Ryan Day will be next UM coach (article)

Advertisement
Didn't Mario say that TVD was the best QB in the country? We can point to a lot of things in the program. But there is a person actually responsible for all of that stuff.

Historically it doesn't take this long for coaches to start winning games regardless of the disaster they inherited.

That excuse doesn't really ever work. The only acceptable version of that excuse is if Mario took over a program on probation. The problem is the coach we had when the team that was on probation won more games.
Bruh, u kno **** well what Mario was doing when he said TVD was the best QB in the country. If you’ve ever listened to coaches give interviews, you’d understand. He was trying to instill confidence in TVD as a QB, and to the team, and fan base as, “we have our leader”. If he really thought TVD was the best QB in America, then his bags should have been checked for crack residue, a cigarette lighter, and a used glass pipe…. immediately.

Last edited:
If he doesn’t win this year than what does he have to have at Miami to win.

Miami has had its fair share of excuses from money to admin to coaching to culture to staff size etc etc.

What fckng excuse does day have to not win a natty ?

He’s had coaching and money and facilities and boosters and recruiting and nfl draft picks. Stadium and facilities. First round qb’s.

Literally has had it all. He’s the cmr of Ohio state. If anything he’s had more support from the school than cmr did at uga and has recruited better.

What will he have at Miami that he doesn’t have at Ohio state?

It’s like marrying a psycho ig model with 3 failed marriages.

Advertisement
Bruh, u kno **** well what Msrio was doing when he said TVD was the best QB in the country. If you’ve ever listened to coaches give interviews, you’d understand. He was trying to instill confidence in TVD as a QB, and to the team, and fan base as, “we have our leader”. If he really thought TVD was the best QB in America, then his bags should have been checked for crack residue, a cigarette lighter, and a used glass pipe…. immediately.
I'd agree with you except he doesn't get somebody else for several years. Didn't even make sure there was a competent backup.

Advertisement
3rd year is a good time for it.
Agree to some degree, but the progress made as a program cannot be overlooked. An analogy, poor as it may be, is our car needed fixing for over two decades. Now we have the money to fix it, and we are fixing it from the engine out. So far the mechanic has done a very good job with getting the right parts and has upgraded the car. Are we back? Not by a long shot. Is Mario perfect? No. I get you, the buffoonery vs GT had me vomiting. I too, have dabbled in chewing Mario out. But turning a two-decade-plus rot takes time. In time, Mario may not be the answer, but he needs to be given the time to respect his commitment to bringing the program back, and if he does that this year or the next, is he not the answer?

I'd agree with you except he doesn't get somebody else for several years. Didn't even make sure there was a competent backup.
He was recruiting them, but there were 2 things going against him. 1. The narrative was out there, at the time, that Mario was a QB killer. What QB wanted to come here to play for a coach that was said to be a QB killer? 2. This issue was more important. Nobody was sure what kind of offense, he’d want to run. So it’s not like he was saying, “Fucc recruiting QB’s we got our guy”. It was more of the kids saying, “I’m not sure about Miami because I don’t know what type of system this guy wants to run. I can go to school x,y, or z, where I know I can put up numbers. Idk if what the coach intends to run at Miami is gonna help me get to the league in 2022 going forward.”

Agree to some degree, but the progress made as a program cannot be overlooked. An analogy, poor as it may be, is our car needed fixing for over two decades. Now we have the money to fix it, and we are fixing it from the engine out. So far the mechanic has done a very good job with getting the right parts and has upgraded the car. Are we back? Not by a long shot. Is Mario perfect? No. I get you, the buffoonery vs GT had me vomiting. I too, have dabbled in chewing Mario out. But turning a two-decade-plus rot takes time. In time, Mario may not be the answer, but he needs to be given the time to respect his commitment to bringing the program back, and if he does that this year or the next, is he not the answer?
The engine I'd say would be the quarterback. Injuries and regression caused that engine to sputter and die out, even if the rest of the car was greatly improved last year.

Maudes, can we please note and mark this thread for the Year-End awards...for "Worst Thread of the Year"? Thanks.

