Whatever Happens, Some Changes Need to be Made

CaneinBroward

Recruit
I hope to God Mario signs on to be the HC and Rad signs on to be the AD - although both are very much still up in the air and if they do land both, it will be the equivalent of the guy who walks through **** and comes out smelling like a rose. However, this situation must never happen again and the Miami administration needs an adult in the room to make the necessary changes to prevent it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears this is the timeline of how things went down. Going into the season, the Canes are expected to compete for the Coastal with D'Eriq King coming back along with a host of other players who opted to come back for their senior years instead of heading for the draft. Canes start horribly at 2-4 due to bad coaching and key season-ending injuries to King, RB, and other positions. Blake throws Manny under the bus at this point and says he will be evaluated at the end of the season.

For some reason, the BOT doesn't decide at this point that any changes should be made. Manny is forced to play TVD who comes in and plays like the second coming of Jim Kelly while also playing younger guys on defense and other positions. The Canes win 3 in a row. Then, the Canes lose to arch rival FSU with a 4th quarter badly coached by Manny. It seems at this point the BOT (at least some of the heavy hitters) have had enough. They want Mario as their coach. Either Blake disagrees, they decide Blake didn't properly hire Manny in the first place with an adequate coaching search, or they are just plain tired of Blake, and they can him the Monday after FSU. Instead of pursuing Blake's replacement immediately, they begin negotiations on their own with Mario's people while keeping Manny on as coach.

After the Duke game, the BOT then decides to start looking for an AD. An AD by the way, who will be okay with having them tell him that Mario is the guy they want as coach. Miraculously, Rad is actually interested in signing on. Personally, I think it is because they would be tripling his salary reportedly and Venables and other assistant coaches are leaving Clemson, not because of the Miami job itself. Why else would someone of his reputation in college football sign on to such a situation where the most important decision in the athletic department is made without his input?

Also, this small group of BOT members who are pushing for these changes are led by a mega rich donor. Only he's not really mega rich yet. He is rich don't get me wrong, but he's "about" to become mega rich. He's already talking about building a stadium on the campus of Coral Gables High School with money he is supposed to have soon, but he doesn't have yet. I mean, the BOT is really counting their chickens before they hatch in this scenario. It just boggles my mind and is frankly quite embarrassing as this has been handled so poorly and Manny (whether he deserves it or not), is flapping in the wind waiting to either come back or get his buyout.

The administration needs to decide to have a standing committee for athletics that meets quarterly. This committee should be given authority to act on the BOT's behalf as a whole so these decisions can be made in a fashion that is organized, well thought out and with the flexibility needed to make these decisions in a short amount of time. Not like a coup attempt where a faction of the board takes over.

Advertisement
Dude they have an athletic committee on the board. That’s what Epstein was in charge of. Look how good that worked out

committee ugh GIF by South Park

Dude they have an athletic committee on the board. That’s what Epstein was in charge of. Look how good that worked out
It is a visiting committee, not a standing committee. It meets once a year.

I don't know how a committee overseeing a department which brings in as much revenue as athletics could meet once a year. Make it a standing committee which meets quarterly and have the BOT vote on its members yearly so if there are guys like Epstein who are clearly ******** things up, they can be voted out.

Plus, what power does the visiting committee even have if a group of BOT members can come in and just take things over? This is major college athletics, it's not like running a fantasy league team.

Bunch of word salad from a guy who doesn’t have the faintest idea what has happened outside of Twitter
As I said, correct me if I am wrong. I am just going by what is being reported and frankly it is embarrassing. The information I am getting this from is nationally known reporters, not Johnny in Albuquerque who has a blog.

What is incorrect?

Advertisement
The issue is and always has been that not everybody wants to go the same direction. You can have all the committees you want, but if a significant portion of the board don’t want to prioritize football, then we won’t get the kind of focus and support that’s needed to actually be good. Back in the day a coach could just do it themselves, but that’s over.

Everybody’s so pumped about the talk, but it’s all nonsense. Some people say there’s plenty of money and we’re getting this and that guy, and other people still don’t want that. As of now, I don’t see that the money will flow, or at least not for long. Even if they pony up for an AD and HC, I’d be surprised if they continue to produce new money to do new things. Until EVERYBODY is on the same page, nothing really changes.

I hope to God Mario signs on to be the HC and Rad signs on to be the AD - although both are very much still up in the air and if they do land both, it will be the equivalent of the guy who walks through **** and comes out smelling like a rose. However, this situation must never happen again and the Miami administration needs an adult in the room to make the necessary changes to prevent it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears this is the timeline of how things went down. Going into the season, the Canes are expected to compete for the Coastal with D'Eriq King coming back along with a host of other players who opted to come back for their senior years instead of heading for the draft. Canes start horribly at 2-4 due to bad coaching and key season-ending injuries to King, RB, and other positions. Blake throws Manny under the bus at this point and says he will be evaluated at the end of the season.

For some reason, the BOT doesn't decide at this point that any changes should be made. Manny is forced to play TVD who comes in and plays like the second coming of Jim Kelly while also playing younger guys on defense and other positions. The Canes win 3 in a row. Then, the Canes lose to arch rival FSU with a 4th quarter badly coached by Manny. It seems at this point the BOT (at least some of the heavy hitters) have had enough. They want Mario as their coach. Either Blake disagrees, they decide Blake didn't properly hire Manny in the first place with an adequate coaching search, or they are just plain tired of Blake, and they can him the Monday after FSU. Instead of pursuing Blake's replacement immediately, they begin negotiations on their own with Mario's people while keeping Manny on as coach.

