2024 WR Jeremiah Smith (Commits to OSU 12/14/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And maybe cool your jets on the UM slander. Recognize the university is bigger than the football program. And as a university, UM provides a lot to the community. One personal example: once upon a time it provided this local Cuban kid (and member of the local community) a full scholarship and an opportunity. And I'm not the only one on this board who was provided that sort of opportunity... UM provides students literally millions in scholarship money every year.

Beyond that, another example is UM's Community Health Improvement program plus Jackson Health's financial assistance programs provide quite a bit of free healthcare every year (Jackson Health Foundation alone gave $13.8 million of aid in FY 2020). If you want to keep it to UM athletics, they give out tickets to the local community all the time... Teacher Appreciation games (they just gave away 400 tickets to teachers for Southern Miss)... Hometown Hero (4,300 tickets donated to veterans and their families in the 2019-2020 season, and military appreciation game is 11/26 against Pitt this year)... Watsco Kids and Youth Football initiatives to give local kids tickets to men's and women's basketball games and football games... and a bunch of other community projects, local school visits, and initiatives each year.

Yes, the football program itself has been up and down (and over the last two decades, mostly down). A lot of that falls on the current and previous administrations. Some past coaches foolishly burned bridges in the community. And under some staffs the football program itself has done more to give back locally (like under Richt), while under other coaches it has done less (like under Folden).

But again, the university is bigger than the football team. Could the university do more? Sure, you can always do more. But UM does plenty. And it does a metric ****-ton more than 99.99% of the people clamoring about what UM doesn't do for the local community.

Now if people just want to hate on UM because it's a private university instead of a public university, and it sits at the edge of Coral Gables instead of Allapattah? I'm not sure what to say to them. UM can't change that. But maybe they should try rooting for FIU and see if that public university out in west Dade suits them better. I will continue to support this university and football program.
CE6B1BE1-64EA-4B21-B8B7-B1264E0AE931.jpeg

Advertisement
“Bashing the hometown school”

The school has zero connection to the community they recruit besides both are technically in Miami..Two different Miami’s, they dont owe the school respect so stop crying
Could you explain further?

Could you explain further?
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/wr-jeremiah-smith.178168/post-6106589

In the 80s when we got rolling local kids in the inner city we recruited saw themselves in how the canes played because they took what was happening at local parks and high schools to the biggest stage in college football. There was a connection, the city embraced the team because they related. We have to build that connection back, gonna have to be different of course.

If thats being negative or not a fan to some then aight lol

There should be “The U is back to work” shirts being sold , brand it how the heat have done with heat culture. The fans are almost delusional about heat culture, they look at it as a way of life because it represents underdog stories like UD and working for whatever you get. I just think Miami needs to do better there. We’ll never be a college town but the branding for football in a football city should be better.

Mario gets it with the billboards they put up for wes and njalik, thats a good step. That stuff matters, especially for the youth.

Advertisement
We burned the bridge with Shemar when everyone went nuts when he didn’t come here. Him and his fat handler are gone.

I always expected he would transfer back here in a few years but Mario isn’t going to let him with comments like that.

Advertisement
“You and your friends” then mentions race when nobody did lol go head and say what u really feel id respect u more

What’s wrong with you and your friends?

Too close to home and making you feel uncomfortable?

And @LeedsCane — you keep nibbling around the edges here.

Let’s just call it what it is. You’re mad you’re 0-3 to my predictions. Take your L’s and lumps, and keep it moving.

Stick to sunshine pumping for clicks and listens to your podcast.

That’s true but I banned him flat out - now reduced to 2 days. Insult a Maude and go. I’m not having uncontrollable anarchy and chaos in charge here. This place needs some order, some decorum and some structure - otherwise it becomes unmanageable and unreadable very quickly. I personally stopped verbally insulting people as much as I can help it a while ago - to be part of the solution not the problem of insults which was killing readership until it was gotten under control. If we let it go then it spirals out of control.
Ghosts Reaction GIF by CBS

We burned the bridge with Shemar when everyone went nuts when he didn’t come here. Him and his fat handler are gone.