1. Started by Squidbum - CHECK
2. Based on a ridiculous Ohio Taint article - CHECK
3. Agreement from Mcnaire - CHECK
4. Multiple stupid sci-fi GIFs that only Squidbum and Mcnaire understand and find hilarious - CHECK
5. Presence of Fraggle - TBD
6. Mention of Manny Garcia - CHECK
7. Worthless discourse that Squidbum and Mcnaire continue to bump - CHECK

Advertisement
The engine I'd say would be the quarterback. Injuries and regression caused that engine to sputter and die out, even if the rest of the car was greatly improved last year.
Agree. However, If the same problems persist this year, mcnair2004 has a point. I think, the operation of the program, from coaching personnel to getting the “right” players could also be considered the engine, and that is definitely day and night from when he took over. I’m not an expert by any stretch on things football, but as an alumni and a fan of the program I’d love to see this program back before my times up. I hope Mario either gets it done, or brings it to a level for someone else to run with it.

Sometimes it feels like certain portions of our fanbase are actually rooting against us in some sort of sick twisted need to be right. It is quite possible to see the lunacy of Mario in the GT game and simultaneously still pull for the guy to succeed here.

The article from the OP is just plain dumb. Barring a 5-7 or worse season, Mario i$n’t going anywhere. Given the schedule and roster upgrades, that scenario is highly unlikely. Therefore, I don’t get the desire to Mario bash solely for the sake of Mario bashing.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Didn't Mario say that TVD was the best QB in the country? We can point to a lot of things in the program. But there is a person actually responsible for all of that stuff.

Historically it doesn't take this long for coaches to start winning games regardless of the disaster they inherited.

That excuse doesn't really ever work. The only acceptable version of that excuse is if Mario took over a program on probation. The problem is the coach we had when the team that was on probation won more games.
Let's go position by position. What did he inherit? What were his top ranked players.

note: strike through indicates inherited players who departed after 2022

1716150119049.png

Romello Brinson was the top ranked returning wide receiver, albeit with one year of experience. Michael Redding was the second ranked, followed by Jacolby George. Of the wide receivers listed, only Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George proved to be starters, while Colbie Young was raw and developing. Brinson and Smith would be gone in 2023.

1716150233422.png

The top ranked tight end was Jaleel Skinner, a complete rookie who ultimately did not develop as a pass catcher. Will Mallory was very capable though and was a strength during the season. The position would have been even stronger, but Arroyo was knocked out for the season after game 4.

1716150550548.png

The top ranked running back was of course Citizen, who after his unfortunate knee injury never played for us before transferring. Don Chaney spent the entire season recovering from his 2021 injury and did not return to action until Game 12. That left Knighton as the top back, who entered the season suspended and had fumble problems. Thad Franklin was ineffective, leaving only Henry Parish and walkon Luscious Staley as the only other half backs.

1716150760124.png

This was one of the weakest edition in recent memory. Three of the top four ranked offensive linemen were gone after 2022, and overall there were seven players who departed.

1716150827522.png

Top ranked Jake Garcia was considered the heir apparent a year ago for TVD, with conventional wisdom being that Van Dyke would depart for the NFL after the 2022 season. Instead Tyler proved ineffective in 2022 and was injured. Some of the ineffectiveness can be attributed to the subpar offensive line, some to the offensive scheme. Garcia was no better as Van Dyke's backup and true freshman Jacurri Brown was two years away from being a viable option.

1716150969237.png

Not a particularly deep room and Leonard Taylor was the only blue chip player on the roster. Mario's only signing was Lichenstein.

1716151041556.png

Two of the top three ranked players were true freshmen who barely played in 2022.

1716151092561.png

Manny had failed to successfully recruit starting caliber linebackers for years, and it showed in the position room that Mario inherited. True freshman Bissainthe played a lot and played well but there was not much behind him in 2022.

1716151166853.png

Avantae Williams would transfer out the following year.

1716151220620.png

This too was a position group that Manny had failed to recruit at adequate numbers for most of his tenure and it showed in 2022. Blades returned after missing the previous year. True freshman Rogers was the second ranked player, and he transferred out after one year.

Miami is winning 10 games this year Mario ain’t getting fired….. ‘speaking it into existence God’

Advertisement
Back