Ryan Day will be next UM coach (article)

Let's go position by position. What did he inherit? What were his top ranked players.

note: strike through indicates inherited players who departed after 2022

View attachment 289912
Romello Brinson was the top ranked returning wide receiver, albeit with one year of experience. Michael Redding was the second ranked, followed by Jacolby George. Of the wide receivers listed, only Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George proved to be starters, while Colbie Young was raw and developing. Brinson and Smith would be gone in 2023.

View attachment 289913

The top ranked tight end was Jaleel Skinner, a complete rookie who ultimately did not develop as a pass catcher. Will Mallory was very capable though and was a strength during the season. The position would have been even stronger, but Arroyo was knocked out for the season after game 4.

View attachment 289914
The top ranked running back was of course Citizen, who after his unfortunate knee injury never played for us before transferring. Don Chaney spent the entire season recovering from his 2021 injury and did not return to action until Game 12. That left Knighton as the top back, who entered the season suspended and had fumble problems. Thad Franklin was ineffective, leaving only Henry Parish and walkon Luscious Staley as the only other half backs.

View attachment 289915

This was one of the weakest edition in recent memory. Three of the top four ranked offensive linemen were gone after 2022, and overall there were seven players who departed.

View attachment 289916

Top ranked Jake Garcia was considered the heir apparent a year ago for TVD, with conventional wisdom being that Van Dyke would depart for the NFL after the 2022 season. Instead Tyler proved ineffective in 2022 and was injured. Some of the ineffectiveness can be attributed to the subpar offensive line, some to the offensive scheme. Garcia was no better as Van Dyke's backup and true freshman Jacurri Brown was two years away from being a viable option.

View attachment 289917

Not a particularly deep room and Leonard Taylor was the only blue chip player on the roster. Mario's only signing was Lichenstein.

View attachment 289918

Two of the top three ranked players were true freshmen who barely played in 2022.

View attachment 289919
Manny had failed to successfully recruit starting caliber linebackers for years, and it showed in the position room that Mario inherited. True freshman Bissainthe played a lot and played well but there was not much behind him in 2022.

View attachment 289920

Avantae Williams would transfer out the following year.

View attachment 289921
This too was a position group that Manny had failed to recruit at adequate numbers for most of his tenure and it showed in 2022. Blades returned after missing the previous year. True freshman Rogers was the second ranked player, and he transferred out after one year.
That’s a great snapshot for comparison to where we stand today.

Advertisement
Let's go position by position. What did he inherit? What were his top ranked players.

note: strike through indicates inherited players who departed after 2022

View attachment 289912
Romello Brinson was the top ranked returning wide receiver, albeit with one year of experience. Michael Redding was the second ranked, followed by Jacolby George. Of the wide receivers listed, only Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George proved to be starters, while Colbie Young was raw and developing. Brinson and Smith would be gone in 2023.
Yeah
View attachment 289913

The top ranked tight end was Jaleel Skinner, a complete rookie who ultimately did not develop as a pass catcher. Will Mallory was very capable though and was a strength during the season. The position would have been even stronger, but Arroyo was knocked out for the season after game 4.
Yeah, Mallory was pretty good carrying the load for that room
View attachment 289914
The top ranked running back was of course Citizen, who after his unfortunate knee injury never played for us before transferring. Don Chaney spent the entire season recovering from his 2021 injury and did not return to action until Game 12. That left Knighton as the top back, who entered the season suspended and had fumble problems. Thad Franklin was ineffective, leaving only Henry Parish and walkon Luscious Staley as the only other half backs.

View attachment 289915

This was one of the weakest edition in recent memory. Three of the top four ranked offensive linemen were gone after 2022, and overall there were seven players who departed.

View attachment 289916

Top ranked Jake Garcia was considered the heir apparent a year ago for TVD, with conventional wisdom being that Van Dyke would depart for the NFL after the 2022 season. Instead Tyler proved ineffective in 2022 and was injured. Some of the ineffectiveness can be attributed to the subpar offensive line, some to the offensive scheme. Garcia was no better as Van Dyke's backup and true freshman Jacurri Brown was two years away from being a viable option.

View attachment 289917

Not a particularly deep room and Leonard Taylor was the only blue chip player on the roster. Mario's only signing was Lichenstein.

View attachment 289918

Two of the top three ranked players were true freshmen who barely played in 2022.

View attachment 289919
Manny had failed to successfully recruit starting caliber linebackers for years, and it showed in the position room that Mario inherited. True freshman Bissainthe played a lot and played well but there was not much behind him in 2022.

View attachment 289920

Avantae Williams would transfer out the following year.

