Why the Miami job is going to be desired this time around

Man I like your optimism but you have to know this is a pipe dream.

Why its not going to be a top job...

1. Multiple other better jobs out there right now.
2. No fan support (look at the stadium)
3. Plenty of fan backlash and unrealistic expectations (the banners). Like it or not that shiat matters to coaches and is why Spurrier left UF.
4. Admin who doesnt want to make UM a money making football machine. (look where the stadium is)
5. Budget pay grade and no investment from Admins.
6. In a location where most of the high schools have well below national avg test scores and no academic exceptions allowed.
7. Admin who will not pay top dollar for your assistants.
8. No indoor practice facility in one of the most weather unfriendly places in the country.

I could go on and on really. But the truth is that coaches will have options and they will want to go where they can be successful. At Miami the odds are stacked against your success when compared to other schools.

Miami's hope is an up and comer that no ones is interested in or someone who has allegiance to the program.

I would take Butch, but I would also take Cristobal if he was allowed to bring in Butch as a DC and AHC (which might be the only way Butch can return). He has been under Saban's wing for some time and it might be the best way for us to tap into Miami's biggest asset and that is its local high school kids. I would even think about keeping Coley as the OC if you stripped him of play calling and hired someone like Dorsey as the QB coach. If Chud would consider OC then that's a no brainier but I don't want him as the HC.

$3 million dollars is plenty to get a good HC this time around. Butch Davis would come for $2 million. Even if Herman, Fuente, Pagano, etc passed Butch will be there, so missing out on a good candidate or not getting one of the good ones is not an excuse. I'm fine if they target a hot name like those, but if they miss out and settle on Cristobal, they shoot themselves in the foot. As far as facilities, we can compete. We have all we need. And in reality if Golden showed he could win, the admin would probably give football a chance and would have already made the indoor facility a priority. But right now the priority is figure out how to win and who is going to win. Once we settle on a HC that can do that, we might get the indoor. Fans come with winning as well.

One thing solves every problem above. WIN. That starts in the next few months. Hire a coach that is going to do it.

Do we really think the next guy is going to get 3 mill with Al's buyout? I am thinking Al wouldn't have gotten that if it wasn't to save face on the NCAA issue.

Maybe they do dish out the funds, but I am just not sure enough that they will want to make a big enough splash to take money from other designated university funds to do so.

If it were my business I would put up 5 mill allow for some academic exceptions and go for Chip Kelly. Wouldn't care if it had to go on a credit card for god's sake because it would pay off in year one.

Chip is another genetic engineer like Al. He wants only HIS type of players -- jut like Al. We have Miami players. Need a coach who will do what MIAMI players do best, not what they want to do.

um... except Chip wins....

Chip wants fast players with lots of stamina which is the definition of a Miami player. What he wants is what we got loads of in SFL. It would be the perfect combo not to mention half of our games would be in 85+ degree weather and that would destroy any team from being able to keep pace with us.

Advertisement
The thing that scares me is why did schiano turn the job down after coker?

I always thought it was because he wanted a NFL gig sooner than later and didn't want to have to rebuild. Up there he needed 9 wins to be a god. Down here he needed 11 wins or he was a failure.

Team is in much better shape than what Coker and Shannon left.

I agree but maybe not from a overall depth perspective, but definitely from a recruiting perspective. Randy just ****ed local coach's off and burned bridges. He had local coaches rooting against us and pushing kids away from us.

3. Plenty of fan backlash and unrealistic expectations (the banners). Like it or not that shiat matters to coaches and is why Spurrier left UF.
4. Admin who doesnt want to make UM a money making football machine. (look where the stadium is)
6. In a location where most of the high schools have well below national avg test scores and no academic exceptions allowed.
8. No indoor practice facility in one of the most weather unfriendly places in the country.

I could go on and on really. But the truth is that coaches will have options and they will want to go where they can be successful. At Miami the odds are stacked against your success when compared to other schools.

Miami's hope is an up and comer or someone that none of the top schools are interested in or someone who has allegiance to the program.

