WildcatDefense they need you back haha

am1640

Sophomore
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...of-player-complaints-20130925,0,4829461.story

Western coach Derek Segaloff resigns after players 'go on strike'
print
Comments
Email

Derek Segaloff
Western coach Derek Segaloff was fired Wednesday. (Mark Randall / Sun Sentinel / August 10, 2013)
Related
Football predictions (Week 5)
Broward high school football's Top 50 seniors
Photos: Broward high school football's Top 50 seniors

By Steve Gorten
Sun Sentinel
5:50 p.m. EDT, September 25, 2013

Western football coach Derek Segaloff resigned Wednesday less than midway through his first season after a revolt by a majority of the team’s players.

Receivers coach Jermaine Hollis was promoted to replace Segaloff.

Segaloff told the Sun Sentinel he stepped down after meeting with Western principal Jimmy Arrojo on Wednesday morning and Wildcats players before that. Western is 0-4 and has been outscored 114-3 in four games.

Segaloff, 29, wouldn’t say he was forced to resign, and said he didn’t want to elaborate on the situation because he’s still employed as a social studies teacher at the school, but said he was “extremely disappointed” about the move.

“It’s extremely hard. This is something where I’ve worked my entire life to get to this point,” Segaloff said. “You live and learn. I’ve learned a lot in a short period of time. …I did everything to the best of my ability and did everything I could with the cards I was dealt.”
In a statement released by Broward County Public Schools, Arrojo noted the team “is looking forward to this Friday’s game against Miramar and a successful continuation of the season.”

The team practiced Wednesday afternoon under the direction of Hollis, who last year was South Broward’s boys basketball coach.

According to multiple sources within the team, a majority of players were unhappy with Segaloff’s handling of the team and coaching style. One starter, who along with his mom asked for him not to be identified, told the Sun Sentinel that between 30 and 40 players went on “strike” Monday and skipped practice. Segaloff cancelled Tuesday’s practice after only about 25 players showed up the day before.

“We wanted to get the word out that we refused to play until we saw a change,” the player who spoke to the Sun Sentinel said, “and we didn’t see a change.”

He said players started complaining to their parents about two weeks ago. He added he was surprised a change was made midseason.

“I’m happy,” the player said of the move, “but sad because I’ve known Coach Segaloff. But he just wasn’t ready for the job. He was a good man, but he wasn’t a good coach.”

The player guessed about “90 percent” of the team wanted a change, with the rest backing Segaloff. He added that Segaloff showed favoritism toward a small, select group of players, didn’t seem to take the losses seriously, had a verbal confrontation with one player in front of the team while kicking every player out of one practice, and generally didn’t have a grip on the team.

“The reason we went on strike is because it felt like nobody was taking the season seriously,” the player said. “The biggest thing in my opinion was [Segaloff] wasn’t ready. He was too young of a coach and didn’t have everything together.”

Asked if he felt there needed to be a coaching change, the player noted: “Yeah. I felt it 100 percent. I thought twice about not finishing the season myself, but I couldn’t give up on my teammates.”

Western was 7-3 in 2012 under former coach Rashad West, who resigned after the season. Segaloff, one of the youngest coaches in Broward County, took over a program that lost several of its top players as transfers to other schools, most notably quarterback Wade Freebeck, one of the county’s top 50 prospects and a University of Pittburgh commitment.

Segaloff told the Sun Sentinel last week that he was using the losses to Cardinal Gibbons, South Plantation, Monarch, and most recently Everglades, as teaching opportunities.

“Obviously, the schedule-makers didn’t do us any favors, but we knew what we were getting into when the season started,” Segaloff said. “We have to keep learning and keep getting better each week.”

Segaloff did have the support of some players. He told the Sun Sentinel last week that senior linebacker Mason Arcacha gave him a memorable quote.

“It said the difference between winners and losers is that winners keep fighting until they win,” Segaloff said. “So that’s kind of the message I’ve been giving to the team. We just have to keep clawing, keep fighting and eventually it’s going to turn around for us.”

On Wednesday, Western’s leadership decided it wouldn’t with Segaloff in charge. During his meeting with players Wednesday, Segaloff said, he apologized to them in an “attempt to unify the team” and stop “a lot of players from pointing fingers at each other.”

Advertisement
Yeah it's a mess over there. They asked some of the coaches from last season to come back and help, and the kids are begging us, so we'll see what happens.

It's gonna be real ugly tonight vs Miramar but i think they can get things back on track if the right decisions are made.

