passes per game last year?

13. That’s all.

Dawson likes to throw it. Mario is fine with that. Ward will be trusted infinitely more than TVD or the freshmen were.

The ball will be slung this year. Bet on it.

Advertisement
Miami had 436 passes last year, and 440 runs.

I see absolutely no scenario on earth, except maybe blowing out multiple teams, where Ward doesn’t get to 450 passes this year. Contrary to popular belief, Coach Dawson likes to throw the football. And now he has a QB he can trust.

Problem is, the pass catching depth is much better this year. Last year, it was as condensed a passing attack as I’ve ever seen for a football team. Restrepo, George, and Young caught 189 passes. The rest of the team combined caught 94.

I expect the distribution to be much bigger this year. X and George are back and should resume their same roles, or close to it. Then Horton and Brown will command targets. The Tight Ends should be much more involved. They caught a combined 18 balls last year. Arroyo will double that by himself. Lofton will get passes. You know we’re gonna try to showcase Jojo and Carr.

So George can be better this year and still have worse numbers. The only guy I know who is getting 100+ targets is Restrepo. IMO George gets somewhere around 70 for the season. That’d be a 15% share, which is likely the ceiling because of the addition of talent here compared to last season.

It’s a good problem to have. Ward is going to be surrounded by more talent than he’s ever seen in his life.

THIS!

**** some people really holding a grudge on George for the penalties lol hopefully as a senior he’s matured and will cut that out because he was a great WR

This fanbase can hold a grudge longer than it takes some Presidents to find their way off stage.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hope our team is good enough to where we can stop blaming losses on one penalty or one decision not to kneel.

George has always been a bit of a goon but he was our most explosive offensive player last year by a good margin. He also played his best games against our biggest opponents. IDGAF about some bull**** bowl game with a third string quarterback who couldn’t complete passes and a depleted defense that got run over. I care about making big plays against FSU and Texas A&M

They won’t listen.

Even in a game late in the year, and one that was never really in doubt (Boston College), TVD threw the ball 36 times.

The week before that, against Louisville, he threw it 39 times.

How many FBS QBs averaged 36+ passes per game last year?

13. That’s all.

Dawson likes to throw it. Mario is fine with that. Ward will be trusted infinitely more than TVD or the freshmen were.

The ball will be slung this year. Bet on it.
Preach!

Too many people just ran with the salty Oregon fan narrative that Mario held Herbert/the O back.

Same people will be doing mental gymnastics to try to avoid giving Mario credit for the O's success this year.

Never change CIS.

Advertisement
My back trail is just as important as my front trail. Perspective, especially during the return - nothing looks the same.

Large predators that YOU are tracking - very often double back and start stalking YOU.

False choice? I'm not a philosophy major - I can write in cursive, I can read an analog clock, I have none of this pronoun confusion of the severely retarded, I can tell boys from girls, and I don't get all hung up on specific, limited applications, when I know how to re-purpose.

Being all analytical . . . . is so . . . well - look at the first four letters of analytical.

It's a game. A contest. I've seen some really productive players - but have yet to find a perfect player.
1000000948.gif

Last edited:
Preach!

Too many people just ran with the salty Oregon fan narrative that Mario held Herbert/the O back.

Same people will be doing mental gymnastics to try to avoid giving Mario credit for the O's success this year.

Never change CIS.
💯...that narrative is easily disputed when you actually go watch the games Mario's offensive coordinators called before they worked for Mario and see their offenses pretty much look the same as when they worked for Mario. Too many people confuse different results with different offenses which is why there are actually people who believe our offense "changed" after the A&M game.

Run-pass-ratio is one of these metrics that I kinda get when it comes to explaining football strategy. But it can be easily skewed based on outside factors that can essentially alter your entire football strategy, like a freshman QB starting.

The reality is this: We didn't (and couldn't) use our weapons to maximize our offensive performance. That came down mostly to execution and a bit to strategy. Execution, because our QB wasn't bothered to study, our RBs couldn't break arm tackles in the middle of the field and certain players giving up good field position by committing stupid penalties.

Strategy, because it took us too long to adjust to our QB (happened in the Louisville game), we didn't let our O-Line dominate against lighter packages, we ran too many zone plays instead of power and misdirection and we had gadget players sitting on the bench that could've allowed us more sparks on offense.

I couldn't give a flying flamingo about 15 pass attempts if Martinez runs for 220 yards in a game. Personally, I wouldn't give too much attention on run-pass-ratios.

We have one of the top offensive groups regardless of the position. Ward is self-explanatory, the O-Line is full of talent and proven ability, the wide receivers were already tops in the conference and only got better and the TEs consist of Arroyo, who appears to smell some blood and Williams who appears to have made some jump. Add in freshmen WRs and a jack-of-all-trades in Lofton and this is a very talented group that may be a darkhorse candidate for finishing Top 10 in metrics. We can do it all based on the amount of options we have offensively.

It's just on strategy and discipline to not **** it up (and that's a big question mark with us, I'm sorry).

Advertisement
Back