I would take Butch, but I would also take Cristobal if he was allowed to bring in Butch as a DC and AHC (which might be the only way Butch can return). He has been under Saban's wing for some time and it might be the best way for us to tap into Miami's biggest asset and that is its local high school kids. I would even think about keeping Coley as the OC if you stripped him of play calling and hired someone like Dorsey as the QB coach. If Chud would consider OC then that's a no brainier but I don't want him as the HC.

LMAO

Name me 1 player that we couldn't admit due to academic issues or didn't recruit, that ended up at D1 school not named Marshall? That narrative is weak. The school has made exceptions for players that nobody thought could qualify ANYWHERE (Yearby, Choc, Knowles and few others).

Some coaches may put a premium on crowds, but a better pay check is a better pay check. This isn't a job for a coach that strongly desires a college town atmosphere and may want to coach here for the long-term. This is a job where the most important resource required to win (Talent), is significantly better than it's competition. The Brand of Miami football is still strong. Our recruiting classes in fact rank higher than Clemson's, despite them winning BCS games and having top facilities. We go 6-7 and still get classes around the top-10. This is a job for someone that wants to build their resume and use it as a stepping stone for the pro's or another college job.

I am surprised you don't know this but its a fact that Miami simply rarely allows for any academic exceptions. It was one of Shalala's efforts to legitimize the school as being an academic institution.

You asking me to name info that no one could name other than the coaches which would be an NCAA violation is just bad logic. How about this.. Name me one guy on the current team that did get in under an exception.

At one time FSU allowed up to 80% of their football team to be exceptions. Yes 80%! GT's coach argued in public to get his exception limit up to 20% and even Duke allows for some whereas Miami does not have a set limit and every case has to be reviewed and accepted and it simply does not happen. South Florida is littered with D1 studs that require them and when they get into there Sr years and they realize they aint going to qualify for Miami they decommit or commit elsewhere because why work hard in school when you can just go to FSU.

You're claiming that NO ONE could name them, other than coaches. Yet, I know that those kids were given exceptions because the writers of this site published it.

There's not one player from SFL that went to FSU or any other top program that we wouldn't have allowed to enroll. Kids that didn't qualify that we recruited: Valentine, AJL, Leggett, Kevin Grooms, Derrick Griffin, etc...None of those kids could qualify at anywhere but Marshall or they haven't at all and that's why they're not playing football.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Miami's hope is an up and comer that no ones is interested in or someone who has allegiance to the program.

$3 million dollars is plenty to get a good HC this time around. Butch Davis would come for $2 million. Even if Herman, Fuente, Pagano, etc passed Butch will be there, so missing out on a good candidate or not getting one of the good ones is not an excuse. I'm fine if they target a hot name like those, but if they miss out and settle on Cristobal, they shoot themselves in the foot. As far as facilities, we can compete. We have all we need. And in reality if Golden showed he could win, the admin would probably give football a chance and would have already made the indoor facility a priority. But right now the priority is figure out how to win and who is going to win. Once we settle on a HC that can do that, we might get the indoor. Fans come with winning as well.

One thing solves every problem above. WIN. That starts in the next few months. Hire a coach that is going to do it.

Do we really think the next guy is going to get 3 mill with Al's buyout? I am thinking Al wouldn't have gotten that if it wasn't to save face on the NCAA issue.

Maybe they do dish out the funds, but I am just not sure enough that they will want to make a big enough splash to take money from other designated university funds to do so.

If it were my business I would put up 5 mill allow for some academic exceptions and go for Chip Kelly. Wouldn't care if it had to go on a credit card for god's sake because it would pay off in year one.

Chip is another genetic engineer like Al. He wants only HIS type of players -- jut like Al. We have Miami players. Need a coach who will do what MIAMI players do best, not what they want to do.

Chip wants fast players with lots of stamina which is the definition of a Miami player. What he wants is what we got loads of in SFL. It would be the perfect combo not to mention half of our games would be in 85+ degree weather and that would destroy any team from being able to keep pace with us.

And we would have no defense. That is the by product of tempo when it doesn't work well. Your defense is back on field too fast. It destroys the other defense and yours.

Miami's hope is an up and comer or someone that none of the top schools are interested in or someone who has allegiance to the program.