After the Duke game, the BOT then decides to start looking for an AD. An AD by the way, who will be okay with having them tell him that Mario is the guy they want as coach. Miraculously, Rad is actually interested in signing on. Personally, I think it is because they would be tripling his salary reportedly and Venables and other assistant coaches are leaving Clemson, not because of the Miami job itself. Why else would someone of his reputation in college football sign on to such a situation where the most important decision in the athletic department is made without his input?

Also, this small group of BOT members who are pushing for these changes are led by a mega rich donor. Only he's not really mega rich yet. He is rich don't get me wrong, but he's "about" to become mega rich. He's already talking about building a stadium on the campus of Coral Gables High School with money he is supposed to have soon, but he doesn't have yet. I mean, the BOT is really counting their chickens before they hatch in this scenario. It just boggles my mind and is frankly quite embarrassing as this has been handled so poorly and Manny (whether he deserves it or not), is flapping in the wind waiting to either come back or get his buyout.

The administration needs to decide to have a standing committee for athletics that meets quarterly. This committee should be given authority to act on the BOT's behalf as a whole so these decisions can be made in a fashion that is organized, well thought out and with the flexibility needed to make these decisions in a short amount of time. Not like a coup attempt where a faction of the board takes over.
Stopped reading after this…BOT had little to no say on thing bruh

The issue is and always has been that not everybody wants to go the same direction. You can have all the committees you want, but if a significant portion of the board don’t want to prioritize football, then we won’t get the kind of focus and support that’s needed to actually be good. Back in the day a coach could just do it themselves, but that’s over.

Everybody’s so pumped about the talk, but it’s all nonsense. Some people say there’s plenty of money and we’re getting this and that guy, and other people still don’t want that. As of now, I don’t see that the money will flow, or at least not for long. Even if they pony up for an AD and HC, I’d be surprised if they continue to produce new money to do new things. Until EVERYBODY is on the same page, nothing really changes.
That's my point though about making it a standing committee that meets 4 times a year and the BOT votes on its members yearly. It is so unorganized right now. I would be interested in seeing how other schools handle their athletic programs with their BOT. Unfortunately, it seems like Miami is the one that always seems to have these issues.

Advertisement

Don’t get too heated, my guy. You’re relying on reports from some of the poorest examples of journalism known to man. Reporters have been clamoring to break this story, so they’ve considered any source that walks on campus Deepthroat (if you don’t get that reference, Google it).

Current admin is leaking faulty information, former admin, etc. yet, these beat writers are taking it all so they can continue to get more follows, RTs, Likes, etc. People feel bad for Manny and think the school is a circus. The local media created that storyline because they bought it hook, line and sinker, vs. actually doing some digging and getting solid sources - not believing anyone that’s come their way.

That's my point though about making it a standing committee that meets 4 times a year and the BOT votes on its members yearly. It is so unorganized right now. I would be interested in seeing how other schools handle their athletic programs with their BOT. Unfortunately, it seems like Miami is the one that always seems to have these issues.

No.

Hire a good AD, give him the resources he needs, and let him evaluate/reform the Dept.

Having the BOT weigh in on everything makes you Texas

Im saying as long as there is a significant portion of the BOT that doesn’t want football or doesn’t want to follow the committee, they will continue to undermine whatever you try to get done from within. At other football schools, the team long ago cemented itself as a part of the university you just don’t f**k with. Miami never did that. We’ve never had a real commitment to football and nobody’s afraid to go against the team.

Don’t get too heated, my guy. You’re relying on reports from some of the poorest examples of journalism known to man. Reporters have been clamoring to break this story, so they’ve considered any source that walks on campus Deepthroat (if you don’t get that reference, Google it).

Current admin is leaking faulty information, former admin, etc. yet, these beat writers are taking it all so they can continue to get more follows, RTs, Likes, etc. People feel bad for Manny and think the school is a circus. The local media created that storyline because they bought it hook, line and sinker, vs. actually doing some digging and getting solid sources - not believing anyone that’s come their way.
I hope you are right. The facts just don't seem to align with a well organized process. Are they trying to hire a coach prior to hiring an AD? Yes, unless you have information no one else knows.

Advertisement
No.

Hire a good AD, give him the resources he needs, and let him evaluate/reform the Dept.

Having the BOT weigh in on everything makes you Texas
I totally agree with that. However, they are not going in that direction. They are trying to hire the HC of the football team on their own without the expertise of an AD. Obviously Blake did a crappy job with the Manny hire. Why keep Blake on until 3 weeks to go in the season? Why wait until after the season is over to begin interviewing?

I wasn't stating the BOT should weigh in on everything. I'm not even saying a standing athletics committee should handle the day to day business of the athletic department. I'm just saying that the athletics committee should be the oversight of the Athletic Director and meet more than one time a year with him to review the state of the athletics department and coaching personnel. Also, IF the AD is not performing his duties adequately, the committee should be given the power to make those changes instead of a power struggle of members on the entire Board.

Last edited:

But think of all the Drama we would miss..

Advertisement
Back