View attachment 289921
This too was a position group that Manny had failed to recruit at adequate numbers for most of his tenure and it showed in 2022. Blades returned after missing the previous year. True freshman Rogers was the second ranked player, and he transferred out after one year.
I appreciate your work and I don't disagree with you on the facts.

But like I brought up before coaches that end up taking their team to a title have often inherited teams with 3-7 wins and at least got them winning games fairly quickly. With the loser talent they inherited.

Mario's only unique special circumstance is he has the most financial support and the best facilities University of Miami has ever had in every category.

Advertisement
For Ryan Day to be coming to Miami in 2025 meant that something…or actually very many things…went catastrophically wrong this season. Probably improbably wrong, as in multiple meteor strikes.

This is an uninformed take that does not account for any of the moves made this offseason (39 new players).
We have a lot of uninformed takes on this site. It is what we do.

Yeah

Yeah, Mallory was pretty good carrying the load for that room

I appreciate your work and I don't disagree with you on the facts.

But like I brought up before coaches that end up taking their team to a title have often inherited teams with 3-7 wins and at least got them winning games fairly quickly. With the loser talent they inherited.

Mario's only unique special circumstance is he has the most financial support and the best facilities University of Miami has ever had in every category.
The grass is greener on the other side. This is a hard lesson that I have learned in my seventh decade of life. Wish I was younger when this epiphany hit me.

So it’s cool to hire a fired coach unless it’s Richt?

People in here are slandering a 56-8 HC and defending a .500 one.

You guys will blame players for Mario’s losses to garbage ACC teams and fail to mention Day would’ve won a Natty if his kicker didn’t shank the game winner against UGA.

Never change guys, never change.

Advertisement
He checks off all the boxes.

-11-12 wins are the down years
-Recruits better than Mario
-He's a playoff regular

He's actually everything that we were promised in Mario except for he wins games.

For all the people that are happy with seven wins and "progress" because we lose better? I would be happy with 12 wins and progress.
You just kill me with this foolishness.

First of all, check who was the coach before Day and what his record was. It was Urban Meyer who rebuilt Ohio State. Day inherited the program and has been living off the machine that Urban Meyer built. All he had to do was not "F" it up. He's a good OC, but he hasn't built anything. The program is recruiting itself and Day is getting QBs, WRs, RBs, and DBs. He's failing in the trenches. Look at their 2024 class. It loaded with skill, but not the trenches. Meanwhile, Mario brought in the #1 DL class in 2024. 8 killers that I call, "THE HATFUL 8." Even the 3-star recruits like McConathy are killers. Day couldn't even get a portal DL to commit as Mario took Cook from Day. Day didn't get a 2024 DT. Also, Mario took Fletcher, Lyles, Lightfoot, Scott and Robinson from Day. All of who were either committed to or highly recruited takes for and OV'd to Ohio State.

Honestly, I've never heard such stupidity in recruiting. With a record of 5-7, and 7-6, Mario has brought in back 2 back top 10 recruiting classes that Miami hasn't seen in 2 decades. I don't believe any coach in college football has ever done that with a combined losing record. Last I checked, Miami finished 4th and Ohio State 5th in the 2024 recruiting rankings. Mario is set to bring in another top 5 class for the 2025 cycle. Mario is the best recruiter in the game.

The history of 7 wins is not on Mario. He just got here. Mario inherited Manny's players and culture. Comparing Day to Mario is night and day, no pun intended. You can't compare a guy that inherited a pantry full of premium groceries against a guy that got a pantry of rotting fruit and then say Day is the better chef. Mario is a program builder. A Saban. Day is an OC. Day's trenches have faltered under his leadership which is why Michigan has been beating them despite having superior offensive weapons.
'
Secondly, making these comparisons before the 2024 season is asinine. Mario has spent 3 years building his program. Don't you think he should be judged after the results of th 2024 season and not before it? It's just silly to compare a new coach inheriting a mediocre program to one that was a national power when that coach was on staff before being hired. If you want to compare the records, compare them when Mario's entire roster is of his own doing. That would be 2025, but 2024 will do.

Lastly, this whole thing is stupid because everyone knows Mario isn't going anywhere with 7 years left on his 80 million dollar contract.

They aren't very bright so there is that.
It’s perspective really. Like fans of other programs view Miami a certain way and we view ourselves differently

Miami fans can casually look at OSUs record and be like wow that’s impressive

OSU fans have a different look. They’re the richest program in the country with literally endless resources, zero competition for recruits, and they just got ****ed on by their biggest rival twice. And Day has never won a title

So to them, yeah he’s ******* up. I wish we had their standards.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't believe any coach in college football has ever done that with a combined losing record.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Advertisement
Back