Who and what are the Canes?

imurcane

Banned
Banned
I think Cane fans are rightfully upset with the result from Saturday’s prime time game. I think the Canes are right to be disappointed. It does seem like Canes and fans alike have turned the page. I think that we have seen anyone can beat anyone on any given game day. What starts to define the season for me is how the Canes respond and rebound against UNC. Will the Canes be exposed, or will the Canes become a Category 5 that rips the hearts out of their opponents? It did get me to thinking, what is the product we have on the field exactly? My hypothesis is that our recruiting has not been top 15 over the past 4-5 years. Are there certain spots or positions on the field that we are able to minimize a lacking in talent? Let’s take a deeper look.

I have been more impressed by our defense, so Ill begin there with the front 7.

The DL has arguably the best coach in cfb. This is what he is working with:

McIntosh 3 star
Norton 4 star
Willis 5 star
Fines 3 star
Moten 4 star
Jenkins 3 star

Chad Thomas 5 star
Trent Harris 4 star
Demetrius Jackson (RS) 3 star
Scott Patchan 4 star
Patrick Bethel 4 star
JoJo Jackson 4 star

So maybe we are more talented than I thought? Clearly the talent wasn’t performing prior to this year.

Linebacker
McCloud 4 star
Shaq 3 star
Pinckney 3 star
Gordinier 3 star
Perry 4 star
McCray 3 star
Smith 3 star

I initially was only going to write up the top 2 at each spot. That is tough to do with all of our injuries. Based on stars only, maybe the kids were talented coming in, mores than we think of now, at least the front 7. Up until this year, the production was definitely less than their rankings coming to the U.

And we aren't really even factoring in depth now. I would say the front 7 has performed way above their high school rankings. Coaching matters!

Im going to come back to the secondary. Here are some OL thoughts along with roster thoughts.

It looks like we have 76 ships currently.

Deduct:
Owens, Young, Bruce GONE
Gordinier, Sunny (after 5 games), Gray, Cager INJURED

Factor:

15 Scholarship OL

15/85 seems too high . . . 15/70 ******* ridiculous

Do we even have 7-8 legit OL that should be at Miami

Last edited:
Advertisement
Only going to get better going forward

BTW, wasn't Shaq a 4 star and a 5 star at one point if I'm not mistaken... But that just goes to show how that can change at any point

Tells you just how important recruiting is too. Then when you marry that talent with great coaches you play for titles.

Advertisement
I think Cane fans are rightfully upset with the result from Saturday’s prime time game. I think the Canes are right to be disappointed. It does seem like Canes and fans alike have turned the page. I think that we have seen anyone can beat anyone on any given game day. What starts to define the season for me is how the Canes respond and rebound against UNC. Will the Canes be exposed, or will the Canes become a Category 5 that rips the hearts out of their opponents? It did get me to thinking, what is the product we have on the field exactly? My hypothesis is that our recruiting has not been top 15 over the past 4-5 years. Are there certain spots or positions on the field that we are able to minimize a lacking in talent? Let’s take a deeper look.

I have been more impressed by our defense, so Ill begin there with the front 7.

The DL has arguably the best coach in cfb. This is what he is working with:

McIntosh 3 star
Norton 4 star
Willis 5 star
Fines 3 star
Moten 4 star
Jenkins 3 star

Chad Thomas 5 star
Trent Harris 4 star
Demetrius Jackson (RS) 3 star
Scott Patchan 4 star
Patrick Bethel 4 star
JoJo Jackson 4 star

So maybe we are more talented than I thought? Clearly the talent wasn’t performing prior to this year.

Linebacker
McCloud 4 star
Shaq 4 star
Pinckney 3 star
Gordinier 3 star
Perry 4 star
McCray 3 star
Smith 3 star

I initially was only going to write up the top 2 at each spot. That is tough to do with all of our injuries. Based on stars only, maybe the kids were talented coming in, mores than we think of now, at least the front 7. Up until this year, the production was definitely less than their rankings coming to the U.

And we aren't really even factoring in depth now. I would say the front 7 has performed way above their high school rankings. Coaching matters!

Im going to come back to the secondary. Here are some OL thoughts along with roster thoughts.

It looks like we have 76 ships currently.

Deduct:
Owens, Young, Bruce GONE
Gordinier, Sunny (after 5 games), Gray, Cager INJURED

Factor:

15 Scholarship OL

15/85 seems too high . . . 15/70 ****ing ridiculous

Do we even have 7-8 legit OL that should be at Miami

FIFY

Gonna take 3 years to turn this program around. We have a core of very good players, but far too many jags, especially on the OL. If we didn't have to recruit against FSU, UF, Alabama, and LSU, among others, we might be back sooner,, but we need more wins to attract top recruits. Unfortunately we won't get there with what we have now. Team is thin on personnel and OL is a dumpster fire.

Advertisement
Back