Why Is Tampa Dropping Rueben Bain in Coverage?

CanesInSight Articles
4 min read
I'm not sure who rushes the passer more in Tampa right now, Rueben Bain or Keionte Scott.

The Bucs went to Dallas on Thursday night and won, two of our favorite Canes were on the field for it, and I came away frustrated anyway.

"As if he is Deion Sanders"​

Ahmmon saw the same thing I did.

"They're dropping Bain as if he is Deion Sanders," he said. "It's the craziest thing to me."

He figured that in Todd Bowles' defense Bain would be a pure rush guy, or in the worst case bump inside a little.

Instead he's backing out into the flats.

If you're going to drop a lineman, you drop the longer one, and he could see that argument for a guy built like Akheem Mesidor. Bain's size and build are the opposite of that.

Every defensive coach I talk to says the same thing, that fans always complain about it, everybody does it, and you have to have it in your bag.

Here at UM it was a changeup. In Tampa it's close to every other play, which makes it a core part of the scheme. He doesn't have the length, he isn't the fastest guy in the world and he's never played off the ball.

"I feel like it would be so simple," Ahmmon said. "Let Bain rush the passer. Let your cornerbacks play. If you want to bring an extra guy in the box, you got Keionte Scott. Let the four guys rush, man. Stop dropping this dude in the flats."

I'd still be patient with Bain. We got frustrated with him at times too, and his sack numbers came in the playoffs more than the middle of the season.

Scott is doing exactly what he did here​

Seven tackles, all over the field, and he never came off it down the stretch. For a fourth-round pick, that's a great start.

He's fast, he tackles and he plays well in space, and he's already starting and making impact plays. Ahmmon expects him to keep getting better as the game slows down for him.

What a new coordinator did for Greg Rousseau​

This is why I'm not panicking about Bain.

Rousseau was already good in Buffalo. Then the Bills brought in a new defensive coordinator and I don't think it's a crazy statement to say he might be the best defensive player in the league through the first five weeks.

He's leading the league in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles. Add in what he does against the run and it's Myles Garrett type production.

Ahmmon, who is close with him, said Rousseau is playing that Florida State game from 2019 just about every week now. Nobody can block him.

"It takes a great DC or a great coach to get the best out of his players," Ahmmon said.

Some coordinators didn't know what they had in Rousseau either. I'm hoping the same thing happens for Bain.

It's been a while since Thursday nights looked like this​

Think about the generations. Butch Davis and Larry Coker stocked the league with Pro Bowlers you saw every week. Under Randy Shannon and Al Golden the picks weren't as high, but a lot of those guys made rosters and lasted.

Where it really dropped off, quite frankly, was Mark Richt and Manny Diaz.

Ahmmon's own class is the one that gets me. It could have been one of the best in program history, and the decommitments killed it.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson was committed to that class. So were Jawaan Taylor, Josh Uche, James Pierre, James Wiggins and Zack Moss. Then Ahmmon and Malek Young, two guys who were headed to the league, had their careers ended by injuries. Put all of them together with what Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinckney gave us and that's something like ten NFL players in one class.

"Sometimes things have to happen for what we're seeing right now to be here," he said. "Maybe in some alternate universe those guys come, Coach Richt is still coaching and Mario's still at Oregon. You never know."

I'll take this universe. The program is in a great place, the development is real and there are Canes worth watching on Thursday nights again. Now somebody in Tampa needs to let Bain rush.

Watch the full conversation below and subscribe to the CanesInsight YouTube channel.

 

Comments (26)

Keeping it 100, he just isn’t good. There is really no other way to say it. He wasn’t getting to the QB so dropping him in coverage allows the DC to get some use from him.
Either you’re trolling or have no clue what you’re talking about. Bain has had multiple injuries including an ac joint and groin issue which both are huge at that position. Dropping a DL is a scheme thing not a he’s not good thing.
 
They're playing as a 34 DE at times and being a 34 DE means you're dropping into coverage every once in a while.

