Wide Receiver depth and viable targets in the passing game.

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Let me preface this by saying I know it was only Bethune Cookman.

I'm very high on the abilty/potential of this group both this year and going into 2018. Watching Darrell Langham making catches all over the field and displaying confidence doing it was unexpected but extremely encouraging. I'm not saying Langham is Mike Evans but the kid has come a long way and I think he showed Saturday that he can be a contributer in the passing game particularly but not limited to in the redzone. He isn't going to get a lot of separation but it seems as if he has worked really hard on his route running, body contol, hands and the ability to use his height and size to his advantage.

Add Lawrence Cager to the list of positives that came Saturday. Cager showed every bit of ability he had before the knee injury and looks like a better player. Watching him Saturday it was obvious that he will have a role and that he can be an extremely reliable possession type.

We all know what Berrios brings to the table. It will be good to have his experience and reliability in the slot. Again not the flashy take it to the house from anywhere type of guy but a potential 1st down machine that will keep the chains moving.

Ahmmon Richards is clearly our no1 and this kid is going to get better and better every week. An explosive talent who literally changes the way defenses align against us.

Add to this the speed and ability to blow the top off of any secondary in Harley and Thomas and we start to grasp the type of enormous potential and ability this group has. Then you realize that Deejay Dallas who has speed, instincts and the knack for making big plays is also in the mix. Obviously these 3 are true freshmen but all 3 of them show the ability and maturity to contribute this year. This trio will steadily improve from game to game and by game 6 Richt will most likely be able to do/call things that maybe he wasn't as comfortable with at this early stage.

I bring all of this up now because until Saturday this entire group minus Richards and Berrios were just names on paper with theoretical potential. After watching Cager and Langham on Saturday and seeing a bit of Harley and Thomas it hit me that these kids will definitely make an impact this year and that what that means in terms of depth is staggering.

But were not going to stop there. We all know what a weapon Walton can be as a receiver out of the backfield but now we also have Homer as a legit #2 who also showed himself to be a weapon as a receiver(and that speed). Then we have Chris Herndon who is another weapon in the passing game who can line up at TE, WR, FB or H-back. Also I get the impression that Irvin Jr is going to work his way onto the field as the season progresses. Imagine if Dionte Mullins begins to develop during the year.

Holy freaking depth Batman! I'm not as knowledgeable about X's and O's as guys like [MENTION=293]ghost2[/MENTION] [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION] and others but with Rosier becoming more experienced and comfortable with each game, Richt is going to have an insane amount of options and flexibility at his disposal in terms of personnel groupings and formations.

Finally consider the following. Of all the guys I mentioned above, we only lose Berrios and Herndon for next year and add Wiggins, Pope, Hightower, Mallory, Jordan, Lingard and Davis to the weapons coming back with Evidence Njoku coming off a redshirt year. Seriously just try to process all of that. Ive heard off stacking skill position talent and building depth and competition but Jesus!!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
More weapons than Kim Jong Un. If Malik can play mistake free ball, and make a few timely third down throws/runs - then I think we can be special.

the value of Richards was felt saturday,we'd lose 2-3 games this year without him that we would win with/because of him

Advertisement
It's been a while since we had this much height at the position, **** if Cager makes the block on Rosiers first run he might have scored.

Mullins needs to get it together. One dropped pass on 3rd down that would have given us a 1st. Then a bone head personal foul penalty. If he keeps that up he will not see the field.

We are loaded at WR. When you add Herndon, it is pound for pound the deepest unit on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Wait until next recruiting classes WR's, TE's, RB's and OL get here.

So nobody is impressed with that right guard punishing mutha ****as down field

Of course everyone is impressed with Donaldson, but the thread is about WR depth. Im not sure how Donaldson plays into the conversation.

Advertisement
Back