With Max Buchanan Out, Who Plays Right Guard vs. FSU?

CanesInSight Articles
5 min read

Comments (39)

If the big road graders like Cantwell. Ervin Wilkerson can't sustain low pad levels why not rotate them each for one series to establish the run? Who says we need to keep them in for 60 snaps? Keep big guy with fresh legs in right guard. Play sj and meri on pass pro.
 
What about Pickett?
Pickett and Meriweather both had surgery last year. Both are getting back at it and Meriweather clearly has far more big game experience/development.
All correct. Pickett may have an outside shot at getting into a rotation now. He looks like a prototype G. Meriweather is tall but not much over 300lbs.
 
All correct. Pickett may have an outside shot at getting into a rotation now. He looks like a prototype G. Meriweather is tall but not much over 300lbs.
305lbs while SJ is 290lbs. IMO, it's more about the fight in the dog than the size of the dog.
 
Even with Buchanan out, keep Cantwell at T, and try to get him reps at both LT and RT so he can take one of those spots next year. (And provide meaningful backup reps later this year)

SJ will start at RG and Merriweather will get his chances. I don’t know the nuance of LG vs RG, but for whatever reason, SJ did look better at RG. I’d keep Merriweather at G for the rest of this season, he’s not a P2 tackle, which is what we will need come playoffs.
 
I think it'll be a rotation between Meriweather & SJ at RG. Jaden Wilkerson was getting some positive buzz at tackle during camp, but I don't think he's at a level that would force McCoy inside at RG.
 
Whatever happens I hope SJ is rotating out, and they leave Samson+Congdon on the left side the rest of the way.

I don't think moving SJ to Center and Rodriguez to RG is the worst idea, mostly because it is the only real position I think SJ can actually play here, and also because it's easier to help SJ at center than at RG imo especially since Rodriguez can be in to make Oline calls regardless. And we know staff is likely confident in Rodriguez at either C/G. So then it's like Would I rather SJ play Center or Guard? Well if he doesn't **** up any snaps it's a clear decision for me where I'd prefer him which is center....

But I also do really hope they do the McCoy to RG every few series to bring in an OT - Cantwell, Meriweather, or Hawks I'd assume. I like this because it also works to get backup Tackle reps as well which could come into play with any future injuries, So I think this is probably the ideal outcome. If they just strictly sub SJ out at RG I'd guess that currently would mean Meriweather. Which I personally don't like all that much, cause I don't think he's been good, but whatever.
 
If we see issues with guard play comes back up can we expect Dawson to vary the run scheme and run more outside zone? I know he loves the inside zone but if it isn’t working I’d love to see more pistol outside runs.
 
305lbs while SJ is 290lbs. IMO, it's more about the fight in the dog than the size of the dog.
And Meriweather is 6 inches taller. So SJ is actually the more stout player. Meriweather doesn't really have a Guard's build, but he's so much better there than at OT.

In addition to the "fight" these guys have, it's also just making the right move/ knowing your assignment. The first few games, SJ and a few others look confused. A lot of the mistakes had little to do with physical size and more with just not knowing where to be. The OL started functioning much more smoothly in the Clemson game.
 
You gotta put Merriweather in there at G and rotate the younger players (Pickett, Woodrow) if needed. SJ needs to just stay 2nd at C behind Rodriguez.

With how injuries have come about so far, I don’t feel comfortable having our 1st and 2nd team centers playing at the same time. I feel like you gotta go baptism by fire with the younger players backing up at RG.
 
Could be something, probably nothing, but McCoy and Buchanan swapped spots for two plays on the long drive during the 3rd quarter. I would imagine it had to do with managing the pain in the shoulder area where he got hurt. Wonder if that plays a factor in the next iteration of the lineup they roll out with.
 
We can't take many more hits to the offensive line, or we'll have to put kids in who aren't ready mentally or physically. While we have an o-line room full of potential, remember that potential is something that hasn't happened yet. An O-line with multiple true freshmen starting would be okay in a throwaway year, but this is a CFP team. That said, with a buy week, the staff will have to identify and prepare 4 more kids to play.
 
I'm not sure what you guys see in Meriwether other than height and hopium. He had one ok series in the 1st half vs CMU; didn't do anything really. Then he played mostly vs the CMU backups in the 4th qtr.

It's gonna have to be SJ.
 
I think Mirabol has a plan and has a pretty good idea of how this should work, so I will be watching this closely to see how our OL whisperer gets the Canes OL ready to face elite competition without getting embarrassed.

Mirabol has FSU, Pitt and UNC to get the OL ready for ND. IMHO , he will start SJ against FSU, but rotate SJ and Meriwether at RG, then see who develops and progresses. Mirabol will eventually play the player or players who gives us the best chance to win. If he thinks they should rotate like McCoy and Samson did last season, he will do it
 
Can someone explain the obsession behind moving McCoy or Rodriguez to guard? Both have been solid at their current spots and I’d much rather try to plug one hole than have two guys learning on the fly.

Furthermore, isn’t tackle a more difficult and more important position than guard? Why would we move a veteran NFL talent off of a tackle spot?
 
Can someone explain the obsession behind moving McCoy or Rodriguez to guard? Both have been solid at their current spots and I’d much rather try to plug one hole than have two guys learning on the fly.

Furthermore, isn’t tackle a more difficult and more important position than guard? Why would we move a veteran NFL talent off of a tackle spot?
It's NCAA College Football 27
 
Back
Top