Listening to 560 this morning, Joe Rose has put his name in considerations for the western job. He said he was willing to quit NBC and he has some ex NFL players willing to coach, such as: Channing Crowder, Pat surtain (currently at heritage) Marino and Jason Taylor 1 day a week commitment. This guy has connections and he could really make sokething big down there

Listening to 560 this morning, Joe Rose has put his name in considerations for the western job. He said he was willing to quit NBC and he has some ex NFL players willing to coach, such as: Channing Crowder, Pat surtain (currently at heritage) Marino and Jason Taylor 1 day a week commitment. This guy has connections and he could really make sokething big down there

We dont need a gator working at Western. Keep Crowder out of the coaching ranks

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Rose was kidding about that.

Also, ex-NFL player doesn't equal good coach. Alot of these ex-NFL guys become coaches "just because" and don't really understand the drive and dedication it takes. Being head coach is aloooooot of work. It's a 24/7 job. Orande Gadsen applied for the job and finished as a top-3 candidate but totally blew his interview. Now he's coaching at Heritage and every time I watch them all I see is Gadsen twiddling his thumbs. From the couple times I spoke to him, I got the impression that he just wanted the Western job cause it was "something to do".

Now, I will say this, an ex-NFL guy can probably attract more talent to the school...but are they gonna coach them up? That's the question. We see what Bennett did at Northeast. He loaded that team with talent but never had enough coaching to get them through the play-offs.

Now, if you get enough talent through the door then scheme and coaching don't become a top-notch priority. (I think it's still important, but ultimately, in this county you'll still win alot of games if you've got enough talent and average coaching) I don't think Western will ever be able to stack their roster to that level. You're always gonna need coaches in here who put a premium on scheme and sound fundamentals BEFORE talent. There's only been 2 coaches who have won games here, Jack Chapman and the recent Rashad West, and both of those guys put a premium on discipline, hard-work, scheme and fundamentals. The ceiling here, considering the tough district, is around 7-3 or maybe even 8-2 on a really good year. That's with good coaching and a few talented additions to the roster. Miramar, Flanagan and Cypress (as long as Coach-G is there) are always gonna be huge hurdles for Western. (although I feel like Western could've beat Flanagan or Cypress this year had the previous HC stayed along with all the kids that transferred)

What we saw going on at Cypress Bay the last few years is the product of added talent (legit D1 talent)...AND good coaching. That's why they've been able to be successful. But as expected, the depth isn't there, so what you're seeing from Cypress this year is a big fall-off. They lost studs at WR, RB and QB. They still have good coaching but they lack the depth that would allow them to be successful year after year.

What you're seeing right now is what Western is typically "supposed" to look like. Or shall I say what they'd look like with average to poor coaching. Without coaching and schemes the game comes down to a battle of talent. Right now, all 4 of the teams they've lost to were simply more talented than they were and Western didn't have the schemes or coaching to overcome that. Point blank. They won't face a team with their level of talent until Cooper City.

Last edited:
I can't remember the coaches name while my brother was at Western in 2006, but he seemed like a decent coach. I know he graduated with a few of his friends that went on to play ball at smaller schools. Got my brother a scholarship to Pitt and he had other schools to choose from.

I can't remember the coaches name while my brother was at Western in 2006, but he seemed like a decent coach. I know he graduated with a few of his friends that went on to play ball at smaller schools. Got my brother a scholarship to Pitt and he had other schools to choose from.

Jared Martin?

Advertisement
Just like what was already stated...Western has ALWAYS Been a team of disciplined, well coached kids,w ith 2-4 div 1 level prospects sprinkle throughout the team.

They need legit coches their to just be avg or to compete, but what they COULD develop is what i believe they will always have a solid crop of is LINEMAN. They when i was inhigh school would routinely have kids Feliciano's size on their lines. They also had a good wrestling program......They focus on the lines and developing guys on both sides of the lines, and run a specific system they will be able to compete...and fight Cypress Bay to keep kids that are actually suppose to be at Western.

I just saw that article about the coach and first thought in my head was.."this dude is a lame duck coach"...he was getting advice from another bum coach...Mariguet or whatever his name is that started at Flanagan.

WILDCAT you goin back? If so turn up[ brah, yall need to go out their and recruit my brother...F'IT...hit them unlimited-optomist games and get a base of kids. Get some second teamers from other schools do something...A team called a strike??...typical rich kids out their man. Them dudes unioned up..lol

Advertisement

Jared Martin?

Yep that's my brother.

Cool man. I got here just after he left. Hope he's doing well.

Yea he decided to stay in Pittsburgh after he graduated.

Jared Martin?

Yep that's my brother.

Cool man. I got here just after he left. Hope he's doing well.

Yea he decided to stay in Pittsburgh after he graduated.

I heard it's beautiful up there. Every player I know that visits loves it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back