Off-Topic Why does UM tech efforts seem non-existent?

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
I’ve been in software engineering for 10 years now, and have my own local startup. For those of you out of the loop, the tech scene in Miami has exploded in recent years. Prior to covid, it was a punch line. But there’s been a steady exodus of tech and VC from California and New York into south Florida and the area is definitely one of the top in the country at this point (though definitely still behind SF, Seattle, Austin).

Question is why hasn’t UM done jack to encourage and capitalize on this lol. It’s a seismic shift that they are perfectly positioned to benefit from. Both MDC and FIU have larger and more aggressive tech programs, from StartUp FIU to the new AI lab and programs MDC is offering.

Computer Science has never been a UM strong suit but at this point, the fact there hasn’t been a larger investment to change that is ridiculous. There’s a lot of low hanging fruit as well.

Advertisement
I’ve been in software engineering for 10 years now, and have my own local startup. For those of you out of the loop, the tech scene in Miami has exploded in recent years. Prior to covid, it was a punch line. But there’s been a steady exodus of tech and VC from California and New York into south Florida and the area is definitely one of the top in the country at this point (though definitely still behind SF, Seattle, Austin).

Question is why hasn’t UM done jack to encourage and capitalize on this lol. It’s a seismic shift that they are perfectly positioned to benefit from. Both MDC and FIU have larger and more aggressive tech programs, from StartUp FIU to the new AI lab and programs MDC is offering.

Computer Science has never been a UM strong suit but at this point, the fact there hasn’t been a larger investment to change that is ridiculous. There’s a lot of low hanging fruit as well.
I was briefly a C Engineering later CIS major back in the late 90s. They treated them like any other 100 year old subject. No different than history or math.

I was briefly a C Engineering later CIS major back in the late 90s. They treated them like any other 100 year old subject. No different than history or math.
I was a CIS major in the early 90s. I had more actual programming experience in community college.

Good recap and summary. Not a whiff of UM in it lmao. Seems like the entire institution outside of the medical system is sleeping at the wheel. It’s a tremendous opportunity to boost the brand value and grow academically while benefiting the city.

I’m happy to chat with whoever there to advise on how to get the ball rolling if anyone wants to post or DM any ideas.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back