LMAO

Name me 1 player that we couldn't admit due to academic issues or didn't recruit, that ended up at D1 school not named Marshall? That narrative is weak. The school has made exceptions for players that nobody thought could qualify ANYWHERE (Yearby, Choc, Knowles and few others).

Some coaches may put a premium on crowds, but a better pay check is a better pay check. This isn't a job for a coach that strongly desires a college town atmosphere and may want to coach here for the long-term. This is a job where the most important resource required to win (Talent), is significantly better than it's competition. The Brand of Miami football is still strong. Our recruiting classes in fact rank higher than Clemson's, despite them winning BCS games and having top facilities. We go 6-7 and still get classes around the top-10. This is a job for someone that wants to build their resume and use it as a stepping stone for the pro's or another college job.

I am surprised you don't know this but its a fact that Miami simply rarely allows for any academic exceptions. It was one of Shalala's efforts to legitimize the school as being an academic institution.

You asking me to name info that no one could name other than the coaches which would be an NCAA violation is just bad logic. How about this.. Name me one guy on the current team that did get in under an exception.

At one time FSU allowed up to 80% of their football team to be exceptions. Yes 80%! GT's coach argued in public to get his exception limit up to 20% and even Duke allows for some whereas Miami does not have a set limit and every case has to be reviewed and accepted and it simply does not happen. South Florida is littered with D1 studs that require them and when they get into there Sr years and they realize they aint going to qualify for Miami they decommit or commit elsewhere because why work hard in school when you can just go to FSU.

You're claiming that NO ONE could name them, other than coaches. Yet, I know that those kids were given exceptions because the writers of this site published it.

There's not one player from SFL that went to FSU or any other top program that we wouldn't have allowed to enroll. Kids that didn't qualify that we recruited: Valentine, AJL, Leggett, Kevin Grooms, Derrick Griffin, etc...None of those kids could qualify at anywhere but Marshall or they haven't at all and that's why they're not playing football.

I am sorry but that complete nonsense. If you do your homework you would be really surprised.

Your mixing up basic minimum requirements set by the clearing house from a schools requirement's. A public school's requirements are set by the state. A private schools requirements are set by the school. If a kid cant meet the clearing house or states requirements then he can’t go to any school in Florida but still can get into an out of state private institution like Marshal who sets its own requirements at a drivers license and a number two pencil. Unless they are a designated LD.

It’s a known fact that Miami and UVA rarely budge on laxed requirements for its athletes and gives out the least academic exceptions than any other schools in the ACC.

FSU gives out the most. Not only does more than half of FSUs football players get in from a exception process they also take athletes with designated learning disabilities that allows them to go even below the clearing house’s standards. These guys don’t even need to pass the state’s standardized tests in their junior years to even graduate to become a Sr. FSU at one time had 1/3 of their football players with that designation.

A kid can have a LD designation and be at a 3rd grade reading level and play for FSU. THAT’S A FACT!

Miami doesn’t take any of those kids. They also have far higher athletic standards requirements then FSU does and allows far less exceptions granted by the board.

If you don't think that coaches beg admissions to allow for more then again do your homework. GT and ND are some recent examples of this. It’s simply something that matters and is a disadvantage at Miami because this admin has some wild hair up their *** that they are the next Harvard or something.

Also the high schools in SFL simply do not stack up on a national level compared to other schools. The SFL area has more kids in need of exceptions that any other concentrated area of the country.

You have no idea why a kid that grew up loving Miami goes to FSU. What kid is going to come out and say it’s because of grades or because they are designated LD and Miami doesn’t take Athletic LDs exceptions.

If you think Miami would allow 70% of its kids to come in on exceptions like FSU does every single year then you’re wrong. It’s a mark against your school academic standing and is not something this administration is budging on.

Last edited:

And we would have no defense. That is the by product of tempo when it doesn't work well. Your defense is back on field too fast. It destroys the other defense and yours.

Your right its a balance you have to master but with depth it helps and with a coach who can pull in top notch recruits, talent and depth would be something we have more of than any other team in the country.

Seriously could you imagine the depth we would have with Chip Kelly's name recruiting.

I know its a pipe dream but ****... We would be back in no time. I think Miami has the speed advantage over everywhere.. bulk maybe not so much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back