What is our base defense?

Baker is an average DC. He's neither D’Nofrio nor Brent Venables. Diaz needs to upgrade the DC- what concerns me is that he thinks Baker just needs more time. He's not the dude. The sooner he realizes it, the better. If we're lucky, a school like Georgia State or University of Portland will hire away Baker to be the HC and Diaz will be able to hire a better DC.
Diaz is smart. But being smart can have two negative outcomes that usually means the same thing: a) you’re not smart enough, b) you’re too smart (Which means you’re still not smart enough, because your blind spots are debilitating).

- Is Diaz trying to create a coaching “tree” before he builds a program? (a chicken/egg conundrum)
- Is Diaz smart enough to recognize he needs to pivot from his signature belief and pivot. (I’m talking about his defensive concepts)

I read years ago how Lane Kiffin convinced Nick Saban to change his offensive philosophy (which shows how much the HC, even while being a defensive HC, determines offensive calls). I can’t imagine Diaz being more football knowledgeable or arrogant than Saban, yet Saban was able to see that one of his central tenets not only could be challenged, but ultimately needed to be changed. And he did.

Diaz believes in his defense. So, the issue may not be whether he can/will get rid of Baker, but whether Diaz can shed his affinity for his defensive concepts. Would he even hire the next “Venables” if given the chance — if he wouldn’t run “Diaz concepts“?

The question for every not smart enough/too smart person is the same: “can you get/stay out of your own way?“

Advertisement
Baker is an average DC. He's neither D’Nofrio nor Brent Venables. Diaz needs to upgrade the DC- what concerns me is that he thinks Baker just needs more time. He's not the dude. The sooner he realizes it, the better. If we're lucky, a school like Georgia State or University of Portland will hire away Baker to be the HC and Diaz will be able to hire a better DC.
Our problem now is eerily similar to Golden/NoD

While Golden didn't want to fire his boy out of blind love (and it being his defense), Manny has no one else he can bring in to assist him in running HIS defense. The plan would be for Baker to eventually get a promotion and then replace him with...GULP...Patke or the bartender.

Miami's defensive scheme was thoroughly exposed by Clemson. They literally showed the entire nation how to beat the Canes defense (and beat it easily). How many 3rd and long conversions? It's a joke defense and if you can't get off the field on 3rd and long with that kind of talent, it needs to be shelved.

funny you bring up 3rd and long. clemson converted one 3rd and long all game i believe out of 8 or 9 tries in that down and distance

also, i know our D does get exposed but most defenses are getting boat raced now. ****, bama just gave up nearly 700 yards to ole miss. this is going to be common across CFB even with the elite teams who have the talent on D. very few teams are shut dwon defenses. fact is, while our D isnt perfect, it got enough stops for us to make it a game. our O didnt do anything with it. we were never gonna go in and stop them every time. theyre going to score and put up yards and points. theyre too good not to. we have to go score for score with them in return.

Advertisement
I gotta be honest, I dont understand why we are using stunts to defend runs. Stunts are for pass rushing and that only. If you stunt to defend the run, you need linebackers to fill the open gaps, otherwise, they will be huge and teams will exploit it. And our linebackers arent doing the trick here.

Since you mentioned Diaz at Texas: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...xas-longhorns-todd-orland-defense-line-stunts
From this article: "He loves to blitz, and in his time at Texas, he had issues with players being out of position in run situations because of a blitz." This is exactly whats happening here.

Sam Brooks didnt put Etienne on his butt because Brooks shot the gap and came with everything he had. He read his keys, plugged the open gap and made a tackle for no gain. Added to that: Whats the problem with stopping someone for a gain of 1 or two yards? Why the **** does everything have to be boom or bust? We dont read stuff, we just run with the head towards the wall. It works against inferior competition but if you are up against Clemson, guess what: You are ****ed.

And the fact that we have to install gap integrity makes me cringe to no end. I will post some quotes from a 2016 CanesWarning article that demonstrated what Diaz is all about. My take is in bold: https://caneswarning.com/2016/01/08/breaking-miami-hurricanes-manny-diaz/

"The interior of the defense attacks very aggressively with very little regard for gap integrity. The linebackers have aggressive run reads and immediately shoot gaps." Thats really bad. Its what got him fired at Texas.

