What is the boards thought on this?

troyskiles

[]_[] Forever
I have been in the business world for over 30 years at Ford and at Siemens, most of my years as a manager. As a manager, I always believed that if someone on my team was struggling (Blake Baker), it was my responsibility to believe that person could do a good job, if I gave that person all the tools they needed to succeed. If I did that and the person still did not meet expectation, then I was OK firing them. Not until then.
Do you cats think Manny will keep Blake one more year and put all the pieces in place around him to be successful as DC and give him one more year?
Is he bringing in TRob and others with no Co-DC title telling them that if Blake is not up for the job, they will be considered next year for the DC job?
I find it odd that Manny would fire the whole staff on D and not replace the DC, but we have done stupider stuff in the past.
Either way, just wondering and now I will go back to my Buffalo Trace and enjoy watching what is unfolding before our very eyes on D at The U.
As Ice Cube said: Today was a good day! Enjoy your weekend fella's!

1610225980172.png

Advertisement
I have been in the business world for over 30 years at Ford and at Siemens, most of my years as a manager. As a manager, I always believed that if someone on my team was struggling (Blake Baker), it was my responsibility to believe that person could do a good job, if I gave that person all the tools they needed to succeed. If I did that and the person still did not meet expectation, then I was OK firing them. Not until then.
Do you cats think Manny will keep Blake one more year and put all the pieces in place around him to be successful as DC and give him one more year?
Is he bringing in TRob and others with no Co-DC title telling them that if Blake is not up for the job, they will be considered next year for the DC job?
I find it odd that Manny would fire the whole staff on D and not replace the DC, but we have done stupider stuff in the past.
Either way, just wondering and now I will go back to my Buffalo Trace and enjoy watching what is unfolding before our very eyes on D at The U.

View attachment 140534
Blake getting fired

As a manager, I always believed that if someone on my team was struggling (Blake Baker), it was my responsibility to believe that person could do a good job,

This doesn't work, at all, when you hire someone unqualified for the position. No amount of coaching/training in the world is gonna help a high school drop-out working at NASA.

I don’t think you can compare apples to apples in any personnel decisions. All people and organizations have many different variables to consider.

In Baker’s case, he’s had 2 years to prove himself. In the win now culture of CFB, I believe that’s plenty of time to have proven whether or not he’s up to the challenge.

I believe that is exactly what is happening. Maybe it’s the right answer. Manny seems to be willing to do the right things so I’ll leave it to Manny’s judgement if that’s wham he wants to do. It’s his job on the if it falls so he deserves the tools he wants to succeed

Advertisement

View attachment 140534
Ironically, I worked for one of Ford's vendors and a company that Siemens took over. You are correct in your approach. But when a good person under me wasn't effective as a manager and was still a highly skilled employee, I gave them the option to move into a different role. The two times that happened, both opted to find another job.

What skills does Baker bring to the table?

Honestly stopped reading when I saw the Buffalo Trace. That's one of my favorites

I hear you OP, as a manager. The expectations here are like this program won a recent NC, regardess if that ship sailed decades ago.

The talent on Defense this season was suspect - the DEs got a pass rush on occasion, the DTs were underwhelming, the linebackers were seldom to be seen near their gap or a ballcarrier and the DBs were toast on 3rd and forever or key downs.

The saying that the ‘players make the coach’ has some merit - so does the saying ‘Miami doesn’t develop talent.’ It’s the players we get; sometimes not the best coached in high school, so that takes away from growth potential if you have to teach them things they should know instinctively by college (reading and understanding the playbook/ concept, fake punts, turning your head on coverage, etc)
Who would argue that this D had better athletes/overall position players than any of the higher rated D’s since 2017?

This past season we replaced a beast in the D-line, a linebacking corps that played together forever, and some good DBs. Take away any one of those (let alone all three) and you’re a lot less disruptive on D. You might say it (and yes not making adjustments with the limited personel page available ) is how you give up 1196 yards and 99 pts in two games.

Baker may not be the guy, but what he has is a knowledge of the system, what its supposed to do, and loyalty to the HC. Maybe one more season with new coaches around him, and some more experience. It would be a shame to fire him and get another Enos situation.

View attachment 140534
You know **** well the DC role isn't for training wheels at D1P5 premier programs.

You would also know anyone holding a "Co-***" title, isn't.

Agree though, leaders need to, within reason, find the right seat on the bus for the right athletes.

Not everyone can drive.

Advertisement
if someone at ford is sending out unsafe vehicles you gotta let them go.

manny’s got to realize his responsibility is to the team and kiss, not his friends.

if someone at ford is sending out unsafe vehicles you gotta let them go.

manny’s got to realize his responsibility is to the team and kiss, not his friends.
Idk that’s more of a process failure. Doesn’t really fall on one

I’d say imagine you own a restaurant and the head chef keeps putting out shït food. The recipes have been good in the past. It’s just the new head chef that’s trash.

You can hire a new sous chef, a few new line cooks, and even a bartender (input Banda joke) but at the end of the day, if the head chef sucks then you likely need to go in a different direction.

Idk that’s more of a process failure. Doesn’t really fall on one

I’d say imagine you own a restaurant and the head chef keeps putting out shït food. The recipes have been good in the past. It’s just the new head chef that’s trash.

You can hire a new sous chef, a few new line cooks, and even a bartender (input Banda joke) but at the end of the day, if the head chef sucks then you likely need to go in a different direction.
good analogy. but if the soups chef keeps overcooking the food, you don’t decide to give them another year just because you’re changing produce suppliers.

Advertisement
Ironically, I worked for one of Ford's vendors and a company that Siemens took over. You are correct in your approach. But when a good person under me wasn't effective as a manager and was still a highly skilled employee, I gave them the option to move into a different role. The two times that happened, both opted to find another job.

What skills does Baker bring to the table?
Not sure, haven't seen any yet.

Advertisement
And the new DC inherents mannys latest hires.?
Wishful thinking on my part....speak it into existence.

it’s possible the new dc has already agreed to terms but they have kept it quiet for some reason? Perhaps the new dc signed off on it? All hopeful guesses on my part.

Advertisement
Back