You have to rotate fronts and roll coverages in the NFL all the time or you're getting diced. Patriots have dropped Gabe Jacas and Dremont Jones into coverage at times as well. It's a completely different thing to college ball defensively.
 
You mean we could have been playing Bain at cornerback all that time and didn’t think of it?!
 
They're playing as a 34 DE at times and being a 34 DE means you're dropping into coverage every once in a while.

You have to rotate fronts and roll coverages in the NFL all the time or you're getting diced. Patriots have dropped Gabe Jacas and Dremont Jones into coverage at times as well. It's a completely different thing to college ball defensively.
Almost half his snaps he dropped. That’s coaching malpractice for what that guy is. I get scheme but dropping an elite pass rusher that much is like using an elite shooter to just set picks and post up.
 
Almost half his snaps he dropped. That’s coaching malpractice for what that guy is. I get scheme but dropping an elite pass rusher that much is like using an elite shooter to just set picks and post up.
Serious question for you. Do you think the Bucs are trying to justify a move to DT by pulling this stunt?
 
Serious question for you. Do you think the Bucs are trying to justify a move to DT by pulling this stunt?
Imo I don’t think that but I know teams do funny business to keep from paying incentives so even though I doubt it I wouldn’t put anything past them.
 
Keeping it 100, he just isn’t good. There is really no other way to say it. He wasn’t getting to the QB so dropping him in coverage allows the DC to get some use from him.
Give it a break. Bain is a rookie. He needs time to acclimate to the Bucs and the NFL. But I agree putting him at that position is not smart at all. Its ******* stupid.
 
Keeping it 100, he just isn’t good. There is really no other way to say it. He wasn’t getting to the QB so dropping him in coverage allows the DC to get some use from him.
Another wild take from a poster that’s flown under the radar as a hater for too long now. Needed to be called out
 
Give it a break. Bain is a rookie. He needs time to acclimate to the Bucs and the NFL. But I agree putting him at that position is not smart at all. Its ******* stupid.
Next year, if the Bucs draft Jeremiah Smith, by this logic he should be employed as a fullback.

And in 2028, if they draft Malachi Toney, they can have him split time at wide receiver and center.
 
Keeping it 100, he just isn’t good. There is really no other way to say it. He wasn’t getting to the QB so dropping him in coverage allows the DC to get some use from him.
Ive found it very interesting (not really i know why), people are incredibly quick to call UM guys a bust a turn on them.

Cam Ward is improving and on par with other top picks statistically, and the hate he is receiving and calling him trash is out of this world. The quickest I've ever seen for a #1 overall pick.

Bain, 4 games in his career and hurt, people calling him one of the biggest 1st round busts already and writing him off.
 
They’re dropping because rushing him isn’t working at all. Something is off. He isn’t as violent or dynamic.
 
They’re dropping because rushing him isn’t working at all. Something is off. He isn’t as violent or dynamic.
He’s barely played over 100 snaps this year , then he’s rushed just a tad over half his snaps So he hasn’t played much because of multiple injuries and when he does play he’s dropping almost half the time . Imo that theory doesn’t jive.
 
Same people who are writing him off 4 weeks into his career in the nfl all prob gave up on him prior to his last year here. So continue to not believe.

I hope Cam Ward keeps progressing and shows enough that a team with a plan snatches him up for his second contract and his career really takes off.
 
Either you’re trolling or have no clue what you’re talking about. Bain has had multiple injuries including an ac joint and groin issue which both are huge at that position. Dropping a DL is a scheme thing not a he’s not good thing.
I am a Bain fan but I am just keeping it 100. He has not been good. Ain’t no other way to say it. I have not given up on him but I also have to accept what I am seeing.

It’s not a good look when we have to blame coaches and scheme for a players play.
 
Give it a break. Bain is a rookie. He needs time to acclimate to the Bucs and the NFL. But I agree putting him at that position is not smart at all. Its ******* stupid.
I hope he gets it together and I agree he needs time but those stats are eye dropping bad. That’s what concerns me He wasn’t getting tackles, pressures or sacks. He looks awfully slow and I am not sure if he is healthy.
 
Back
Top