What I've learned about the Canes in the 2014 season

P

PalmBeachCane

My personal observations of the 2014 Canes and Al Golden:

When the season started we as fans all agreed that if the defense finished top 40 we would be happy, well it seems that this defense is on pace to finish top 25.. Yet it doesn't feel like a success. Many Golden supporters claim the reason for a 6-4 record is the fact that we're starting a freshman QB, and while Kayaa is a complete stud theres no reason in year 4 at the program to have to put that much pressure on a kid who was in HS last year. This is completely on Golden and his inability to create depth, he whiffed on multiple Qb prospects (Dewey, Crow, Olsen). While this team in my opinion is the best team Goldens fielded since being at Miami you are what your record says you are and thats 6-4. Yeah while this teams schedule is much improved from last season you can't sit here and tell me that any team on this schedule has more talent than Miami besides FSU and even that looked like a toss up. Al Golden had his shot to save his job and turn around this program in 60 minutes, and he completely failed in the 4th quarter. Fact of the matter is Golden is 0-4 in what many fans and alumni consider the biggest game of the season, he's left this program in wayyyy better shape than what it was when he arrived but its still not enough. As much as I wanted this to workout, it hasn't. Time to move on and try again. Our players played there asses off last night and I applaud them for the effort but its time for a fresh start. Heres to hoping this will finally be the last fresh start on the road back to dominance. Go Canes.

While none of us wanted to lose to FSU the only silver lining might be that Golden is finally shown the door, a win last night would've bought golden at least another season and just further delayed the inevitable, Golden can't win big games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is completely on Golden and his inability to create depth, he whiffed on multiple Qb prospects (Dewey, Crow, Olsen).

I disagree here. Dewey had to retire from football because of a career ending injury, while in April, when Ryan Williams went down, I don't believe anyone thought that the Quarterback was going to be anyone but Kevin Olsen. Let's face it, in August our quarterback competition came down to two guys battling it out for what was going to be the third string slot this season. In the end I think it all worked out for us but I don't know how anyone can say he didn't create depth when our starting quarterback was expected to be red shirted and have less than three months to try and win the job away from two guys who have been here for over a year.

Advertisement
Back