I always expected he would transfer back here in a few years but Mario isn’t going to let him with comments like that.
I didn’t read the comments beyond seeing some Twitter laugh emoji’s and minor stuff between him and James Williams. It must’ve been really bad if we wouldn’t take him in the portal.

Advertisement
There should be “The U is back to work” shirts being sold , brand it how the heat have done with heat culture. The fans are almost delusional about heat culture, they look at it as a way of life because it represents underdog stories like UD and working for whatever you get. I just think Miami needs to do better there. We’ll never be a college town but the branding for football in a football city should be better.

Mario gets it with the billboards they put up for wes and njalik, thats a good step. That stuff matters, especially for the youth.
when people talk about heat culture here, its literally representing them as a miamian. like its there way of life like you said. not just a sports slogan. the heat did a fantastic job w that and also connecting their brand w the community. from wade county stuff to culture to even branding local outdoor courts w heat paint and redoing them for the community.

Maybe you could call Uncle Luke and ask him to sponsor a "The U is back to work" lunch truck to drive around the neighborhoods you're thinking we don't reach.

And maybe cool your jets on the UM slander. Recognize the university is bigger than the football program. And as a university, UM provides a lot to the community. One personal example: once upon a time it provided this local Cuban kid (and member of the local community) a full scholarship and an opportunity. And I'm not the only one on this board who was provided that sort of opportunity... UM provides students literally millions in scholarship money every year.

Beyond that, another example is UM's Community Health Improvement program plus Jackson Health's financial assistance programs provide quite a bit of free healthcare every year (Jackson Health Foundation alone gave $13.8 million of aid in FY 2020). If you want to keep it to UM athletics, they give out tickets to the local community all the time... Teacher Appreciation games (they just gave away 400 tickets to teachers for Southern Miss)... Hometown Hero (4,300 tickets donated to veterans and their families in the 2019-2020 season, and military appreciation game is 11/26 against Pitt this year)... Watsco Kids and Youth Football initiatives to give local kids tickets to men's and women's basketball games and football games... and a bunch of other community projects, local school visits, and initiatives each year.

Yes, the football program itself has been up and down (and over the last two decades, mostly down). A lot of that falls on the current and previous administrations. Some past coaches foolishly burned bridges in the community. And under some staffs the football program itself has done more to give back locally (like under Richt), while under other coaches it has done less (like under Folden).

But again, the university is bigger than the football team. Could the university do more? Sure, you can always do more. But UM does plenty. And it does a metric ****-ton more than 99.99% of the people clamoring about what UM doesn't do for the local community.

Now if people just want to hate on UM because it's a private university instead of a public university, and it sits at the edge of Coral Gables instead of Allapattah? I'm not sure what to say to them. UM can't change that. But maybe they should try rooting for FIU and see if that public university out in west Dade suits them better. I will continue to support this university and football program.
I know of other local kids who needed the help and UM gave them massive scholarships.

Advertisement
when people talk about heat culture here, its literally representing them as a miamian. like its there way of life like you said. not just a sports slogan. the heat did a fantastic job w that and also connecting their brand w the community. from wade county stuff to culture to even branding local outdoor courts w heat paint and redoing them for the community.
UM could learn a lot from the Heat for certain. There are connections there as well.

UM could learn a lot from the Heat for certain. There are connections there as well.
UM should go to local fields and parks and just pay to redo it all. put signage up everywhere. kids play there all the time. pay graffiti artists to paint UM stuff at Wynwood. you see so many heat murals there. the canes dont have the city's interest anymore

UM should go to local fields and parks and just pay to redo it all. put signage up everywhere. kids play there all the time. pay graffiti artists to paint UM stuff at Wynwood. you see so many heat murals there. the canes dont have the city's interest anymore
They could definitely do stuff like that and minor upgrades/enhancements in local parks. Shît, do some water fountains with filtering with Canes stuff at different parks. It’s a great idea and is very visible. The school really does do a lot for the community but this would hit on a very basic level for kids locally and it’s not only positive but also great marketing and not outrageously expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back