Why Is Tampa Dropping Rueben Bain in Coverage?

CanesInSight Articles
4 min read

Comments (30)

He’s barely played over 100 snaps this year , then he’s rushed just a tad over half his snaps So he hasn’t played much because of multiple injuries and when he does play he’s dropping almost half the time . Imo that theory doesn’t jive.
I only watch the bucs bec of him and keonte and Ive watched all of their games and when he is out there and when he has rushed it’s non existent. The tackles are swallowing him up. I said something is off. So injured or overthinking whatever but I don’t see any of their other players being as ineffective as he has been. I really thought he would dominate and have been talking mad **** about him.
 
I am a Bain fan but I am just keeping it 100. He has not been good. Ain’t no other way to say it. I have not given up on him but I also have to accept what I am seeing.

It’s not a good look when we have to blame coaches and scheme for a players play.
Just shut the **** up for all of us
 
Ive found it very interesting (not really i know why), people are incredibly quick to call UM guys a bust a turn on them.

Cam Ward is improving and on par with other top picks statistically, and the hate he is receiving and calling him trash is out of this world. The quickest I've ever seen for a #1 overall pick.

Bain, 4 games in his career and hurt, people calling him one of the biggest 1st round busts already and writing him off.
Your stats are your stats and that is just me keeping it 100. I love Bain but it’s hard to defend his play at this point and the noise is just going to grow unless he starts playing better.

I am not worried about him being a bust but I definitely understand the noise
 
Your stats are your stats and that is just me keeping it 100. I love Bain but it’s hard to defend his play at this point and the noise is just going to grow unless he starts playing better.

I am not worried about him being a bust but I definitely understand the noise
Pipe down as*blood
 
Pipe down as*blood
Bain hasn’t played well so far, and that’s just facts. There’s really no way to sugarcoat it. The criticism is fair, and until his play improves, there’s going to be noise about his performance. That’s just part of being a first-round pick.

Since people have asked, here’s my assessment of him.

I think people need to understand that one of the biggest adjustments for rookie defensive ends is learning that the moves that made them dominant in college don’t always translate immediately to the NFL. You’re now going against stronger, more experience. These tackles know how to neutralize those moves.

Now, there are some legitimate concerns with Bain. It’s not just the lack of sacks. It’s the lack of consistent pressure, his struggles winning one-on-one matchups, and the fact that he hasn’t really made much of an impact when he’s been on the field. Those are things you can’t just ignore.

Has he been good, absolutely not but people online saying he is a bust is crazy. We’ve seen first-round defensive ends like Rashan Gary, Brandon Graham, and Greg Rousseau take time to develop before becoming productive NFL players.

For me, what I want to see moving forward isn’t necessarily sacks right away. I want to see him generating more pressure, developing additional pass-rush moves, improving against the run, and showing progress from week to week.

If we’re halfway through next season and we’re still having these same conversations, then I think the concerns become much bigger.
 
Time will tell. The NFL is not college ball where the tackle you are rushing against is going to be selling insurance for State Farm soon.
 
idk why you guys are jumping down the one guys throat lol. He’s had a rough go so far. I see clips going around Instagram all the time. That said 1. Sounds like he’s banged up. And 2. He’s young, he only played 3 years here. So it’s not over for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I adore the guy. He was the soul the resurrection of the program. It’s possible the length thing actually does matter in the pros. We’ll find out. Sounds like the scheme is doing him no favors.
 
He’s barely played over 100 snaps this year , then he’s rushed just a tad over half his snaps So he hasn’t played much because of multiple injuries and when he does play he’s dropping almost half the time . Imo that theory doesn’t jive.
Two players I would look at when thinking about Bain’s potential fit as a 3-technique are Aaron Donald and Calijah Kancey. Now, I’m not saying Bain is going to become Aaron Donald, but when you look at their physical builds and how they generate power and leverage, I think there’s some opportunity.

Bain weighed 263 pounds at the combine, so he’d only need to put on about 22 pounds to get to 285, which is around Donald’s playing weight. He’d definitely need to hit the weight room, add some muscle, and get stronger, even though the guy is already strong as an ox.

Bain’s physical makeup might actually be better suited for disrupting offensive guards from the 3-technique rather than consistently trying to beat longer, more athletic NFL tackles off the edge.

I’m not saying you completely abandon him as an edge rusher, but I do think there’s a possibility that his greatest value in the NFL could eventually come from moving him around the defensive line and letting him attack from the inside.
 
idk why you guys are jumping down the one guys throat lol. He’s had a rough go so far. I see clips going around Instagram all the time. That said 1. Sounds like he’s banged up. And 2. He’s young, he only played 3 years here. So it’s not over for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I adore the guy. He was the soul the resurrection of the program. It’s possible the length thing actually does matter in the pros. We’ll find out. Sounds like the scheme is doing him no favors.
This makes way too much sense for this board.
 
idk why you guys are jumping down the one guys throat lol. He’s had a rough go so far. I see clips going around Instagram all the time. That said 1. Sounds like he’s banged up. And 2. He’s young, he only played 3 years here. So it’s not over for him by any stretch of the imagination.

I adore the guy. He was the soul the resurrection of the program. It’s possible the length thing actually does matter in the pros. We’ll find out. Sounds like the scheme is doing him no favors.
I have stopped looking at the X and instagram post. So discouraging and heartbreaking.
 
Back
Top