XFL bankruptcy?

As long as God makes kids wrestling will continue to be profitable.
Wrestling historically is a hard business to be profitable. You either have to have (1) really low costs (2) really high live event ticket numbers and/or PPVs or (3) a huge TV deal

WCW: Not profitable from the time that Ted Turner bought it in 1989. Broke even in 1994. Went negative again from 1999 till its closure. It was kept afloat (reluctantly by Turner executives) only because of Ted's fondness for TBS wrestling
TNA/Impact: Only profitable a few years during its 18 year existence. Kept afloat the owner's parents in the previous decade, and now by the Anthem Network
SMW: Jim Cornette's promotion was around for three years and backed by Rick Rubin. It ran in the red.
ECW: Was never profitable from 1995 onward, despite its growing success (having to do more with the delayed nature of PPV receipts - the company had to foot a high bill to run a PPV, but then had to wait months to start getting revenue back from cable companies)
AWF: Never profitable, went out of business in less than a year
UWF: Never profitable, went out of business in four years
ROH: Probably barely profitable, but certainly not geared towards kids
AEW: Profitable to break-even with their new $45M TNT deal

WWE is profitable only because of the TV deals with USA and FOX. Take them away, and they lose an estimated $38M this quarter.

Advertisement
I don't think we can make a fair assessment of XFL rd. 2 because of COVID-19. The football was entertaining, they seemed to be on the right path, then boom - no more games. Right now we can't call this anything other than a case of bad luck.
I think everything you said was on point. Again just my opinion but I think they picked out terrible locations for teams minus St Louis. I also think it needs to be the NFL's D league and they need to be part of it and back it as well. They ***** about no QB development in the NFL. The qb play wont get much better with all the new rules against extra practices, extra this or that. They need to let these border line second and third stringers from NFL teams get reps in this type of league so they can learn all the things a qb needs to go thru. They will never learn these things while sitting on a bench.

Advertisement
Ratings dropped weekly. Nobody cared and nobody watched. Hopefully this is put to bed for good

The XFL has not been a very successful venture....twice.
Well to be fair, the XFL got screwed by the coronavirus. I think they were doing pretty well before they had to shut down the entire season. Since this is a newer leuge, they haven't made a lot of money. Cutting their season short clearly hurt them. They are losing a lot of money

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back