"The zone coverage is fairly simplistic, with pattern matching not being used." We ran Cover 2 on a 3rd and long in the second quarter and they had Clemson receivers on both sidelines butt naked. They dropped a TD. Simple zone coverages get exploited in todays football with spread and air raid concepts being specifically designed to exploit zone.

"Diaz goes to about the opposite end of that spectrum that you can. He wants negative plays even if that means giving up chunk plays to the offense." This is the problem right here. Everything is just attack, attack, attack. Its like a matador vs a bull. The bull will run the matador over and kill him, if the matador doesnt do his job. But the bull gets humiliated if the matador plays with him.

"
The aggressiveness of the front 7, while exciting, can create massive holes in the run game. Part of Diaz’s teaching is for players to attack where they best think they can make a stop. This can lead to 2 defenders being in one gap, leaving a wide open lane for the running back. Miami will see a significant jump in tackles for loss going forward, but there will be times a running back will bust a huge run on a play that realistically should have been stopped at the line of scrimmage." This was predicted four years ago and this is whats happening.
Stopped reading after stunts. There are stunts for the running game.....hence the name "run stunts".

What frustrates me is that there are just so many examples of fundamentally sound schemes that also create a ton of turnovers. Would anyone complain about how many turnovers we generated from 2000-2005 playing a very fundamental defense? manny should not marry himself to this system bc it has consistently failed in the big spot. If we switched DCs and systems on Saturday, we’d have beaten the tigers.
How did they play great defense from 2000-2005? Having a roster full if NFL stars is the answer. It was a vanilla scheme but when you're way better than everyone, vanilla schemes are good enough. They ran the same defense with Randy Shannon as HC and it progressively got worse as the overall talent got worse.

Let's also at least try to acknowledge that offenses today are much more difficult to defend than they were 20 years ago.

How did they play great defense from 2000-2005? Having a roster full if NFL stars is the answer. It was a vanilla scheme but when you're way better than everyone, vanilla schemes are good enough. They ran the same defense with Randy Shannon as HC and it progressively got worse as the overall talent got worse.

Let's also at least try to acknowledge that offenses today are much more difficult to defend than they were 20 years ago.
Which makes executing and coaching fundamentals even more important.

Advertisement
WARNING WARNING...semi-positive post incoming:

This will not be popular BUT...after watching key places where our defense gets blown up, it looks to me like our two biggest issues are overpursuit and initial LB alignment. That fix is not really all that difficult ( at least to me, armchair linebacker). I do agree the LB decision making is perplexing sometimes. We have ALWAYS had pursuit issues, even in the late 80’s and 90’s. Just how our defenses play. We CAN recover, especially against the remainder of the teams we play.

That's a lot of good stuff but let me just chime in on one aspect of this that I hate. Our zone concepts are ******* trash. We're not pattern matching. We are spot dropping! Just unreal. No wonder there is zero awareness in the secondary. Next time you see a QB complete a pass in the middle of the field turn and run without any of our defenders having any clue you know why.

One more thing. I hate the way Baker runs this scheme but I don't hate the scheme in general. I actually liked the way Diaz ran it as DC. The difference is that Diaz had years to mature and tinker with the scheme. Diaz adjusted his scheme to his players strengths for any particular year. Baker is just lost. I still had certain issues even with Manny running the show but at the end of the day, I could live with those. The 2017 and 2018 defenses were great examples of what Diaz could do with this same scheme that Baker is making a mockery of.

Baker is trash but in 2017 and 2018 our defense had the same problems when facing teams where we didn’t have a talent advantage. Even with Diaz at the helm we had jelly Bryant going 15/15 to start a game with three straight TD drives.

Let me explain this and it should put everyone at ease. We played not to win but we played to be safe. If you watch film you know that clemsons main guy is 9. So all they do is use him for screens, flats and running the ball. Cover two does not help on screens at all. **** if they def watched film u rush the passer n then notice nobody on the line is moving no one is touching you. It must be a **** screen. Like most of the **** I seen was bone head plays n not using there football brain. Just not def offense as well. We needed to play more man on them n lock them down. They dont have the wide outs like they use to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back